Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 01:17 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
There are a lot of dishes and ingredients from Mexico- you're just not familiar with them. And you don't go to the right regions in the Philippines where they're eaten. Manila is very Americanized, so don't expect to find a lot of the more rare and traditional dishes from other regions.

There are at least a couple Mexican restaurants in Manila that are authentic. This guy and his wife are both Mexicans and have been living in Manila for 6 years. He says that this place is authentic (this was during the strictest part of the lockdown, so he had to order the food)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS2q-pXC66o

But you'll find a lot more authentic Basque food in Manila than authentic Mexican food

I've been to many of the restaurants on the map and they're much closer to food you'd find in Spain compared to Mexican restaurants in Manila and their closeness to real Mexican food. It's because the Basque/Spanish restaurants are actually owned by people whose parents or grandparents came from Spain. The last Filipinos with Mexican grandparents died in the late 1800s.

I think the basic flavor profile of Filipino and Mexican cuisines are pretty divergent from each other even with their shared history. I would love to know more about regional Filipino dishes though. What are some recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 01:47 PM

546 posts, read 569,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think the basic flavor profile of Filipino and Mexican cuisines are pretty divergent from each other even with their shared history. I would love to know more about regional Filipino dishes though. What are some recommendations?
Bicolano Cuisine uses alot of Mexican Chili peppers and Chocolate, that's a result of Bicol being the first pitstop of the Galleons from Mexico back to the Philippines. Bicol was also were most of the Manila Galleons were built so it was settled by Mexican Shipwrights.

Bicolano Cuisine like Mexican is heavy on the Chili.

Old 02-28-2021, 02:02 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
Bicolano Cuisine uses alot of Mexican Chili peppers and Chocolate, that's a result of Bicol being the first pitstop of the Galleons from Mexico back to the Philippines. Bicol was also were most of the Manila Galleons were built so it was settled by Mexican Shipwrights.

Bicolano Cuisine like Mexican is heavy on the Chili.

I've had Bicol Express! I like it! It also very much tastes more like Southeast Asian cuisine than any of the regional Mexican cuisines I've had. However, I didn't have this in the Bicol region, so maybe I had it made incorrectly or inauthentically.

Old 02-28-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I've had Bicol Express! I like it! It also very much tastes more like Southeast Asian cuisine than any of the regional Mexican cuisines I've had. However, I didn't have this in the Bicol region, so maybe I had it made incorrectly or inauthentically.

There is also Kinilaw which is actually a localization of Peruvian Ceviche.

Kinilaw

https://www.foxyfolksy.com/kinilaw/

Ceviche

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/ceviche/

Old 03-01-2021, 02:31 AM

1,471 posts, read 1,414,990 times
Was in Hua Hin last week, paying 9 bucks per night for a decent hotel, close to the beach. Went on a hunt for some Bangkok style street food.. Nope, but did see a place selling two tacos for 240 THB or about 8 usd... ripoffs are common down there.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:07 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
I actually do find some Filipino food similar to Mexican and other Latin American food. Caldareta for example, is very similar to Carne guisada. There are other stew dishes like this that remind of Latin American dishes. Filipinos also love Chicharrones like many Latin Americans do.

Old 04-03-2021, 09:22 PM

1,471 posts, read 1,414,990 times
I have done these pulled pork tacos at Hooters Bangkok.. 299 THB ++ (They add 10% service charge then 7% VAT). Excellent, but salsa is too dry. They also have fish and shrimp tacos.. 299, and 499 THB, for three. But.. from 3-4 pm, every day, the entire menu is 50% off. So it goes from being pricey, to one of the best deals I have seen. The Hooters Pattaya has a better ambiance, overlooking the Gulf, and someone told me the one in Phuket is his favorite. The girls are pretty, but there are plenty of pretty Thai ladies on the BTS or any shopping mall. So, I am actually going to Hooters for the food. The one in Pattaya doesn't serve alcohol from 2-5pm, in accordance with local laws, but many other bars do.
Attached Thumbnails
Does anywhere in Asia have good Mexican food or Hispanic community?-167345616_4427138460649202_3445122700903139670_n.jpg  

Old 04-04-2021, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Are you sure you haven't gotten it upside down? In that, Southeast Asian cuisine is derived from Philippines spicy cuisine (At least the one's using Chili pepper). Not vice versa since Chili peppers were domesticated in Mexico and reached Asia via passing through Spanish-Philippines first, especially passing through the spice and chili loving Bicolano cuisine. Chili peppers have a longer history in the Philippines than in Thailand and Sichuan Province, China, which are renowed for spicy cuisine whereas foreigners call Philippine cuisine bland.

There are also genetic evidence for this, since apparently 2 out of 10 Bicolanos have Spanish or Mexican ancestry! (Makes sense since Bicol is the first port of call in the Philippines among the Transpacific Manila Galleons, connecting Latin-America and Southeast Asia).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicolano_people

Old 04-04-2021, 08:10 AM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
I have done these pulled pork tacos at Hooters Bangkok.. 299 THB ++ (They add 10% service charge then 7% VAT). Excellent, but salsa is too dry. They also have fish and shrimp tacos.. 299, and 499 THB, for three. But.. from 3-4 pm, every day, the entire menu is 50% off. So it goes from being pricey, to one of the best deals I have seen. The Hooters Pattaya has a better ambiance, overlooking the Gulf, and someone told me the one in Phuket is his favorite. The girls are pretty, but there are plenty of pretty Thai ladies on the BTS or any shopping mall. So, I am actually going to Hooters for the food. The one in Pattaya doesn't serve alcohol from 2-5pm, in accordance with local laws, but many other bars do.
Interesting. I walked by a lot at both Hooters Pattaya and Bangkok, but never stopped in. Just assumed all they had was wings and that it was overpriced.

The Hooters in Bangkok, did you go to the one on Soi 15 or Nana Soi 4?

Anyway, as soon as the quarantine is lifted, I will be going back to Thailand for some much needed R&R.

My favorite food is Mexican and Italian, Pizza, and Burgers, so any recommendations, feel free.

Although I do try to eat as healthy as I can, but vacation, sometimes like to loosen up a bit and enjoy some comfort food.

Old 11-22-2021, 03:19 AM

According to this study by 1898 as much as 9% of major urban areas in the Philippines were pure Chinese and 3.4% were pure Spanish.

The Latin American and Mixed bred populations continued to be absorbed into the Native Category though, what's interesting is that Mixed Chinese and Mixed Spanish as well as Latin Americans, actively tried to be reclassified as pure Malay since they have lower taxes.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/2979214...n_tab_contents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia