Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 10:24 AM

2,810 posts, read 5,643,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
slightly off topic:
When I first read "China a developing country" I was like WHAT, NO WAY. But the WTO indeed does classify them as a developing country. Turns out WTO does not really define what is a developing country or not. Certainly China used to be, but now they are either the second or first largest economy in the world, depending on who you ask. Apparently China wants to keep that categorization to get the special benefits from WTO from that status. China playing games again. They really haven't been a "developing country" for at least a decade.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Opinion/Time...loping-country
It's not about the overall size of the economy. There is no doubt that China is the 2nd largest economy in the world- a powerhouse. And no doubt that they are on the rise big-time.

But being a developing country has to do with the much lower per capita GDP there vs in developed countries, which results in a lower overall standard of living.

You see it pretty easily when going there as I have on many occasions (my wife is Chinese, her family all live back there)- sure many people there live a comfortable live, but it is nothing like what the average American, Canadian, or Western European's life looks like as far as basics that they take for granted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 10:25 AM

8,882 posts, read 8,500,181 times
Quote:
slightly off topic:
When I first read "China a developing country" I was like WHAT, NO WAY. But the WTO indeed does classify them as a developing country. Turns out WTO does not really define what is a developing country or not. Certainly China used to be, but now they are either the second or first largest economy in the world, depending on who you ask. Apparently China wants to keep that categorization to get the special benefits from WTO from that status. China playing games again. They really haven't been a "developing country" for at least a decade.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Opinion/Time...loping-country
China is a developing country by all relevant metrics.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:25 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,974,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
You think respirators and ventilators are hi-tech? LMAO
You get what you pay for.
I didn't mention the technology of them so not sure why that is relevant. However, a respirator is simply a mask but vents are high tech medical device that runs about $25k to $50k depending on the sophistication (I work in the medical device industry).
Incidently vents really aren't good for covid as once thought - if you have a need for a vent you are pretty much dead, sadly.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:26 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,974,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
China is a developing country by all relevant metrics.
What is the relevant metric? I understand there isn't really any measuring metric, but I could be wrong.

I do agree, once you get out of the big cities there is lots of poverty, illiteracy, etc. But from the article:
"China has certainly come a long way from the early 1970s when per capita income was only around $120 a year. Income growth took off as economic reforms enabling entrepreneurship and new venture creation began in 1979 such that by 1997, the World Bank had officially recognized China as a lower-middle income economy. In 2010, the bank upgraded China to the upper-middle income level."

Old 01-14-2021, 10:29 AM

8,882 posts, read 8,500,181 times
Quote:
What is the relevant metric? I understand there isn't really any measuring metric, but I could be wrong.

I do agree, once you get out of the big cities there is lots of poverty, illiteracy, etc.
GDP per capita, life expectancy, human develop index, wealth per capita, household income etc. China is middling for a developing country. It’s not even at the top for any of them.

You know what other county is an upper-middle income country? Angola. The only reason why foreigners mistake China for a developed country is because a) it’s got a **** ton of people, so there are more rich people by number, and b) most foreigners have only been to Shanghai and Beijing.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:03 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,793,846 times
Quote:
GDP per capita, life expectancy, human develop index, wealth per capita, household income etc. China is middling for a developing country. It’s not even at the top for any of them.

You know what other county is an upper-middle income country? Angola. The only reason why foreigners mistake China for a developed country is because a) it’s got a **** ton of people, so there are more rich people by number, and b) most foreigners have only been to Shanghai and Beijing.
I agree China is a developing country and there are still lots of poor people.
But in terms of infrastructure, China is by far the best among all developing countries. Not just in Beijing and Shanghai.
For example, the top 5 metro systems in the world (by length) are all in China. Among top 10, 7 are from China. Among top 20, 13 are from China. This is not just because there are rich people (rich people don't take subways)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...o_systems#List.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:

I do agree, once you get out of the big cities there is lots of poverty, illiteracy, etc. But from the article:
"China has certainly come a long way from the early 1970s when per capita income was only around $120 a year. Income growth took off as economic reforms enabling entrepreneurship and new venture creation began in 1979 such that by 1997, the World Bank had officially recognized China as a lower-middle income economy. In 2010, the bank upgraded China to the upper-middle income level."
China has a huge population, so a lot of "per capita" figures do not look good.

However, just keep in mind lots of things cannot be "averaged" and should not be "averaged". Size also matters.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:54 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,515,683 times
Quote:
Wake me up when you get the Chinese vaccine instead of the Pfizer or Moderna or AZ vaccine.

^this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Yes he did. His hospital does not force workers to take it. In fact he already waited for a while.

That's what big brother wants you to believe.

Old 01-14-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
^this

That's what big brother wants you to believe.
So you know more about my family members than I do?
Ok. Go ahead.

Old 01-14-2021, 01:28 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,632,523 times
People vaccinated by Pfizer/nBiotech and Moderna vaccines may be silent spreaders of the virus

must wear mask if vaccinated

You are probably good 1 month after and until the 6th month. Then you may need another vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia