Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 07:32 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times

Advertisements

Has TAIPEI developed that COOL FACTOR much like Tokyo & Seoul?

When I view the neon-lit streets, alleys, and nightmarkets of Taipei on YouTube, it certainly seems it has. What do others think?

I was in Taipei years ago, and I didn't see it then, but I was also in Seoul for years as it transformed into something very cool. I kind of suspect Taipei is either on that same path, or has already arrived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 11:06 AM

For example, these streets looks like something I'd commonly see in Seoul or Tokyo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF3YBe2UZwk

Old 08-09-2021, 11:17 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
I feel like Taipei is known for being gay and slow and the food than it is cool.

Old 08-09-2021, 12:26 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,160,401 times
LOL. I have quite a few Taiwanese friends. Taiwan cool? I wouldn't hold my breathe. Now granted, I've only been in the airport (we always fly Eva Air from Seattle to Taiwan to Thailand) and I've been in this airport a dozen times.

Taiwan has this kind of frumpy, nerdy, conservative vibe going on. My Taiwanese friends would tend to agree.

Old 08-10-2021, 05:39 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,085,791 times
Japanese and Koreans like to drink and party.

Taiwanese are much more subdued when it comes to that.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

Yeah, I've heard that Taiwan is more a tea culture. Drinking is way less interesting in Taipei, or so I've heard.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yeah, I've heard that Taiwan is more a tea culture. Drinking is way less interesting in Taipei, or so I've heard.
I go for drinks fairly frequently (well, at least before the lockdown) and there are definitely a lot of bars popping up these days.

Tea and coffee are both very popular too. Taipei frequently appears on those "best coffee cities" clickbait travel articles. I don't know how legit they are though as I don't drink coffee.

Living in: The world’s top coffee cities
World’s Top 11 Coffee Cities Every Coffee Lover Should Visit
21 of the world's best cities for coffee lovers

Tea goes without saying.

Last edited by Greysholic; 08-10-2021 at 11:12 PM..

Old 08-11-2021, 09:11 AM

1,136 posts, read 524,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

Yeah, Chinese cultures have less drinking than Japanese and South Koreans , also Southern Chinese drink less than northern Chinese.

Shops and vending machines selling tea are everywehere in Taiwan. Different types of tea are popular in Taiwan, including various Chinese tea and other teas with milk. Tea is grown locally, more expensive than tea grown in mainland China but cheaper than Japanese tea , but most coffee are imported.

Taiwan and Hainan are unique in east Asia with a wide selection of tropical fruits.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:52 AM

676 posts, read 647,173 times
To be fair Taipei is one of the few great first world cities in Asia with personal democratic freedoms, so that already puts it in very rare company - only Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore and Hong Kong could really claim to be peers in that respect, and Hong Kong is rapidly losing its status. I kind of feel like in today's environment, any Western educated person who is fluent in Chinese would probably find Taipei their best or second best choice of city in east Asia.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
To be fair Taipei is one of the few great first world cities in Asia with personal democratic freedoms, so that already puts it in very rare company - only Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore and Hong Kong could really claim to be peers in that respect, and Hong Kong is rapidly losing its status. I kind of feel like in today's environment, any Western educated person who is fluent in Chinese would probably find Taipei their best or second best choice of city in east Asia.
Singapore barely has any democratic freedoms. Taipei sticks out like a sore thumb in Asia in democratic practices, LGBT rights, women's rights and gay-friendliness. I am gay myself and I see gay men and lesbians everywhere all the time. On those levels there's no peers in Asia except Tel Aviv, which is practically Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia