Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 06:57 PM

8,871 posts, read 8,461,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Yes, that is quite exclusive to China. For instance Norwegian media copies stories from american/european media all the time and directly listen to foreigners on social media. China is not like that at all.
I meant the covid situation feels like living on another planet is not exclusive to China. It's the same or better in most Asian countries as well as Australia and New Zealand.

Quote:
Regarding those puppet foreigners on YouTube. Could you tell us how many of them have gotten arrested? Oh right, none of them.

Even people like Serpentza and Laowhy86 who criticized China while staying in China did not get arrested. I know what you are about to say, Laowhy86 was going to get arrested if he didn't leave. First off, we don't know if that is true, and if it was true, then Laowhy86 was about to get arrested for some illegal drone usage after severall years of criticizing China and Chinese people.
What makes you think I was solely referring to puppet YouTuber foreigners? There have been many American, Australian, Canadian, Swedish, Taiwanese etc. citizens detained barbarically in China for the most frivolous reasons. Thank your lucky stars it hasn't happened to you.

Last edited by Greysholic; 11-15-2020 at 07:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 07:30 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,079,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I meant the covid situation feels like living on another planet is not exclusive to China. It's the same or better in most Asian countries as well as Australia and New Zealand.
I was talking about the overall experience of living in China while Covid is going on. Covid isolate us from other countries and then living in China feels like living on anoter planet.

Of course other countries have done well too and I have never claimed that China is the only country doing well. In fact I know that you have read posts from me mentiong New Zealand and Taiwan as countries who has done well.

Quote:
What makes you think I was solely referring to puppet YouTuber foreigners? There have been many American, Australia, Canadian, Swedish, Taiwanese etc. citizens detained barbarically in China for the most frivolous reasons. Thank your lucky stars it hasn't happened to you.
If you look into their stories, you will see that almost all are doing things like running an illegal NGO or trying to spread anti-government propaganda inside China.

In China, they often choose not to charge important people breaking Chinese laws to not upset a country they want good relations with. However, if the relationship turn sour, then they will target them.

China has nothing to gain to target random foreigners. The foreign government don't care if they get arrested and it will lead to bad press. I have a much higher chance of getting hit by a drunk driver in traffic, so I will worry about that instead.

Last edited by Camlon; 11-15-2020 at 07:57 PM..

Old 11-15-2020, 08:58 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,488,213 times
Quote:

China has nothing to gain to target random foreigners.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-17690925

Old 11-15-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Bo Xilai is extremly corrupt. A western businessman works with Bo Xilai to help them do business. The western business man threaten to reveal Bo Xilai family's illegal business dealings and overseas assets if he does not get a higher commission.

Bo Xilais wife murders him, police figure out during the investigation that it is related to Bo Xilai. In a desperate attempt Bo Xilai fire and punish police officers related to this case, but it does not work and Bo Xilai and his wife end up in jail.

This was not the first crime of Bo Xilai and the fact that he could run over the legal system like that is not good. However, I don't think a similar hitman case would be handled better in other developing countries like Mexico, Brazil or Thailand. That is just a risk you need to accept by living in a developing country.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:32 PM

671 posts, read 316,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I have never heard the Manchurians hired scholare to learn the Hans culture and government before they invaded and took over Central China,they are nomadic tribes and one particular tribe became the rulling class of Qing Dynasty.
Where did you hear that?
The nomads would not understand how agriculture,farming,commerce ,tax collecting,standing army and the whole ball of wax fit together.
go and do a little research on the qing. but there is the cliff notes version

The manchurians and the ming were at war for a long time before the ming dynasty becoming the qing.

The ming was able to repel the manchurians multiple times and the manchurian king (huang tai ji) was dead while his son (kang xi, who later became the first qing emperor) is only 10 or so years old. So the qing stopped their invasion while kang xi was taught by han scholars.

the ming was not really defeated by the qing as the qing was never able to break siege the fortresses around the ming capital. What happened, was that the ming capital was sacked by a rebellious group led by "li chuang". After the ming king committed suicide, a ming general by the name of "wu san gui" worked with the han scholars of the manchurians and opened the fortress's gates and let the manchurian army enter and conquer the rest of ming empire/china.

Had not been general wu's action (he is therefor being remember as a traitor of the han people forever), there may not have been a qing dynasty.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:38 PM

671 posts, read 316,825 times
Quote:
Bo Xilai is extremly corrupt. A western businessman works with Bo Xilai to help them do business. The western business man threaten to reveal Bo Xilai family's illegal business dealings and overseas assets if he does not get a higher commission.

Bo Xilais wife murders him, police figure out during the investigation that it is related to Bo Xilai. In a desperate attempt Bo Xilai fire and punish police officers related to this case, but it does not work and Bo Xilai and his wife end up in jail.

This was not the first crime of Bo Xilai and the fact that he could run over the legal system like that is not good. However, I don't think a similar hitman case would be handled better in other developing countries like Mexico, Brazil or Thailand. That is just a risk you need to accept by living in a developing country.
it's doesn't really matter, since all politicians are corrupted in some ways.

Think of it like this, say if you worked in a company and you are climbing the cooperate ladder to the top, you obviously will have enemies along the way, it's either you get promoted or them. but when you lose the battle and forced to leave the company, they will use an absent or a late return from lunch from years ago as the reason to fire you.

the chinese have a saying of "winners are kings, and losers are thugs"

Old 11-15-2020, 11:02 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,505,611 times
Quote:

If you look into their stories, you will see that almost all are doing things like running an illegal NGO or trying to spread anti-government propaganda inside China.

In China, they often choose not to charge important people breaking Chinese laws to not upset a country they want good relations with. However, if the relationship turn sour, then they will target them.
Usually, you will be left alone if you’re a nothing burger. The problem is, that in many developing countries, rules tend to be volatile (not specifically talking about China).Not too long ago, there was an American who got arrested in Thailand for writing a negative review for a hotel. He was eventually let go after a lot of outcry. Nevertheless, there have been plenty of instances where things didn’t work out.

Quote:
China has nothing to gain to target random foreigners. The foreign government don't care if they get arrested and it will lead to bad press. I have a much higher chance of getting hit by a drunk driver in traffic, so I will worry about that instead.
On the contrary, they can be used as bargaining chips, when things go south, as you correctly pointed out.

Old 11-15-2020, 11:22 PM

8,871 posts, read 8,461,053 times
Quote:

Like @Milky Way Resident says, you never know when or how things could go down south. It's not like Norway has not been on China's bad side before.

Quote:
On the contrary, they can be used as bargaining chips, when things go south, as you correctly pointed out.
Hear hear.

Old 11-15-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
To be a barganing chip you need to be someone important. The average person is useless for the foreign government and only become a curiousity for the media if the charges are ridiculous (congo case).

There are around hundred Norwegians arrested for various charges abroad. Most of them get almost no help from the Norwegian government and will just have to wait till they get out of jail. They are terrible barganing chips.

Also, the people taken as barganing chips are people who have actually broken chinese law, but their crimes were ignored to not damage relations.

Old 11-15-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Like @Milky Way Resident says, you never know when or how things could go down south. It's not like Norway has not been on China's bad side before.

Hear hear.
That is right. Norway was on Chinas bad side, and I was in China during that period. I didn't notice anything.

Some of the Youtubers that you talk about is from Canada or the United States, how come they are not in jail?

The reason is because you are full of ****. You would love to see China arresting any of us for a political reason, but it will never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia