Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 12:18 PM

102 posts, read 66,310 times

Advertisements

I miss Joyful Honda. The one where we lived had everything. EVERYTHING. And I do miss Lawson, 7-11, etc. where you could just go in and pick up a roll of sushi and a bottle of green tea for a snack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 08:51 AM

30,613 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Back when I was living in Honolulu, I missed the great Indian and Mexican food that I was able to find in Japan (specifically, in Okinawa). I'm a foodie but do not particularly care for Japanese food on a daily basis (a fact that as amplied given the abundance of Japanese food available in Hawaii). Hawaii was, however, lacking in good Indian and Mexican, so I always looked forward to my trips to Japan (for work) for that purpose.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:59 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,902 times
I miss biking in Karuizawa in Fall. I miss skiing in Echigo Yugaza in winter. I miss Cherry Blossom in Shinjuku Gyeon in Spring. I miss the entire Hokkaido in summer. When can we fly there again?

Old 09-25-2020, 06:20 PM

1,136 posts, read 523,904 times
People in Japan are not welcoming people from Tokyo because cases remain relatively high in Tokyo while other prefectures are having zero or few cases. This is intranational discrimination . They are also not welcoming foreigners from countries with high number of cases, the US and some European countries included.

The US, UK , France and etc are listed as high risk areas by others when they still can't tackle the coronavirus. If they relax travel restrictions, foreigners from those places with zero or few local transmission such as Thailand, Vietnam, NZ, Macau, Mainland China and Taiwan will be the first to visit Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, China and etc again. People from those places with high ongoing local transmission are not allowed to enter or may have to be tested many times before and after arriving in addition to mandatory isolation in a hotel room with no visitors allowed.

Japan only praises Taiwan for successfully fighting the coronavirus, don't praise others and admit the situation in Tokyo is not as good as some other cities in Japan and other countries.

Last edited by Tomboy-; 09-25-2020 at 06:30 PM..

Old 09-25-2020, 06:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
Gyoza

Old 09-26-2020, 03:28 AM

2,264 posts, read 971,107 times
Common courtesy, civilized behavior, honesty, commitment to quality.

Old 09-26-2020, 09:32 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I lived in Japan from 2008-2013.

I miss...

Onsens/Public baths that are in the middle of streams/nature. So peaceful, even moreso being submerged by hot water with snow falling. Incredible.

Politeness & Respectfulness - Having lived in other parts of Asia which are much more loud i.e. Koreans & Chinese. I really appreciated my time in Japan where people used headphones when they wanted to listen to loud TV's, etc. People in Japan are just hyper-aware of people around them, and have it ingrained in their culture not to disturb people through yelling, shouting, loud tvs, etc.

Safety - This is quite common throughout much of Asia....but definitely Japan as well.

Convenience - Everything is built properly so that no matter where you live, you have access to multitudes of conveniences.

Bike Culture - Quite common for older generation to bike everywhere, and stores accomodate them well.

Nature - Mountains & Ocean everywhere within easy striking distance.

...and so much more!
I've never done a public bath and I don't plan to! That's one thing I can't get over. I feel terribly uncomfortable being naked in front of people. Other than the person I am going to have sex with.

Biking in Japan is amazing! Its crazy how many people bike. I borrowed a bike while in Japan and I never even had to put a lock on it. I was also in a "ghetto" town in Tokyo and some of the residents recommended that I lock it up. Never happened. If I was in the Bronx, it would have been snatched up instantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira kira View Post
The bolded part is what I miss the most. I don't know why I feel so at peace there, but I do. For me, it is heaven on earth.

I miss travelling via shinkansen. I miss the amazing Japanese bakeries. I miss the adventure, the beauty, the people and the shopping.

I personally think Japan is the best when it comes to product design, packaging and merchandising. I have never enjoyed shopping in the US, but in Japan, I can't get enough and I usually end up buying way too much stuff because everything is so beautifully designed there.

I was doing fine with not missing Japan until I watched this video on YouTube. It represents everything I love about Japan - the scenery, the sounds, the people. I hope to visit again soon!

Its been TERRIBLE for me! Of all places I would want to be "stuck" at, it would be Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
All the transit options and the walkability. Or I could ride my bike which I did quite often. The Mountains, Mt Fuji or the ocean was there also to visit. I enjoyed all the small towns and the little restaurant's and shops. Tokyo can be overwhelming, but I was always on a train to Shinjuku or Central Tokyo. I really miss how polite the Japanese people are for the most part. I lived about 40 miles north of Tokyo in Fussa. I was based at Yokota AB.. After I lived in Japan I lived in Germany. Other than nearby ocean I had the same amenities. When I returned to the states I found I have never fully adjusted to the US again. Part of me had changed. I don't feel the connection to all the driving, and overall lack of respect in the US. If I was younger and overseas I think I would not want to return to this country. It is a sad mess. Living in Japan is a better quality of life.

Walkability is amazing in Japan, indeed.

I agree the quality of life is better, for us. For a lot of Japanese--that I know at least--they really want to get out of Japan. Usually, they have more appreciation for Japan when they get back to their homeland though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I’ve spent about a decade in Japan. Absolutely loved it.

The trains in Tokyo are so awesome. Oh my, the restaurants! , the sake and Awamori, Roppongi when I was much younger (definitely not interested in clubbing now that I’m much older), Shinjuku neon lights, Tokyo tower (touristy, but still worth a look just to see how large the city really is)

Climbing Mt Fuji, White water rafting on the Oktama River, jet skiing Yokohama bay. Going to baseball games in Saitama and Tokyo Dome. Sumo matches. So many gardens and lake paths and hiking areas that I can’t possibly remember them all. Hiroshima Peace Park (the devastation of the bomb was really quite profound), Hokkaido Ice Festival, Churumi Aquarium in Okinawa, Ieshima Island.

Man, I did it all! I’m sure I’m missing dozens of things I did.

But the thing I miss most? That beautiful, cool, and calm Japanese woman that I let get away. Every guy has a woman or two in his past that he looks back on and thinks what might have been
You're not lying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Back when I was living in Honolulu, I missed the great Indian and Mexican food that I was able to find in Japan (specifically, in Okinawa). I'm a foodie but do not particularly care for Japanese food on a daily basis (a fact that as amplied given the abundance of Japanese food available in Hawaii). Hawaii was, however, lacking in good Indian and Mexican, so I always looked forward to my trips to Japan (for work) for that purpose.
I heard the Okinawan tacos are pretty darn good! Ever tried it?

Old 10-01-2020, 06:08 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,880,671 times
They are good. The taco places were originally set up to cater to US service people who were stationed on Okinawa.

Old 10-03-2020, 03:54 AM

6,092 posts, read 3,332,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
They are good. The taco places were originally set up to cater to US service people who were stationed on Okinawa.
When I lived in Okinawa, there was a restaurant right next to my apartment building, called “Tacos and Coffee”. They did have good tacos, or you could get taco fried rice, but I always thought it was a weird combination. In my opinion, tacos and coffee don’t go together.

Old 10-03-2020, 06:55 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
When I lived in Okinawa, there was a restaurant right next to my apartment building, called “Tacos and Coffee”. They did have good tacos, or you could get taco fried rice, but I always thought it was a weird combination. In my opinion, tacos and coffee don’t go together.
Yeah, I remember taco rice being popular in Oki. But my favorite thing there was anything flavored with sweet potato (beni imo), like ice cream and cookies. Also tebichi soba (noodles with pig feet). Soki soba (noodles with ribs) was popular there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia