Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 09:10 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,131,403 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this kind of thread has been done before, but what are some of the places in far East Asia or South Asia that are historical, elegant and timeless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 09:18 PM

8,873 posts, read 8,468,693 times
Kyoto obviously. Though I would not describe Paris and Rome as elegant. They are both dirty and shady as ****.

I remember reading somewhere that Kyoto, Paris, Rome and London (I'm not sure about this one, can be Istanbul or maybe Vienna) are the 4 must-see cultural capitals in the world.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:32 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,017,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Kyoto obviously. Though I would not describe Paris and Rome as elegant. They are both dirty and shady as ****.

I remember reading somewhere that Kyoto, Paris, Rome and London (I'm not sure about this one, can be Istanbul or maybe Vienna) are the 4 must-see cultural capitals in the world.
I'd rule out London. Istanbul & Vienna and/or Prague, Barcelona & St. Petersburg hands down!

Old 12-23-2020, 11:21 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,774,467 times
Quote:

How is it possible that Kyoto is include but Xi'an is not?

Xi'an (Chang'an) was the capital of Zhou, Qin, Han, Tang dynasties, and once the largest city in the world. It had been the capital of China for over a thousand years.

Even if you only consider historical sites, Xi'an offers much more than Kyoto: Terracotta Army (210 BC), Giant Wild Goose Pagoda (652 AD), Great Mosque (742 AD), City Wall, and so on.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
How is it possible that Kyoto is include but Xi'an is not?

Xi'an (Chang'an) was the capital of Zhou, Qin, Han, Tang dynasties, and once the largest city in the world. It had been the capital of China for over a thousand years.

Even if you only consider historical sites, Xi'an offers much more than Kyoto: Terracotta Army (210 BC), Giant Wild Goose Pagoda (652 AD), Great Mosque (742 AD), City Wall, and so on.
Yeah sure, in the 7th century it could be called elegant and timeless. But now? Xi'an is just another Chinese city with overwhelming (not to mention uncivilised) crowds, dystopian-looking concrete jungle, and is one of the most polluted cities in China. Besides, the Cultural Revolution destroyed much of Xi'an's historical heritage, most of what you see now were rebuilt recently and often look tacky af (like with the neon lights after dark). Kyoto on the other hand is refined, quaint, spotlessly clean, and surrounded by gorgeous nature.

I don't need to point out which city is which.

I know you would say I am anti-China and biased and all that jazz, but deep down you know what I wrote is completely true and literally everyone in the world would agree, including Chinese people.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:33 PM

3,482 posts, read 2,819,514 times
Ho Chi Minh City’s Catholic cathedral looks like a church you would find in Paris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dhJOtNf0kc

Old 12-23-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Yeah sure, in the 7th century it could be called elegant and timeless. But now? Xi'an is just another Chinese city with overwhelming (not to mention uncivilised) crowds, dystopian-looking concrete jungle, and is one of the most polluted cities in China. Besides, the Cultural Revolution destroyed much of Xi'an's historical heritage, most of what you see now were rebuilt recently and often look tacky af (like with the neon lights after dark). Kyoto on the other hand is refined, quaint, spotlessly clean, and surrounded by gorgeous nature.

I don't need to point out which city is which.

I know you would say I am anti-China and biased and all that jazz, but deep down you know what I wrote is completely true and literally everyone in the world would agree, including Chinese people.
Wow so ignorant.
The terracotta army, Great Wild Goose Pagoda, Great Mosque were all intact during the cultural revolution. None of them was built later.
In fact the terracotta army was firstly discovered in 1974, and opened to public in 1979. The cultural revolution ended in 1976.
Even during the cultural revolution, many of the most important historical sites were protected by the government, including the Forbidden City of Beijing.

Have you ever been to Kyoto? I have.
The city is just a "concrete jungle" but with a much smaller scale than Xi'an. Nothing historical in downtown area at all.
The famous 鹿苑寺 was actually rebuilt in 1955. Japan demolished many of its old architectures after the Meiji Restoration, and WWII destroyed everything else.

As a Taiwanese, you know that too, but you just hate China so much and you don't want to admit it.

In downtown Xi'an, the Bell Tower, the Drum Tower, the City Wall and so on were built in Ming Dynasty. There were some later renovations but nothing fundamental.

And yes, Xi'an is also a hub of education and technology, so it has a modern face as well.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Wow so ignorant.
The terracotta army, Great Wild Goose Pagoda, Great Mosque were all intact during the cultural revolution. None of them was built later.
In fact the terracotta army was firstly discovered in 1974, and opened to public in 1979. The cultural revolution ended in 1976.
Even during the cultural revolution, many of the most important historical sites were protected by the government, including the Forbidden City of Beijing.
Some of them are real, many are fake. And even the real ones are ruined by the incredibly rude and uncivilised crowds and the toxic air. It's a terrible experience. Actually even Kyoto is slowly becoming too crowded with Chinese tourists.

Quote:
Have you ever been to Kyoto? I have.
The city is just a "concrete jungle" but with a much smaller scale than Xi'an. Nothing historical in downtown area at all.
The famous 鹿苑寺 was actually rebuilt in 1955. Japan demolished many of its old architectures after the Meiji Restoration, and WWII destroyed everything else.
I obviously have.
Kyoto is a major city in Japan, of course it is also a concrete jungle, but history blends in well with the modernity, unlike China.
https://www.reddit.com/r/UrbanHell/c...in_xian_china/

And yes, all Japanese shrines and temples are rebuilt every few decades, but they are all restored tastefully and look awesome, unlike the trashy Chinese aesthetics.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Some of them are real, many are fake. And even the real ones are ruined by the incredibly rude and uncivilised crowds and the toxic air. It's a terrible experience. Actually even Kyoto is slowly becoming too crowded with Chinese tourists.

I obviously have.
Kyoto is a major city in Japan, of course it is also a concrete jungle, but history blends in well with the modernity, unlike China.
https://www.reddit.com/r/UrbanHell/c...in_xian_china/

And yes, all Japanese shrines and temples are rebuilt every few decades, but they are all restored tastefully and look awesome, unlike the trashy Chinese aesthetics.
Oh Xi'an is also a major city with 10 million population (7~8 million urban), much larger than any city in Taiwan.
So of course it has many recent and modern architectures, but it also maintained some old ones.

Japanese cities look wonderful in the 1980-1990s but now they are just ordinary and boring.
On the other hand, Chinese cities have built much better things in recent years.
Xi'an also adopts lots of traditional styles in its new projects and have some unique scenes.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Oh Xi'an is also a major city with 10 million population (7~8 million urban), much larger than any city in Taiwan.
So of course it has many recent and modern architectures, but it also maintained some old ones.
None of that contradicts what I wrote. Yeah any city in China has a **** ton of people, and? Xi'an is still polluted af and everywhere you go there are people behaving in the most uncivilised manner. When Japan has air pollution (which is very rare), it basically all comes from China.

Quote:
Japanese cities look wonderful in the 1980-1990s but now they are just ordinary and boring.
On the other hand, Chinese cities have built much better things in recent years.
Xi'an also adopts lots of traditional styles in its new projects and have some unique scenes.
According to you perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia