Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 04:31 PM

37,317 posts, read 39,731,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maomao View Post
I think most of the taiwanese don't realized this, the very first moment that china's central government is not strong enough to hold the country together, taiwan will be conquered immediately by whoever runs the show in the part of a separated china nearest taiwan.

in some way, the communist is keeping taiwan safe. Guess what will be the first thing that chinese will be voting for if there is a democracy? send army and take back taiwan. do you want to guess the % of chinese people in mainland china in support of this?
If it's a large change in government, then it's probably going to take a while for the dust to settle and there will be a lot of internal struggles to maintain first. That being said, if China were to have a fairly well-run and democratic government, then it'd likely be substantially more successful in entreating Taiwan to join China rather than via use of force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 05:45 PM

671 posts, read 319,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If we're going for preferred alternate history, then I think the preference would have been for the less imperialistic faction of the Japanese Empire to have won out and a less tumultuous move to a republic for China. Something like no second Sino-Japanese War or outright annexation of Korea and a stable and democratic China proper with Tibet, Mongolia, and Xinjiang/Uyghuristan as sovereign and not antagonistic nation-states and a loose union / trading bloc of the sovereign states of East Asia consisting of Mongolia, Tibet, Korea, Uyghuristan, China, and Japan as republics would have been nice. That would be a very different world though. And as to your interests, it'd probably be a toss-up if that means Taiwan ends up part of China or Japan as it's probably unlikely in such a scenario that it'd be a sovereign state.

It's not the only region that matters, but it is where the Han culture essentially started out in and has often been where the capital city has been. It makes sense in that it's also the largest contiguous and fairly easy to traverse arable block within China. It's also not always the main political center which is why southern capital shave existed before like during the Southern Song period. You're right in that the north generally ends up conquering the south in Chinese history, but it's not necessarily the Central Plain that the Yellow River winds through. There's been more than a few times where the conquering was done from even further north (and even by non-Han people as seen with the origins of the Yuan and Qing dynasties). There's also an oddity where the northwest ends up taking over such as with the Sui and Tang dynasties from the Gansu/Hexi Corridor. The Tang did claim to be descended from Laozi, but really, the founding family are from the peripheries in Gansu.
it is the only region that matter, it doesn't matter where the people comes from, but they must take that region in order to control the rest of china. The old Chinese saying, "take the frotress middle, to take the heaven and earth"

Old 11-19-2020, 05:48 PM

671 posts, read 319,485 times
Quote:
If it's a large change in government, then it's probably going to take a while for the dust to settle and there will be a lot of internal struggles to maintain first. That being said, if China were to have a fairly well-run and democratic government, then it'd likely be substantially more successful in entreating Taiwan to join China rather than via use of force.
well, as if the US elections and Brexit didn't give you any hints?
democratic or populism?

Old 11-19-2020, 06:41 PM

8,882 posts, read 8,500,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
If China was divided then Taiwan would not be its own country. There would be no reason for lots of Chinese to flee to Taiwan and it would be easily taken over by its closest neighbor. Your biggest worry is that China might take control over Taiwan, but in your dream scenario, Taiwan could have been run by Taiping heavenly kingdom which was a theocratic communist state. So be careful what you wish for.

And if all that you care about is having China leaving you alone, then you could not have picked a worse tactic. By admitting that you want Chinese to suffer, then you are making yourself an enemy.
Idk what this laughable scenario is. If China was divided Taiwan would be taken by whom? Which separated part of China, after a devastating civil war, gazillion casualties and economic loss, would have a strong enough navy and air force to take over a big island which happens to be an ally to America? The province of Guangdong? Lol give me a ****ing break. Your wumaoism is getting hard to watch.

Unless you are talking about historically then that’s even more laughable as Japan already had eyes on Taiwan then for strategic reasons. You actually believe any part of China would stand a chance against the Japanese empire? Sure jan. I guess you have no idea how pathetic China was during the WWII.

Last edited by Greysholic; 11-19-2020 at 06:50 PM..

Old 11-19-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Idk why you think Taiwan would want to join China if it had a democratic government. Probably because you are American after all. You seem very out of touch with the current public sentiment.

No one wants to be associated with those ****s and no one gives a **** about how democratic they are. If you were more informed you would know how much resentment towards China there is in Taiwan. Especially recently with those pathetic losers at WHO. Join a democratic China my ass. Get ****ed. In fact, you would be surprised how much schadenfraude there is over tragedies happening in China. Any natural or human disasters in China gets (deservedly) ridiculed in Taiwan, lol. The deadlier the merrier.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:00 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,515,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Idk why you think Taiwan would want to join China if it had a democratic government. Probably because you are American after all. You seem very out of touch with the current public sentiment.

No one wants to be associated with those ****s and no one gives a **** about how democratic they are. If you were more informed you would know how much resentment towards China there is in Taiwan. Especially recently with those pathetic losers at WHO. Join a democratic China my ass. Get ****ed. In fact, you would be surprised how much schadenfraude there is over tragedies happening in China. Any natural or human disasters in China gets (deservedly) ridiculed in Taiwan, lol. The deadlier the merrier.

then taiwan should declare independence and be done with it

Old 11-19-2020, 08:02 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,093,412 times
Quote:
Idk what this laughable scenario is. If China was divided Taiwan would be taken by whom? Which separated part of China, after a devastating civil war, gazillion casualties and economic loss, would have a strong enough navy and air force to take over a big island which happens to be an ally to America? The province of Guangdong? Lol give me a ****ing break. Your wumaoism is getting hard to watch.

Unless you are talking about historically then that’s even more laughable as Japan already had eyes on Taiwan then for strategic reasons. You actually believe any part of China would stand a chance against the Japanese empire? Sure jan. I guess you have no idea how pathetic China was during the WWII.
Did you never learn why America defend Taiwan? The only reason America defends Taiwan is because the anti-communists fled to the islands and america wanted to stop communism. If there was another Chinese nation, then they would have fled there not to Taiwan. If lots of anti-communists never fled to Taiwan, then why would America protect Taiwan? They wouldn't and Japan would still lose the war and then the nearest country would come in and control Taiwan.

There are severall scenarios how China could be split up, let me just mention two examples for you
  1. The Taiping heavenly kingdom wins and control south China including Taiwan. In this scenario southern China would be a poor theocratic communist nation which does not have much international influence just the way you want. The problem is that you are now living in this poor and backward nation, lol.
  2. The Chinese civil war ends in a stalemate. Then Taiwan would be part of the Nationalist Republic of China. However, these nationalists are now controlling half of China and would be a lot less interested in democracy and would at minimum censor people who attack Chinese people like you do.

Also, aren't your distant relatives from China. In that case, you could have been living in mainland China.

Last edited by Camlon; 11-19-2020 at 08:45 PM..

Old 11-19-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Wow, did you not follow in history class? The only reason America defends Taiwan is because the anti-communists fled to the islands and america wanted to stop communism. If there was another Chinese nation, then they would have fled there not to Taiwan. If lots of anti-communists never fled to Taiwan, then why would America protect Taiwan? They wouldn't and Japan would still lose the war and then the nearest country would come in and control Taiwan.
Lol wtf are you talking about. Japan lost before the civil war.

Quote:
There are severall scenarios how China could be split up, let me just mention two examples for you
1. The Taiping heavenly kingdom wins and control south China including Taiwan. In that case, you could have been living in a theocratic communist state.
2. The Chinese civil war ends in a stalemate. Then Taiwan would be part of the Nationalist Republic of China. However, these nationalists are now controlling half of China and would be a lot less interested in democracy and would at minimum censor people who attack Chinese people like you do.

Also, aren't your distant relatives from China. In that case, you could have been living in mainland China.
And I wasn’t referring to those historical what ifs in the first place. If we are going full alternative history mode then I could also say that if Japan never attacked the Pearl Harbour Japan wouldn’t have lost the war, as America couldn’t care less about Chinese being slaughtered, and Japan would have kept terrorising China for decades, lol. I mean a divided China now would be great for us.

Idk who these distant relatives from China are. I don’t have any.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:58 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,093,412 times
Quote:
Idk who these distant relatives from China are. I don’t have any.
Are you indigenous taiwanese?

Quote:
Lol wtf are you talking about. Japan lost before the civil war.

And I wasn’t referring to those historical what ifs in the first place. If we are going full alternative history mode then I could also say that if Japan never attacked the Pearl Harbour Japan wouldn’t have lost the war, as America couldn’t care less about Chinese being slaughtered, and Japan would have kept terrorising China for decades, lol. I mean a divided China now would be great for us.
We were talking about if China stayed split. I mentioned a way it could stay split, and then you mentioned that they would not have beat imperial Japan in ww2. That is why I mentioned that Japan would still lose the war and lose its colonies.

In terms of staying split after the civil war, then the second scenario fits perfectly. The civil war ends in a stalemate and Republic of China is controlling half of China. Then it would probably never become a real democracy and anti-Chinese speech would not be tolerated. Since you hate Chinese mainlanders, you would hate this scenario.

That is why I said, be careful what you wish for.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Are you indigenous taiwanese?

We were talking about if China stayed split. I mentioned two ways it could stay split, and then you mentioned Japan.

In terms of staying split after the civil war, then the second scenario fits perfectly. The civil war ends in a stalemate and Republic of China is controlling half of China. Then it would probably never become a real democracy and anti-Chinese speech would not be tolerated. Since you hate Chinese mainlanders, you would hate this scenario.

That is why I said, be careful what you wish for.
There are a million scenarios where China could have stayed split. It had been split just as often as it had been unified in history.

Anyway I don’t care about what you think. I mean if China were split NOW it would be good for us. The more messed up the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia