Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 04:06 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,146,598 times

Advertisements

I remember learning for the first time in high school over 20 years ago that Japan schools had no Janitors. Is that still the case even now with Covid?

edit:I guess i might as well ask is that the case in other Asian countries as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastwanted View Post
My school in China did not have one. Students cleaned the classrooms and playground every day.
The students were supposed to take turns but some always "escaped". And interestingly, the ones who didn't serve were also the ones who failed in classes.
I read that before but did that change with Covid?

Old 10-10-2020, 03:24 PM

30,653 posts, read 18,263,167 times
I love that model. While I don't think it would fly in the states (there would be allegations of child abuse), I think it would be good for the children and it would save school districts on janitorial salaries.

Old 10-10-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I love that model. While I don't think it would fly in the states (there would be allegations of child abuse), I think it would be good for the children and it would save school districts on janitorial salaries.

It will never fly in US. You will have lawsuits going so fast you wouldn't have time to blink.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:09 PM

153 posts, read 110,934 times
Yes, this is still a common practice even with the virus, there honestly isn't that much of a difference before vs. after the virus for most things. Just more masks, pretty much.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorunner View Post
Yes, this is still a common practice even with the virus, there honestly isn't that much of a difference before vs. after the virus for most things. Just more masks, pretty much.
Wow, i can't see student ever doing proper cleaning in our school but maybe i am just looking at it from American prospective.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:44 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,078,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Wow, i can't see student ever doing proper cleaning in our school but maybe i am just looking at it from American prospective.
A lot of the time it is not that clean.
While it is great that the students tend to pick up after themselves and don't have as much trash around the schools as schools in the US, I found in my experience at several public elementary and junior high schools that they're generally much more dirty than any school I've been inside in the US.

On an average teaching day, I would teach the morning classes, join a class for lunchtime, play with the students during the afternoon recess, and then help them with the classroom cleaning before the afternoon classes.

The Japanese kids don't get any kind of cleaner or chemicals: just brooms, water, old rags, and hoses (for the bathrooms). Most of the bathrooms are still smelly even after just being cleaned (ie. hosed down with just water, and most schools only have the squat type), and the classroom floors will still be so dirty you can't put anything down without it getting covered in dirt and dust. Most Japanese schools don't have grass fields, so the students have P.E and outside activities in a dirt/sand field, which gets all tracked back into the school.
https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearn...eb2x&context=3

Old 10-10-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
A lot of the time it is not that clean.
While it is great that the students tend to pick up after themselves and don't have as much trash around the schools as schools in the US, I found in my experience at several public elementary and junior high schools that they're generally much more dirty than any school I've been inside in the US.

On an average teaching day, I would teach the morning classes, join a class for lunchtime, play with the students during the afternoon recess, and then help them with the classroom cleaning before the afternoon classes.

The Japanese kids don't get any kind of cleaner or chemicals: just brooms, water, old rags, and hoses (for the bathrooms). Most of the bathrooms are still smelly even after just being cleaned (ie. hosed down with just water, and most schools only have the squat type), and the classroom floors will still be so dirty you can't put anything down without it getting covered in dirt and dust. Most Japanese schools don't have grass fields, so the students have P.E and outside activities in a dirt/sand field, which gets all tracked back into the school.
https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearn...eb2x&context=3

Hmm, so the perception that Japan is very clean is wrong? If schools are still dirty why would Japan school system not hire janitors?

Old 10-11-2020, 03:29 AM

303 posts, read 128,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Hmm, so the perception that Japan is very clean is wrong? If schools are still dirty why would Japan school system not hire janitors?
I have taught in schools in Japan before and generally speaking the students themselves are much tidier than students in the US. They almost never litter and would be shocked to see trash around the school grounds as is often the case in American schools. Having said that, the fact that they have students clean the schools instead of janitors and the fact that the kids basically just use a mop and water or brooms instead of actually cleaning properly means at the end of the day there is usually more dust and dirt around than in an American school.

Add to that the fact that in most public Japanese schools the sports grounds are usually just dirt fields (no grass anywhere) and the school buildings are usually just gray concrete slabs which look old and worn, and the overall feel is that they are dirtier or dingier than American schools.

Old 10-11-2020, 06:31 AM

6,566 posts, read 12,067,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_of_Hull View Post
I have taught in schools in Japan before and generally speaking the students themselves are much tidier than students in the US. They almost never litter and would be shocked to see trash around the school grounds as is often the case in American schools. Having said that, the fact that they have students clean the schools instead of janitors and the fact that the kids basically just use a mop and water or brooms instead of actually cleaning properly means at the end of the day there is usually more dust and dirt around than in an American school.

Add to that the fact that in most public Japanese schools the sports grounds are usually just dirt fields (no grass anywhere) and the school buildings are usually just gray concrete slabs which look old and worn, and the overall feel is that they are dirtier or dingier than American schools.
The interior is nicer. They usually have hardwood floors and everyone has to take their shoes off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia