Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 07:28 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,052,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maomao View Post
well, it's not that big of a deal, unless you're some idiots that thinks learning a new language = forcing you to forget your mother language/ancestry/culture

It will probably like the tv show firefly or movie serenity (good show and movie btw) with the language mixing english and mandarin.
Well it´s funny you mention that....unless the laws have changed, Taiwanese kids aren´t supposed to learn English in kindergarten for that very bogus reason you just mentioned. As if a 5 year old who speaks Mandarin/Hakka/Taiwanese at home with their families would "forget"...but I kid you not, that is or was a real concern for the Taiwanese government.

Kids first get introducted to English in 1st grade, which obviously is early and still beneficial, but the "no English in Kindergarten" thing seems stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 07:30 PM

61,255 posts, read 87,656,228 times
I suspect it is a progressive move but far more concerning is the massive Red China navy build up and expansion ambitions

Old 09-04-2020, 07:58 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,833,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
20k USD doesn't sound right. Maybe he's teaching part-time?

South Korea doesn't pay English teacher a lot more. The pay grade is pretty much the same in Taiwan (2000-2500 USD), maybe slightly higher, but Korean schools subsidise housing and flights and that definitely helps.
https://notatravelclub.com/taiwan-vs...-and-the-ugly/

Anyway, back to topic, this 2030 bilingual thing is pure gimmick. Taiwan was never a British colony after all.
What has whether a country even been a British colony or not got to do with it ?

Only countries that were British or America colonies see the importance of English ?

For Singapore it was our founding PM Mr Lee who saw the importance and benefit of Singapore being bilingual and did what has to be done to make it happen .. and it did . Ok he studied overseas but our choice to become proficient in 2 languages was not a decision by the British

I didn’t know China’s English proficiency have improved by leaps and bounds . They employed native English speakers or their own people taught them ?

Old 09-04-2020, 08:20 PM

671 posts, read 320,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
What has whether a country even been a British colony or not got to do with it ?

Only countries that were British or America colonies see the importance of English ?

For Singapore it was our founding PM Mr Lee who saw the importance and benefit of Singapore being bilingual and did what has to be done to make it happen .. and it did . Ok he studied overseas but our choice to become proficient in 2 languages was not a decision by the British

I didn’t know China’s English proficiency have improved by leaps and bounds . They employed native English speakers or their own people taught them ?
well, come on, it's the age of the internet for a long time already. I don't understand the need for native english speakers as teachers until probably in college or unless some trade related language technique is needed.

I mean, you would know some level of english if you had been a student or heck, turn on your tv and go on the internet for the last 20 years while living in big cities in all of asia. You don't need to be an english expert to be able to work with english speaking foreigners in your field of work

Old 09-04-2020, 10:16 PM

2,264 posts, read 981,352 times
One of my colleagues here has a bachelor's degree in English from National Taiwan University but doesn't understand a word I'm saying when I speak English. He gets a deer-in-the-headlights look whenever I speak to him and says 'yes' to everything. His secret is safe with me.

I often hear parents complain to their children when I'm in an elevator with them that they've spent all this money on English lessons and their children can't hold a simple English conversation with me.

With rare exceptions the only people I've known here in Taiwan who can really communicate in English are those Taiwanese who studied overseas in English-speaking countries or went to international schools here in Taiwan. My own nephews and nieces couldn't hold a real conversation in English with me until they switched from local schools to international schools. Now they only speak English even at home and it drives their parents 'clazy'.

So it goes.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastwanted View Post
I think Chinese students are typically only used to standard American English or British RP, because that is what they learn to pass tests including TOEFL, IELTS etc...
If the accent changes slightly, their comprehension drops a lot, because they do not have the adaptation in real life.

When I was new in the US, a professor was from Sri Lanka and I only understood 30% of what he said. I did very poorly in that class.
However, I understood 90%+ from the American professors.

In my lab, a student was from Russia and I always had problems understanding him. Sometimes I had to pardon so many times and I felt sorry.
But all the American students understood him (and me) well, and I understood the American students well. It was very embarrassing.
Hmm interesting.. u met anyone from Singapore ? Any problem understanding each other in English ?

Last edited by singaporelady; 09-04-2020 at 11:04 PM..

Old 09-04-2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
One of my colleagues here has a bachelor's degree in English from National Taiwan University but doesn't understand a word I'm saying when I speak English. He gets a deer-in-the-headlights look whenever I speak to him and says 'yes' to everything. His secret is safe with me.

I often hear parents complain to their children when I'm in an elevator with them that they've spent all this money on English lessons and their children can't hold a simple English conversation with me.

With rare exceptions the only people I've known here in Taiwan who can really communicate in English are those Taiwanese who studied overseas in English-speaking countries or went to international schools here in Taiwan. My own nephews and nieces couldn't hold a real conversation in English with me until they switched from local schools to international schools. Now they only speak English even at home and it drives their parents 'clazy'.

So it goes.
The president Tsai Ing Wen herself is known for her English speaking skills

What about Singaporeans? U met any and could they hold a decent English conversation In Your opinion?..

Last edited by singaporelady; 09-04-2020 at 11:03 PM..

Old 09-04-2020, 10:57 PM

2,264 posts, read 981,352 times
She has kaw degrees from Cornell and the U of London.

Old 09-04-2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:

So it goes.
Is Singer Jolin Tsai any one of those? But her English is decent

Old 09-05-2020, 01:07 AM

671 posts, read 320,391 times
Quote:

So it goes.
well, what does that tell you about your colleague, his english degree, the university, or taiwan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia