Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 12:01 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,093,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have Chinese colleagues/clients who have an entire month off.
The average number of vacation days in HK is 14 and you can't take it all during the Chinese new year.

What are you talking about, they clearly can't go home if they live in HK as the quarantine is minimum 21 days.

Quote:
Sorry, but a lot of young urban Chinese are doing well these days. They could afford to have kids, but don't.
It is the same here in Europe by the way. The better people are doing, the fewer kids they have. It's a global phenomenon.
No, China's youth is not doing great
https://www.scmp.com/news/people-cul...ions-graduates

And even if they get a decent job, property prices compared to income are among the highest in the world.

There are also very little benefits for mothers and many are working very long work hours and have no time to take care of kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2022, 12:20 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,824,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
The average number of vacation days in HK is 14 and you can't take it all during the Chinese new year.

What are you talking about, they clearly can't go home if they live in HK as the quarantine is minimum 21 days.

No, China's youth is not doing great
https://www.scmp.com/news/people-cul...ions-graduates

And even if they get a decent job, property prices compared to income are among the highest in the world.

There are also very little benefits for mothers and many are working very long work hours and have no time to take care of kids.

Again, the pandemic is a temporary thing. Nobody will not take a good job, just because they would have to do without one golden week visit at home. Next new year things will probably be back to normal.

The quarantine is not minimum 21 days, but between 14 and 21 days.

Your link is from the pandemic years, I am sure they will fix issues once they are aware of them.
College graduates working in relatively simple jobs is also common here in Portugal, many earn the minimum wage. I also know it from Heidelberg where some intellectuals work as cab drivers. It depends a lot what exactly you studied. Some subjects are basically superfluous.

What I wonder, why don't they use the elderly, many of whom are still fit, to take care of kids? The elderly would often be happy to be useful, as temporary grandparents, so to speak. Creche type.

Old 02-10-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Again, the pandemic is a temporary thing. Nobody will not take a good job, just because they would have to do without one golden week visit at home. Next new year things will probably be back to normal.

The quarantine is not minimum 21 days, but between 14 and 21 days.
It is actually between 21 and 56 days. You are forgetting home quarantine and extra quarantine at the second destination.

Also, ordinary people don't just get offered a job in HK. They need to apply for it, which they won't because they don't want to be separated from family.

Quote:
Your link is from the pandemic years, I am sure they will fix issues once they are aware of them.
College graduates working in relatively simple jobs is also common here in Portugal, many earn the minimum wage. I also know it from Heidelberg where some intellectuals work as cab drivers. It depends a lot what exactly you studied. Some subjects are basically superfluous.
Men who get simple jobs are unlikely to settle down, as women have no interest in dating someone with low income and inconvenient work hours.

Quote:
What I wonder, why don't they use the elderly, many of whom are still fit, to take care of kids? The elderly would often be happy to be useful, as temporary grandparents, so to speak. Creche type.
It is cheaper and better to send your kid to kindergarten.

Old 02-10-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
It is actually between 21 and 56 days. You are forgetting home quarantine and extra quarantine at the second destination.

Also, ordinary people don't just get offered a job in HK. They need to apply for it, which they won't because they don't want to be separated from family.

Men who get simple jobs are unlikely to settle down, as women have no interest in dating someone with low income and inconvenient work hours.

It is cheaper and better to send your kid to kindergarten.

Nobody is in quarantine that long. And again, it is irrelevant because the pandemic is just a short, temporary phase. Most people think long-term. And they can apply for jobs in HK online, even do their job interviews online, and initially work online, until the restrictions are lifted.

Huh? Relevance? Also, you are suggesting that Chinese women are utterly superficial and only care about money.

If kindergarten is better and cheaper, why complain about how difficult it is to have kids in China?

Old 02-11-2022, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Huh? Relevance? Also, you are suggesting that Chinese women are utterly superficial and only care about money.
So let me get this straight.

You believe women should be told to get kids for the nation and if they can afford but don't want to get kids then they are selfish?

And you believe women who don't want to date poor men working inconvenient hours to be utterly superficial and only care about money?

You sound like a misogynist.

Old 02-11-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
So let me get this straight.

You believe women should be told to get kids for the nation and if they can afford but don't want to get kids then they are selfish?

And you believe women who don't want to date poor men working inconvenient hours to be utterly superficial and only care about money?

You sound like a misogynist.
Well, I am realistic. Procreation is the most important duty in life. I know, many people don't like to hear that. And I am not even religious, nor conservative, I am a leftist atheist.

I am kind of romantic. To me it is superficial not to date someone just because they are poor. It is as superficial as mean dating only blond women, for instance.

Old 02-11-2022, 02:40 PM

An interesting article showing how the fascists in the US and West in general are trying to start a war with China, while blaming it on China, as Elbridge Colby, one of the writers of the US National Defense Strategy, openly admits:
https://www.fridayeveryday.com/strat...hina-into-war/

Quote:
Instead, the US can push China into a limited conflict over Taiwan, with the media painting China as the bully and the US as the white knight. Done right, the skirmish would unite the rest of the world’s countries against China and on to the American side.

Partners in the media have already accomplished a lot of this work by painting Xinjiang and Hong Kong as places wrecked by China, and suggesting they are filled with Betsy-waving populations desperate for a United States model of governance.

This strategy is receiving significant interest and or support from other US hawks.

“China must be provoked into initiating any escalation of the conflict, so that it will always appear the aggressor,” writes defense journalist Aris Roussinos, summarizing the Colby strategy.

PEOPLE WILL DIE

But won’t there be Taiwanese casualties? Yes. China “must be permitted to strike as indiscriminately as possible,” in this scenario. “Colby further urges the US not to provide potential civilian targets with air defences, reasoning that collateral damage will whip up the public anger against China necessary to winning a war,” Roussinos adds.

In other words, deaths of Taiwan citizens (the “collateral damage” he mentions) would be a public relations coup for the US side.

“Forcing China to escalate could be in our [US] interests,” Roussinos points out. (One wonders if this scenario has received attention from the walking elements of “collateral damage” in Taiwan.)

And then people wonder why I am on China's side

Old 02-11-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Well, I am realistic. Procreation is the most important duty in life. I know, many people don't like to hear that. And I am not even religious, nor conservative, I am a leftist atheist.
No, you are a social conservative communist. I don't need to mention atheism as most communists are atheists.

If you believe procreation is the most important duty in life, does that mean you think women should not marry other women, as that will lead to 2 fewer wombs that can be used for procreation? In China, women can't marry other women and often end up marrying a man just so they can procreate. It might be less common among young people, but it was very common a decade ago. Do you think that is a good thing?

Last edited by Camlon; 02-11-2022 at 04:34 PM..

Old 02-11-2022, 05:42 PM

1,014 posts, read 484,998 times
I don't see why U.S. should do anything. China is having the Olympics. This makes good relations for U.S. as they have had several Olympians with medals won. U.S. should think that China is a communist country. They don't think like Americans. So not getting involved is the best thing to do. No need to get the military involved.

Old 02-14-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
No, you are a social conservative communist. I don't need to mention atheism as most communists are atheists.

If you believe procreation is the most important duty in life, does that mean you think women should not marry other women, as that will lead to 2 fewer wombs that can be used for procreation? In China, women can't marry other women and often end up marrying a man just so they can procreate. It might be less common among young people, but it was very common a decade ago. Do you think that is a good thing?
I am not a communist, I don't support hardly anything Marx suggested.
In most aspects I am progressive, for instance I am totally in favor of race-mixing, patchwork families, against religion, etc.

Well, something went wrong with homosexual people, they can't be held responsible for it. So no, I don't mind homosexual people not having kids, nor couples who can't have kids for other reasons such as health problems.
I don't support gay marriage, though, but some other type of registered union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia