Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2022, 03:19 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,766,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Try 150k, you stupid ****.
Many more than that:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan..._in_China_(PRC)
At the top there is a table saying 404k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 03:34 AM

It is sad that the Taiwanese are so blind that they don't see what is going on, how they are being abused for imperialist goals of the West, by people who don't give a crap about Taiwanese lives. Don't believe me? An interesting quote from an US strategist named Elbridge Colby, one of the writers of the US National Defense Strategy:

Quote:
“China must be provoked into initiating any escalation of the conflict, so that it will always appear the aggressor,” writes defense journalist Aris Roussinos, summarizing the Colby strategy.

But won’t there be Taiwanese casualties? Yes. China “must be permitted to strike as indiscriminately as possible,” in this scenario. “Colby further urges the US not to provide potential civilian targets with air defences, reasoning that collateral damage will whip up the public anger against China necessary to winning a war,” Roussinos adds.

In other words, deaths of Taiwan citizens (the “collateral damage” he mentions) would be a public relations coup for the US side.

“Forcing China to escalate could be in our [US] interests,” Roussinos points out. (One wonders if this scenario has received attention from the walking elements of “collateral damage” in Taiwan.)

I will send that link to politicians and put it on my own website...

https://www.fridayeveryday.com/strat...hina-into-war/

Old 02-07-2022, 03:36 AM

8,871 posts, read 8,457,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Many more than that:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan..._in_China_(PRC)
At the top there is a table saying 404k.
150k is China’s 2021 census.

Old 02-07-2022, 03:44 AM

Quote:
150k is China’s 2021 census.
Link please.

Old 02-07-2022, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Link please.
第七次全国人口普查

Old 02-07-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I guess I found out where the difference comes from. I translated your link into English and it says:

Quote:
observing the countries and regions where taiwanese people worked overseas in 207 years, 54.9% of the 404,000 people went to chinese mainland (including hong kong and macao), 112,000 people went to southeast asia, accounting for 15.2%, and 95,000 people went to the united states, accounting for 12.9%, accounting for a total of 80%3%.
I guess it depends on whether or not the Chinese mainland includes HK and Macao. So, maybe of those 400k there are 200k living in HK and 40k in Macao, something like that.

Old 02-07-2022, 12:13 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,911,422 times
Quote:
Neither country will invade anyone.
China clearly said it will only use the military if Taiwan declares itself independent. The Chinese don't want to attack their own compatriots. There are family ties across the strait, half a million Taiwanese are living on the mainland. Not to mention the business ties, Taiwanese businesses enjoy privileges on the mainland, and they appreciate it. In fact, the business community would welcome a reunification because it would make their lives even easier.
I actually do agree with that statement, also the business ties with the west. China knows one thing for sure - war is bad for business.

War with China and the US has been a prepper dream fantasy for the last few years, usually by those having no idea how interlocked both countries are in trade and commerce, inspiring cellars full of canned beans across the US. It ain't happening.

Old 02-07-2022, 06:16 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,779,882 times
Quote:
There is a brand new video on the Taiwan issue, made by an American with good knowledge of China since he lived there for many years, although he now lives in Canada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt8BNKwCkX8

There is an interesting comment (some commentators on such platforms really contribute valuable information). In this case by the YT ID See Chun Chong on Chiang Kai Shek (the RU and later Taiwan leader, after he lost the civil war):

Another comment mentioning Christianity, from a Taiwanese user, obviously:
Yes, and Chiang Ching Kuo spent 12 years in the Soviet Union, 10 of which were spent doing involuntary labor at a steel factory where he met his Belarussian wife Faina. The younger Chiang was reportedly an ardent Trotskyite but turned his back on the Soviet Union after Trotsky fell from power and many of his supporters purged and killed and after this experience at the factory. Had all of this not happened, part of the later history of Mainland China, Taiwan, U.S. China relations, and all this talk of invasion or no invasion could have been very different.

Old 02-07-2022, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I guess I found out where the difference comes from. I translated your link into English and it says:
The links says nothing of the sort.

Quote:
I guess it depends on whether or not the Chinese mainland includes HK and Macao. So, maybe of those 400k there are 200k living in HK and 40k in Macao, something like that.
The 400k figure on Wikipedia comes from Taiwanese government which has a much broader definition of "living/working overseas". The 150k figure comes from China's official 2021 census. If they wanted to show how close Taiwan and China were they could've easily juiced up the figure but they couldn't be bothered as even the Chinese government knew no one would buy their crap.

And there aren't 200k Taiwanese living/working in HK lmao. Hong Kong has no attraction any more. The other way around is more like it. Taiwan is the third most popular migration destination for HKers after Canada and Britain.

Old 02-08-2022, 11:51 AM

671 posts, read 316,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Yes, and Chiang Ching Kuo spent 12 years in the Soviet Union, 10 of which were spent doing involuntary labor at a steel factory where he met his Belarussian wife Faina. The younger Chiang was reportedly an ardent Trotskyite but turned his back on the Soviet Union after Trotsky fell from power and many of his supporters purged and killed and after this experience at the factory. Had all of this not happened, part of the later history of Mainland China, Taiwan, U.S. China relations, and all this talk of invasion or no invasion could have been very different.
well, I don't know how you can link young chinag's experience in soviet to all of this. he's not in position to control anything until after his dad died in taiwan way later.

and yes he was sort of held hostage by the soviet but was released when sun decides to work with the soviet and the communists in the effort to build beat all the warlords to become a republic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia