Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 12:52 PM

671 posts, read 315,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It's not necessarily a political ploy if that's how people actually choose to define themselves... The law allows them to write in their ethnicity, and if enough people choose to do it, no one can really stop them. I would question whether the ads etc actually would reach enough people who cared to do so, tbh.

My experience among Hong Kongers in the US was that they generally had no illusions about their ethnicity being anything but Chinese, regardless of their opinons of the mainland. However, perhaps because of the incidents over the last decade, attitudes have shifted and because they feel that their identity is under threat, they are inclined to use their rights in a sovereign nation to keep as much of that identity intact as possible. If that's the case, then it is their legal right in the US.

I question whether you really "don't care" about their desire to be defined separately or the fact that some org is putting ads on the radio - clearly you, and others no doubt, do. But do you really think of the census as being this sanctified an institution, and this as being inappropriate, when they are actually allowed to do this anyways?
well, I brought it up just to inform OP, but I don't think he's the target audience anyways.

and to answer your question, I would have no problem if some one paying out of their pocket to do this. I would only condemn if the census pays the cantonese local radio to run an ad for census and they went with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 10:11 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maomao View Post
well, I brought it up just to inform OP, but I don't think he's the target audience anyways.

and to answer your question, I would have no problem if some one paying out of their pocket to do this. I would only condemn if the census pays the cantonese local radio to run an ad for census and they went with this.
Is there any evidence that this is what happened?

Old 10-08-2020, 09:03 AM

1,136 posts, read 525,982 times
Today I was thinking most asian people working in Chinatowns identify as ethnic Chinese. Do people say they go to Hongkongtowns and shop at Hong Kong supermarkets? Very few. Soy sauce imported from HK are sold in Chinese supermarkets in western countries, few people in western countries say they buy a bottle of HK soy sauce from Hong Kong supermarkets.

Last edited by Tomboy-; 10-08-2020 at 09:21 AM..

Old 10-08-2020, 10:43 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=uxbndlbing

Old 10-09-2020, 12:17 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Would you admit you are Han, though? I know most Americans don't even know what Han is, but do you still identify as Han?
I do not know why you are so obsessed with what HKers and Taiwanese people would identify as, nor am I particularly interested in it.

The more you ask me the less I want to answer you.

Old 10-09-2020, 05:18 PM

1,136 posts, read 525,982 times
People who are racists just treat all Asians the same. Not identifying as a Chinese don't help someone in a racist place.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:01 AM

44 posts, read 42,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I know what the HAn are. THey always move south.
Most Americans don't even know what Taiwan is, they just assume everyone around there is Chinese or Japanese which in their heads is kind of the same thing.

PErhaps Japanese are seen as more civilized.

If you tell American you're Taiwanese, they just think oh another chinese fellow from that part of the world.

It happened to a friend of mine from South korea, an American asked her where she was from, she replied south korea and the American goes like.... oh i never really met many Chinese people from south korea.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:25 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
It depends on how you frame the question. If you ask them where they're from, they'll differentiate between Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Mainland China. If you ask them their ethnicity, they'll say Chinese.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:26 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...ommunist-party

Old 10-27-2020, 05:50 AM

1 posts, read 479 times
- If there are "HongKongers", then we should have NewYorkers, Londoneses, Vancouverers etc.

- People in HK are HK Chinese, those from Mainland China are Mainland Chinese, Singaporean Chinese from Singapore, as for Taiwan, everyone knows they're Chinese but because Taiwan has a different constitution (a different Chinese government) so we have no problems calling Taiwanese.

- Those "Hongkongers" are local radicals, frogs grown up in a small well, they don't represent the all citizens of Hong Kong but a bunch of Anti-democratic and Anti-freedom mobs because they attack dissidents in the streets, destroy public facilities and shops that don't stand with them for their 'independence revolution', the same as those radicals in the middle east
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia