Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 06:56 AM

37,314 posts, read 39,731,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
That’s laughable. Canada is one of the most sparsely populated countries in the world. By area it’s larger than China but the population size is about 3% as large. Of course HSR wouldn’t be viable. It might be viable on US east coast, like say a line from Boston to DC, but that’s about it

It's weird to think that's laughable or maybe you're unfamiliar with Canada. I doubt that poster is talking HSR criss-crossing the country, but probably instead the corridor where Toroton, Ottawa and Montreal are. If the US and Canada ever work out the kinks of preclearance for cross border train routes, then that route also might do well to connect to Detroit-Chicago or to NYC via Buffalo, and the Pacific Northwest line from Vancouver to Seattle would be pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 07:46 AM

8,882 posts, read 8,500,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's weird to think that's laughable or maybe you're unfamiliar with Canada. I doubt that poster is talking HSR criss-crossing the country, but probably instead the corridor where Toroton, Ottawa and Montreal are. If the US and Canada ever work out the kinks of preclearance for cross border train routes, then that route also might do well to connect to Detroit-Chicago or to NYC via Buffalo, and the Pacific Northwest line from Vancouver to Seattle would be pretty good.
If that works out then cool, but I don’t see that happening.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:08 AM

1,684 posts, read 894,607 times
China gets the following benefits out of the rail system, even though it is technically unprofitable

1) shows citizens that the government is getting things done
2) encourages settlement of the vast interior west and the Tibetan plateau
3) employs citizens
4) allows it to grow it technological expertise, and eventually export to other countries
5) provides means for rural populations to access the cities

Infrastructure is an unprofitable venture (at least on the grand scale). This is the reason why governments have historically handled it. You can't measure its success strictly on profitability. Have to take into account social and geopolitical achievements.

Old 01-14-2022, 10:39 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,339,477 times
I be curious is it still true that the proposed yet to be built single 400 mile line CAHSR's projected cost to complete the project is still higher than the entire 10,000 kilometer system China had built?

I am not surprised that COVID lockdowns derails the HSR vision.

I always thought they built HSR to free up traditional rail capacity to move their over increasing freight load.

Old 01-14-2022, 02:10 PM

2,305 posts, read 1,392,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I be curious is it still true that the proposed yet to be built single 400 mile line CAHSR's projected cost to complete the project is still higher than the entire 10,000 kilometer system China had built?

I am not surprised that COVID lockdowns derails the HSR vision.

I always thought they built HSR to free up traditional rail capacity to move their over increasing freight load.
Any idea of the budget estimate slated for the "proposed 400 mile line CAHSR" ?

According to this article:
"New York is undergoing its biggest subway expansion in 50 years with the Second Avenue Subway.
The stretch between 63rd Street and 96th was completed in 2017, and it cost $1.7 billion per kilometre. "

https://www.theb1m.com/video/how-new...pensive-subway

Old 01-14-2022, 04:40 PM
pdw

2,722 posts, read 3,136,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
China gets the following benefits out of the rail system, even though it is technically unprofitable

1) shows citizens that the government is getting things done
2) encourages settlement of the vast interior west and the Tibetan plateau
3) employs citizens
4) allows it to grow it technological expertise, and eventually export to other countries
5) provides means for rural populations to access the cities

Infrastructure is an unprofitable venture (at least on the grand scale). This is the reason why governments have historically handled it. You can't measure its success strictly on profitability. Have to take into account social and geopolitical achievements.
Uh oh trying to change the demographics so the local minority groups get pushed out?

Old 01-14-2022, 04:58 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,455,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Uh oh trying to change the demographics so the local minority groups get pushed out?
My gosh, that is just terrible! Why, that sounds almost like how western Canada and the western USA got populated by "settlers" from the crowded cities of the east coast after the railroads were built across the great plains in the 19th century!

Old 01-14-2022, 05:07 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,339,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Any idea of the budget estimate slated for the "proposed 400 mile line CAHSR" ?

According to this article:
"New York is undergoing its biggest subway expansion in 50 years with the Second Avenue Subway.
The stretch between 63rd Street and 96th was completed in 2017, and it cost $1.7 billion per kilometre. "

https://www.theb1m.com/video/how-new...pensive-subway
Right now it’s about $100 billion dollars and likely to go over budget which is about the similar as how much China spent building their current existing HSR system. Makes me curious what is the main expensive section of CAHSR. What I can think is the San Gabriel Mountains it must pass through.

I remember the original cost being about $35 billion while they first planned it while the six mile BART extension in the Bay Area costed around 6 billion. Thus a metro rail costs much more per mile to build than HSR.

Old 01-14-2022, 06:51 PM
pdw

2,722 posts, read 3,136,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
My gosh, that is just terrible! Why, that sounds almost like how western Canada and the western USA got populated by "settlers" from the crowded cities of the east coast after the railroads were built across the great plains in the 19th century!
You’re not wrong. I guess the CCP prides themselves on having the moral compass of 19th century imperialists

Old 01-14-2022, 10:37 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,647,384 times
The US judges success by how much stockholders profit from it. China judges success by how much it improves th e well[being of the users.

Not the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia