Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 03:29 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,965,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
There is lots of name calling here and people posting things like "PLA bioweapon" over and over again. Other users constantly necro post, even P&C wouldn't allow that. I also, can't remember seeing many "Biden sucks" or "Trump is Hitler" posts. The low quality posts are more like "Biden can't even read a teleprompter" which I definitely prefer over "They do harvest your organs!".
HAHA, yeah I saw the "harvest organs" thread, but notice no one responded. Notice that when someone mentioned that Covid was a China superweapon I rejected that theory as just silly. People are also blaming Bill Gates and cell phones for the cause of COVID. Just crazy stuff.
We likewise have one poster hear that is almost rabid anti-China/anti-communist. Only one that I can see. Yeah just humour him like we do for the other couple PRC apologists that post here (not you that I am aware of, but there are a few others). The rest are more reasonable and middle of the road.
I see the necro-poster guy as well and it bugs the hell out of me. So we have things in common.

I really enjoy the threads where it's like an Indonesian arguing with a Filipino. These inter-country rivalries in SE Asia are amusing. They get quite heated and I never understand them completely, but it's entertaining to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 04:42 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,523,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
There is lots of name calling here and people posting things like "PLA bioweapon" over and over again. Other users constantly necro post, even P&C wouldn't allow that. I also, can't remember seeing many "Biden sucks" or "Trump is Hitler" posts. The low quality posts are more like "Biden can't even read a teleprompter" which I definitely prefer over "They do harvest your organs!".

Asia forum is a nice place if you want to talk about Asia, but the quality is no better than P&C.
Nearly the entire P&OC forum consists of endless 'debates' (if you could even call them that) between democrats and republicans or conservatives vs liberals. The Biden vs Trump debacle is just the flavor of the month. In other sections, there's usually a focus placed on having actual discussions.

Old 12-10-2020, 06:27 PM

3,978 posts, read 5,808,268 times
This affair sounds a lot like the 1963 Profumo Scandal that did in British PM Harold MacMillan's government. Whether this new scandal is true or not, it gives the good moral lesson never to sleep around or have illicit affairs. I guess some will never learn.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:44 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,909,517 times
It could go either way that she's either a spy or simply a very aggressive and somewhat inept gold digger that got in over her head. If the FBI got involved and warned him then it could certainly tip towards the former; not every spy is a tactful, military-trained ninja who is trained in the art of seduction and waits till the target is asleep to hack into his computer. A lot of them are realtively dull people who get tapped by a government to do relatively mundane things, and relay little or nothing of consequence back.

Regardless, very stupid on the politician's end. If you're in any position of authority or power and suddenly out of nowhere, along comes a woman who is showing interest in you, you should have the sense to know what's up and what's at stake.

She could have been approached and offered a pittance to funnel anything interesting she found while pursuing her own interests, which does happen, especially with students. If she was earning a reputation, as it seems she was, then it would make sense that someone would approach her. I read that she was comfirmed to have met with a diplomat who was involved in spying which would lead some credence to that, but also that she wasn't believed to have found anything of value, and the guys she was targeting weren't exactly heavy hitters in the grand scheme of things.

Old 12-11-2020, 03:57 AM

1,136 posts, read 532,241 times
People should use their own brain or ask people who know the most instead of others.

Wan Kuok Koi, a Macau man and a triad boss imprisoned in Macau, known by almost all Macau Chinese since the early 1990s was mistaken for a big CCP guy by many bs media not in Macau and Mainland China.

Most Chinese people eat dogs and bats is also another bs by some media and people not in China.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:10 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,511,203 times
U.S. blacklists Chinese crime boss

https://news.yahoo.com/u-blacklists-...071748553.html

Widely known as Broken Tooth, Wan has close ties to China's Communist Party, and is accused of using his companies to try to paper over illegal criminal activity under the guise of China's large infrastructure strategy, the Belt and Road Initiative.

The measures announced on Wednesday targeted Wan Kuok Koi, a leader of China's 14K Triad organised crime group

Old 12-11-2020, 08:31 AM

30,735 posts, read 18,414,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
There is no evidence that she is a spy. She has never been charged or arrested in the US.

If I were her, I would sue New York Post.
However she has been in China since 2015 and I guess she won't care.
Fair or not, the NYP and other media outlets protect themselves from legal liability by using language such as "alleged" and "suspected."

Even if this wasn't the case, in order to bring a successful suit, the woman would have to prove that the statements against her are false (the media don't have to show they are true in a court of law, just that they had legitimate basis to make them--and the truth is an absolute defense to such lawsuits, so guilty people generally won't file a lawsuit if there is any truth to the statements--which could be providing information on the existence of a source, etc.), that the media was intentional and negligent in publishing the statements, and that she suffered financial harm as a result.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 12-11-2020 at 08:42 AM..

Old 12-11-2020, 10:03 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,909,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Fair or not, the NYP and other media outlets protect themselves from legal liability by using language such as "alleged" and "suspected."

Even if this wasn't the case, in order to bring a successful suit, the woman would have to prove that the statements against her are false (the media don't have to show they are true in a court of law, just that they had legitimate basis to make them--and the truth is an absolute defense to such lawsuits, so guilty people generally won't file a lawsuit if there is any truth to the statements--which could be providing information on the existence of a source, etc.), that the media was intentional and negligent in publishing the statements, and that she suffered financial harm as a result.
If she attempted to sue media outlets, then those media outlets would call on the FBI to release their info, and a judge could approve this. More likely, there is some validity to the accusations and either:

A) she is in fact a spy who was recalled, in which case her identity may be entirely fabricated and she simply goes back to work within her agency in some other capacity (her biometrics bring on file with the FBI would make it difficult for her to resume espionage abroad but she could be repurposed domestically), or
B) a layperson who was recruited on a low level, got in over her head, was advised to leave, and is now back in China and would prefer to stay out of the public eye due to the relative shame associated with the situation: even if she was viewed sympathetically by the pro-China crowd, she would also still be identified as someone who slept with old American guys.

The only reason this is getting any traction at the moment is because of Trump's renewed insistence that Biden is "controlled by China," and the inevitable parroting of this by his supporters. Most people seem to have already moved on from it. People who are paranoid about China will view this as a grave national threat, while the pro-China crowd seems to be positing that nothing happened and this is just another example of anti-China media bias when the truth is more likely in the middle.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:46 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,789,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
If she attempted to sue media outlets, then those media outlets would call on the FBI to release their info, and a judge could approve this. More likely, there is some validity to the accusations and either:

A) she is in fact a spy who was recalled, in which case her identity may be entirely fabricated and she simply goes back to work within her agency in some other capacity (her biometrics bring on file with the FBI would make it difficult for her to resume espionage abroad but she could be repurposed domestically), or
B) a layperson who was recruited on a low level, got in over her head, was advised to leave, and is now back in China and would prefer to stay out of the public eye due to the relative shame associated with the situation: even if she was viewed sympathetically by the pro-China crowd, she would also still be identified as someone who slept with old American guys.

The only reason this is getting any traction at the moment is because of Trump's renewed insistence that Biden is "controlled by China," and the inevitable parroting of this by his supporters. Most people seem to have already moved on from it. People who are paranoid about China will view this as a grave national threat, while the pro-China crowd seems to be positing that nothing happened and this is just another example of anti-China media bias when the truth is more likely in the middle.
Also she came to the US with a student visa, according to the reports. After she finished the study, she had to leave unless she got a work visa or a green card.

According to the immigration law, an international student is allowed to do the "Optional Practical Training" (OPT) after graduation. The maximum length is 12 months and one must find a employer within 90 days.
After the 12 months period, a student of STEM major can file for an OPT extension, which allows the petitioner to work for additional 17 months. Fang is not a STEM major so she does not have this option.

Obviously she does not have a green card, so she needed a work visa. The H1B work visa is a lottery system, and only a fraction of petitioners can have a chance. Therefore, if she failed to obtain an H1B visa in 2015, she had no choice but leave.

Old 12-14-2020, 01:27 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,091,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
There is no evidence that she is a spy. She has never been charged or arrested in the US.

If I were her, I would sue New York Post.
However she has been in China since 2015 and I guess she won't care.
It is not that she doesn't care, but hardly anyone in China thinks they would get a fair trial against a big media station in the US. That is especially true if the individual suing is a foreigner.

Maybe that is not true, but after reading the story of Sirous Asgari, then I tend to agree.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirous...by%20the%20FBI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia