Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 09:31 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,195,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
What a laughable take. Homelessness, beggars, crimes and pickpockets are not signs of a healthy and strong city, they are indications of poor administration, non-existence of social safety net, and prone to instability.

Just because large cities in America have a ton of homeless people, drug addicts, bad neighbourhoods and violence doesn't mean cities in other countries have failed as miserably.
It's pretty much consensus among urban scholars. I'll admit perhaps I shouldn't state it like it is irrefutable...many urban theories change over time...nevertheless it's certainly not a "laughable take" when it's a fairly basic tenet among academics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 09:36 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,195,094 times
And a strong social safety net would help and is an admirable goal for a society. I was referring to the dynamics of large countries with city and rural populations (so no city-states) and in such a case social safety nets would have to be instituted at the federal level. If the city introduces it on its own you can be certain there will be just as many new poor and destitute arriving as the benefits increase.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:25 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,269,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Bangkok is a massive city, and the poverty for such a massive city in a developing country honestly isn't that widespread as a proportion of its population and seldom very severe.
I feel the same. I remember Bangkok in the 1990s when I did see poverty, but I don't really see it in Bangkok in 2020, or in the last decade.

Thailand's family sizes are quite similar to Japan, S. Korea, etc...usually 2 kids or 2.5 kids or something like that, and a high literacy race. It's quite a bit different than somewhere like Manila with double or triple the average family sizes, and widespread poverty throughout the metro.

This last time I was in Bangkok, I made a big effort to get all around the metro to many places that only Thais go, and it all looked really good to me! Not much different than say South Korea where you might see places that don't look sparkling, but they certainly aren't large swaths of poverty-stricken like you'd see in like the Philippines.

That being said, I'm sure Taiwan is better than Thailand with that overall.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:15 AM

37,291 posts, read 39,614,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It's not just the visual poverty. My main point is that Bangkok (or Thailand in general) largely markets itself as a paradise for sleazy Westerners. When a country has to resort to that kind of strategy for foreign money, I find it disturbing.

What a laughable take. Homelessness, beggars, crimes and pickpockets are not signs of a healthy and strong city, they are indications of poor administration, non-existence of social safety net, and prone to instability.

Just because large cities in America have a ton of homeless people, drug addicts, bad neighbourhoods and violence doesn't mean cities in other countries have failed as miserably.
That's an odd take. Bangkok has a lot of family visitors and a ton of visitors from outside the West. There's also a fairly large international business community as it's not at all economically isolated and has a very diversified economy. It has a major manufacturing industry even with capital intensive goods like automobile production--so much so that manufacturing in these more advanced goods are the largest single sector of metropolitan Bangkok's economy. The country also has a substantial both raw and processed foods industry. There's also a pretty notable media production industry though it's mostly its movies that are making some international headway as the music is standard sentimental pop that all of Southeast and East Asia does. There's also a burgeoning financial services industry. Thailand's certainly not a developed country right now, but it's advanced really quickly and your view of the place seems to be about a Thailand from decades ago.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:20 AM

37,291 posts, read 39,614,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I feel the same. I remember Bangkok in the 1990s when I did see poverty, but I don't really see it in Bangkok in 2020, or in the last decade.

Thailand's family sizes are quite similar to Japan, S. Korea, etc...usually 2 kids or 2.5 kids or something like that, and a high literacy race. It's quite a bit different than somewhere like Manila with double or triple the average family sizes, and widespread poverty throughout the metro.

This last time I was in Bangkok, I made a big effort to get all around the metro to many places that only Thais go, and it all looked really good to me! Not much different than say South Korea where you might see places that don't look sparkling, but they certainly aren't large swaths of poverty-stricken like you'd see in like the Philippines.

That being said, I'm sure Taiwan is better than Thailand with that overall.
Yea, I'm of similar opinion. Taiwan does seem to have its **** together more than Thailand overall, but that doesn't mean Thailand is a cesspool.

Old 09-12-2020, 04:19 AM

65 posts, read 44,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That's an odd take. Bangkok has a lot of family visitors and a ton of visitors from outside the West. There's also a fairly large international business community as it's not at all economically isolated and has a very diversified economy. It has a major manufacturing industry even with capital intensive goods like automobile production--so much so that manufacturing in these more advanced goods are the largest single sector of metropolitan Bangkok's economy. The country also has a substantial both raw and processed foods industry. There's also a pretty notable media production industry though it's mostly its movies that are making some international headway as the music is standard sentimental pop that all of Southeast and East Asia does. There's also a burgeoning financial services industry. Thailand's certainly not a developed country right now, but it's advanced really quickly and your view of the place seems to be about a Thailand from decades ago.
Agreed, and I too, have noticed the amazing diversity of the BKK economy, which accounts for half the country's GDP. I especially noticed it around sunrise at the morning markets.

More than half the international visitors were female, last year, so they are not promoting sleaze, but you could easily find websites that promote adult nightlife, usually run by an American, Ozzie, or Brit. The tourism industry has been over focussed on China, but that is what they believe is their bread and butter (or rice and rats). Japan has a steady and strong influence, but not growing much. The stage may be being set for massive tourism from India. There is a small overlay of Thai and Indian culture that are wealthy developers. I have stayed at a few OYO hotels, recently, and they are Indian, expanding into Thailand rapidly.

Old 09-12-2020, 07:08 AM

6,607 posts, read 12,109,336 times
Taipei for living. I'd like to explore the mountainous areas of Taiwan.

Old 09-13-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamFong View Post
The stage may be being set for massive tourism from India. There is a small overlay of Thai and Indian culture that are wealthy developers. I have stayed at a few OYO hotels, recently, and they are Indian, expanding into Thailand rapidly.
That's interesting. My last name in Ao Nang (Krabi), it was overwhelming how many Indian business people I saw opening businesses. Indian restaurants, tailor shops (galore), and other touts. It was hardcore with their aggressiveness, completely the opposite of the Thai style.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 09-13-2020 at 11:16 PM..

Old 09-13-2020, 11:06 PM

65 posts, read 44,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's interesting. My last name in Ao Nang (Krabi), it was overwhelming how many Indian business people I saw opening businesses. Indian restaurants, tailor shops (galore), and other touts. It was hardcore with their aggressiness, completely the opposite of the Thai style.
Can be a pain in the tourist areas..they used to be mostly Nepalese on Sukhumvit and Khao San Road, but there are more Indian shops, nowadays. They would be considered a much lower merchant class than the property developers, same with the watch sellers, who are annoying as it gets. More than a few Pakis and Bangladeshis present themselves as Indian, which also confuses matters.

I recall hearing that Nana Entertainment Plaza is Thai-Indian owned.

Old 09-16-2020, 03:08 AM

I should have done a poll on this!

I'm kind of from the school of 'Bangkok #1' based on tourist numbers, but for living, I can see how Taipei could pull way above what I might think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia