Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 01:01 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,093,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Totally BS.
Chinese women have a relatively high status in East Asia. Even many Taiwanese say (urban) mainland women are "aggressive" and dominant. I heard Korean and Japanese people say the same.
Mainland Chinese might be "aggressive" and dominant compared to Japanese or Koreans, but not compared to other places such as Scandinavia.

And it doesn't really matter, because we are only talking about mainland's women relationships with powerful men, and those women tend to be subservient and powerless. This is enforced by the legal system where they risk losing access to wealth and their kids if they choose to divorce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2021, 07:28 AM

8,882 posts, read 8,500,181 times
Quote:
Totally BS.
Chinese women have a relatively high status in East Asia. Even many Taiwanese say (urban) mainland women are "aggressive" and dominant. I heard Korean and Japanese people say the same.
It's exceedingly common for machismo cultures and societies to pigeonhole women into these aggressive, fiery or dominant boxes. It's a rhetoric invented by men to masquerade male dominance and reinforces gender roles. Women in these cultures (Russia, Latin America, China etc.) are often completely powerless when it comes to things that actually matter such as violence, body autonomy, and economic freedom.

Quote:
In China adultery is also a big scandal (much more serious than in western countries) and often ends one's career if he is a public figure. Many famous Chinese actors, for example, are banned due to their affairs.
Except that does not apply to politicians. Who has been disappeared? Peng Shuai or Zhang Gaoli?

Rape within the CCP ruling class is so common it's basically the norm. China makes Hollywood casting couch looks as harmless as kindergarten paste.

Old 11-22-2021, 08:29 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,974,820 times
Update:
She has made her first contact with someone outside of official Chinese channels via a virtual call with the president of the IOC, standing by on the call was a Chinese "sports official". She is alive and apparently healthy, but it still doesn't explain why she disappeared for over 2 weeks, or why PRC is censoring talk of the sexual assault incident. It's also telling that her video call was to the relatively more PRC friendly IOC, who is apparently willing to accept the laughingly false state narrative, and not the WTA.
Still many questions unanswered.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/22/china...hnk/index.html
"It was good to see Peng Shuai in recent videos, but they don't alleviate or address the WTA's concern about her well-being and ability to communicate without censorship or coercion"

Old 11-22-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
It seems you don't understand many young women chase rich old men. I just remind you of that.
I'm not saying Peng Shuai is one of them, but I don't rule it out until I see more evidence.
I don't understand why you are diverting the topic into one of motive. That's not the issue - the issue is one of censorship and human rights. There will be no more "evidence" as the government has seen to that.
  • Why did Peng Shuai go missing for two weeks?
  • Why did (and still does) PRC censor all media and report, including online internet, related to Peng Shuai's sexual assault claim or the international question of her dissapearance?
  • Why did PRC generate what are embarrassingly obvious staged emails and videos?
  • Why is the PRC even not making an attempt to investigate her sexual assault claim?

And if you want to divert, we can get more detail on the number of other individuals critical to the PRC government or PRC officials that have also "disappeared", and if reappeared at all, suddenly changed their story.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:56 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,793,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It's exceedingly common for machismo cultures and societies to pigeonhole women into these aggressive, fiery or dominant boxes. It's a rhetoric invented by men to masquerade male dominance and reinforces gender roles. Women in these cultures (Russia, Latin America, China etc.) are often completely powerless when it comes to things that actually matter such as violence, body autonomy, and economic freedom.
Show me the evidence. My mother is a Chinese woman and I never feel she is powerless. She enjoys all the rights men enjoy and is respected in the family. The same applies to other women I am familiar with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Except that does not apply to politicians. Who has been disappeared? Peng Shuai or Zhang Gaoli?

Rape within the CCP ruling class is so common it's basically the norm. China makes Hollywood casting couch looks as harmless as kindergarten paste.
Name one Chinese politician in position, who has a CONFIRMED affair.
"Rape within the CCP ruling class is so common it's basically the norm": BS and lie.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I don't understand why you are diverting the topic into one of motive. That's not the issue - the issue is one of censorship and human rights. There will be no more "evidence" as the government has seen to that.
  • Why did Peng Shuai go missing for two weeks?
  • Why did (and still does) PRC censor all media and report, including online internet, related to Peng Shuai's sexual assault claim or the international question of her dissapearance?
  • Why did PRC generate what are embarrassingly obvious staged emails and videos?
  • Why is the PRC even not making an attempt to investigate her sexual assault claim?

And if you want to divert, we can get more detail on the number of other individuals critical to the PRC government or PRC officials that have also "disappeared", and if reappeared at all, suddenly changed their story.
Chinese social media do not allow talking about personal affairs of government officials, especially when it is a rumor. You didn't know that?

I am not saying I support this policy, but you must have pretended not to know it on purpose.

Old 11-22-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Mainland Chinese might be "aggressive" and dominant compared to Japanese or Koreans, but not compared to other places such as Scandinavia.

And it doesn't really matter, because we are only talking about mainland's women relationships with powerful men, and those women tend to be subservient and powerless. This is enforced by the legal system where they risk losing access to wealth and their kids if they choose to divorce.
If you are familiar with Chinese politics, you should know Chinese politicians always end their career when their inappropriate relationship with women is exposed. It does not have to be an assault, just an affair will do.

Of course, those with power have ways to hide their personal affairs, and it is probably very common. However rapists and alike are extremely unlikely to be promoted. We are talking about top politicians, not some county mayor.

Old 11-22-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Chinese social media do not allow talking about personal affairs of government officials, especially when it is a rumor. You didn't know that?

I am not saying I support this policy, but you must have pretended not to know it on purpose.
Huh? What a strange response. You didn't address anything in my post, but regardless it's not a rumor, but an accusation by the victim of sexual assault. And censorship is kinda the point here! Censorship to the extreme where the powers are willing to not only to manipulate social media, but to create false evidence and coerce the victim in making the claims go away. The government of course controls social media and controls the narrative. You didn't know that? You must have pretending not to know it on purpose.

Yeah I would hope you don't support a policy of coercing rape victims to reverse there accusations for political reasons. Anyways if you don't support the policy, then condemn it like everyone else is instead of diverting the topic as you did in previous responses. Simply saying "oh it's not allowed in China" doesn't make it OK. Seriously, are you living in some twilight zone of denial?

Old 11-22-2021, 03:57 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,915,865 times
The problem with making statements like, "Chinese politicians' careers always end when their affair is exposed," and "Chinese social media doesn't allow talking about the personal affairs of government officials" is that the latter is clearly a policy which protects the officials and would prevent someone who wants to come forward with allegations or impropriety, assault, etc from being heard. They would have to go through government channels which are sympathetic to the official for it to be heard, likely resulting in very big problems for the accuser. There are no shortage of stories of people in China getting railroaded after a dispute with an official. The government would almost certainly rather not let the public know because it conflicts with the image of paternalistic benevolence they project, and undermines their absolute authority.

The thing that gets me is that everyone in China knows this happens, and even within China and among Chinese people, these things are discussed. But, the impulse to defend or save face for China runs so deep, that when talking with people on the outside, people will often say the opposite. It shows how successful the CCP has been in tying the nation, the ethnicity, and the culture together into one, and then binding the individual to that.

Hell, I see it with my wife, even. We can have a discussion on something that wasn't so pleasant in China - for example, subpar medical services - where she will talk about the low pay, high stress, and lack of respect that doctors face. Then, if I mention that to my father or a friend and she's around: "no no no, you don't understand, the doctors in China are very good and highly respected, but there are just too many people."

This is always the default... "You don't understand. You're not Chinese." No, I do understand. Lots of other people do, too. I wish that more of the people who defend China reflexively could understand how these displays of reactionary defensiveness when everyone - including themselves - know what's up, only serve to make China look worse.

Old 11-22-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
The problem with making statements like, "Chinese politicians' careers always end when their affair is exposed," and "Chinese social media doesn't allow talking about the personal affairs of government officials" is that the latter is clearly a policy which protects the officials and would prevent someone who wants to come forward with allegations or impropriety, assault, etc from being heard. They would have to go through government channels which are sympathetic to the official for it to be heard, likely resulting in very big problems for the accuser. There are no shortage of stories of people in China getting railroaded after a dispute with an official. The government would almost certainly rather not let the public know because it conflicts with the image of paternalistic benevolence they project, and undermines their absolute authority.

The thing that gets me is that everyone in China knows this happens, and even within China and among Chinese people, these things are discussed. But, the impulse to defend or save face for China runs so deep, that when talking with people on the outside, people will often say the opposite. It shows how successful the CCP has been in tying the nation, the ethnicity, and the culture together into one, and then binding the individual to that.

Hell, I see it with my wife, even. We can have a discussion on something that wasn't so pleasant in China - for example, subpar medical services - where she will talk about the low pay, high stress, and lack of respect that doctors face. Then, if I mention that to my father or a friend and she's around: "no no no, you don't understand, the doctors in China are very good and highly respected, but there are just too many people."

This is always the default... "You don't understand. You're not Chinese." No, I do understand. Lots of other people do, too. I wish that more of the people who defend China reflexively could understand how these displays of reactionary defensiveness when everyone - including themselves - know what's up, only serve to make China look worse.
It is very likely they had an affair, and I believe it myself too. However, "rape" is a serious accusation and I need to see more evidence.
Those who blindly believe the accusation are biased against government officials to begin with, no matter they are Chinese or not. And this is unfair too. If you have to ask me, I think there is only 40% possibility that Peng Shuai was really raped, before more evidence surfaces.

Also, playing with high ranking politicians is risky in all countries in the world. There is no point to complain that women in such scenarios have some disadvantages. Of course they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia