Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 04:39 AM

4 posts, read 3,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
Vietnam's rebased GDP (IMF only depends on country submitted statistics) is even doubted within Vietnam itself.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Opinion/Viet...ic-credibility

Here's the HDI content of several Philippine...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...elopment_Index

And Vietnamese regions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...elopment_Index

The discrepancy is so blatant one simply cannot believe the IMF accepted (As a policy) rebased GDP results of Communist Vietnam.

Where is the hard calculations and statistics on the ground showing that Vietnam has already surpassed the GDP per Capita of the Philippines when the Human Development Index of the Philippines show that the Philippines is still way ahead of Vietnam.
Brace yourself pinoy pride SELURONG + MANOLOPO!

Source IMF

Source World Bank

We like ur very confident the fastest growing economy in region! Pinoy pride!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 05:09 AM

4 posts, read 3,636 times
Singapore stomps Philippines with prosperity and development,
Indonesia stomps Phillipines with economic size,
Vietnam stomps Philippines with military power,
Thailands and Malaysia far better than Philippines in economic development and prosperity.

Philippines only superior against Burma and Cambodia amongst the ASEAN fellows.
There is potential only their proud westernisation and beauty pageant contest.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:49 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,467,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
I have been living in Thailand for years. If I had to choose Phils or VN, I would choose VN and it would be an easy choice. Lived in Arizona for years and the poverty culture of the overbreeding Catholics is somewhat worse than the hybrid communists. Not too many things worse than penniless, stunted growth, failures preaching about sharing.
You do know that South Vietnam is predominantly Christian, most of them being Catholic? Vietnamese immigrants to the U.S.--at least here in Houston--are roughly half Catholic and half Buddhist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
Ho Chi Minh probably has less crime but not better infrastructure. It can’t even build one train line. Manila has 4, with another long line opening up next year and two subway lines about to begin construction soon (hopefully).
Manila is finally getting more transportation options. On my visit almost a decade ago, I remember EDSA during afternoon rush hour being full of private cars, jeepneys and autobuses. The MRT was no better--still stuffed with passengers on the station platforms and in the train cars.

Glad to see that the PNR commuter rail line is finally in operation! I couldn't help but notice the lack of freight train tracks in the country and the missing at-grade railroad crossings (and the quintessential railroad crossing X-sign), especially in the provinces during my visit.

Old 01-23-2021, 02:43 PM

574 posts, read 378,134 times
I love the Philippines. I am an old guy but I was still treated like vip during the times I was there. People smile, and return greetings, even total strangers on the street. You can easily strike up a conversation as most speak English and are happy to talk with you. I am going back to live there as soon as the country opens. I will live in Cebu but take regular trips to Malapasqua or Bohol so I can sit on the beach and direct traffic.

Old 02-12-2021, 02:48 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,437,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
You do know that South Vietnam is predominantly Christian, most of them being Catholic? Vietnamese immigrants to the U.S.--at least here in Houston--are roughly half Catholic and half Buddhist.
South Vietnam? Haven't heard that term used in decades.

Old 02-12-2021, 03:53 PM

8,504 posts, read 6,923,465 times
Catholic Vietnamese refugees were spread all over the US in the 70’s. In part sponsored by the church. Thousands of these refugees were temporarily housed in tents at Camp Pendleton a Marine Corps base near here.

We have an a Vietnamese friend in LA who for years has flown the old South Vietnam flag in his front yard. A few years back there was a reunion of refugees here aboard the old aircraft carrier turned museum ship USS Midway. That’s the ship where the Vietnamese pilots flew their families out from Saigon in helicopters and even small planes.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:13 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,929,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
South Vietnam? Haven't heard that term used in decades.
It's not commonly used and Vietnam pretends they are one big happy family, but there is definitely still a division, culturally and economically, between the south and north in Vietnam. "Ho Chi Minh City?" - No one call it that except government shills, the locals still call it Saigon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia