Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 11:22 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times

Advertisements

how about Singapore?
Japan is nice,but who can afford it?
what about China,that Hai Nan island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2021, 01:05 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,886,522 times
Singapore does not issue retirement visas. Most foreigners there are on a work visa. Even if there was a retirement visa most of the budget type expats like the ones in the Philippines or Thailand could not afford the high cost of living.

It’s a first world country. Unlike other places young Singaporean women are not interest in older men with limited financial resources. It is possible to get permanent residency if you are married to a local although it’s not an automatic or easy process.

Last edited by msgsing; 08-01-2021 at 01:14 PM..

Old 08-01-2021, 07:24 PM

3 posts, read 1,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
how about Singapore?
Japan is nice,but who can afford it?
what about China,that Hai Nan island?
Singapore is nice - quite futuristic and very clean.

But it is socially very dull. It seems like almost everyone is a workaholic who devotes themselves wholly to their company.

I really enjoy visiting Singapore, but I don't think I could live there and be happy.

China - is too diverse for me to comment accurately as i've only been to Guangdong Province. Your mileage will vary i'd say. You want the advice of someone who is very familiar with multiple regions.

Old 08-02-2021, 10:44 AM

574 posts, read 376,837 times
I have not been to Thailand in a very long time. I do however try to keep up with the news as I am interested in the Phuket tourism experiment and how that works out. Other countries in the region might follow the example if it works. I watched a few video's about an expat trying to help out. Spend several hundred of his own money to buy food for a village on hard times. The sad part is he will run out of money. In Pattaya people line up by the hundreds for food handouts and there is never enough. Only one example in a large region that is struggling with the lack of tourism dollars.

Not just Thailand but around the world.

I think now would be a good time to remain put until the virus is contained which might be years. Unless you are a missionary or philanthropist? Then by all means do what you can to make a difference.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:48 AM

1,136 posts, read 525,283 times
Hainan is a warmer and cheaper place than major cities of China. Not many foreigners there due to few jobs for foreigners.
Very few or no covid cases in most provinces of China including Hainan this year.

Singapore is similar to HK, it is possible for foreign talents to be a permanent resident. It is more expensive than Taiwan and all other southeast Asian countries.

There are many restrictions in southeast Asia now due to high number of covid cases. Moving there is not like before the pandemic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Singapore does not issue retirement visas. Most foreigners there are on a work visa. Even if there was a retirement visa most of the budget type expats like the ones in the Philippines or Thailand could not afford the high cost of living.

It’s a first world country. Unlike other places young Singaporean women are not interest in older men with limited financial resources. It is possible to get permanent residency if you are married to a local although it’s not an automatic or easy process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia