Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2020, 06:13 PM

113 posts, read 165,028 times

Advertisements

I know both countries are quite progressive when it comes to LGBTQ rights as far as Asian countries go. I'm a transman who lives full-time as male and eventually I'd like to live somewhere where if I have to tell someone I'm trans I don't have to worry about being fired or social backlash or anything. I'm sure prejudice still exists as it does everywhere, but which one would you say is more accepting overall??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 08:48 AM

30,694 posts, read 18,326,280 times
By law, Taiwan has greater protections for all LGBT people vs. Thailand, though Thailand is more accepting on the issue than many other Asian countries. In terms of cultural acceptance, I wouldn't know much about that.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:16 AM

365 posts, read 217,780 times
I don't know if transmen (woman to man) are as accepted in Thailand as transwomen (man to women) but if they are then unwound definitely choose Thailand between the two...but then again as was pointed above Taiwan has more legal protection with regards to antidiscrimination.

Old 09-30-2020, 11:14 AM

8,874 posts, read 8,471,348 times
Audrey Tang is pretty high profile in Taiwan and there is this MTF high school teacher who attracted some press coverage nearly a decade ago and she wasn't fired/ostracised by colleagues/students or anything. Both are transgendered women, though.

That being said, the rule of thumb is that you really shouldn't expect equal level of LGBT+ tolerance anywhere in Asia as in say California or Canada. You will face discrimination as, ultimately, even in more progressive Asian countries like Taiwan, the general public are not nearly as informed/educated about sexuality.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:38 AM

20,129 posts, read 16,204,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Audrey Tang is pretty high profile in Taiwan and there is this MTF high school teacher who attracted some press coverage nearly a decade ago and she wasn't fired/ostracised by colleagues/students or anything. Both are transgendered women, though.

That being said, the rule of thumb is that you really shouldn't expect equal level of LGBT+ tolerance anywhere in Asia as in say California or Canada. You will face discrimination as, ultimately, even in more progressive Asian countries like Taiwan, the general public are not nearly as informed/educated about sexuality.
This. For the most part, despite all the hype otherwise, the polite society in the Western world is much more tolerant of consenting adult sexual choices than in Asia or Africa - although some Asian countries are more likely to turn a blind eye to illegal activities than you see in the West. What you are talking about is not illegal but you will face social stigma, along with discrimination.

Old 10-16-2020, 12:09 AM

4 posts, read 3,863 times
I watched Asian boss on youtube I think Thailand has the most transgender people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia