Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 08:10 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,590,403 times

Advertisements

the average Americans can now buy online and find bargains .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 05:35 PM

671 posts, read 320,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
With Xi closing down industry after industry, it is actually China that has started to destroy itself from within.

How many Chinese companies with a market cap of above $100B can you name that has a promising future? In America I can find plenty, such as Apple ($2,900B), Alphabet ($1,900B), Amazon ($1,700B).

This question would have been really easy 2 years ago, Alibaba, Tencent, Huawei. But now, 2 of them are being punished by the CCP and the last got crippled under US sanctions. Many of the biggest companies in China now are just banks, which have grown big from the Chinese housing bubble.
let see, apple is more promising than alphabet and amazon because of the chinese manufacturing and chinese market.

that said, I hope by now you realized the difference between china and america, where one country is ruled by corporations while other one keeps the corporations in check for the wellbeing of the majority.

I'm sure the people who is struggling with home prices in the west would love their government to tell them that houses for living, not for flipping for profit.

Old 01-01-2022, 06:23 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,096,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maomao View Post
let see, apple is more promising than alphabet and amazon because of the chinese manufacturing and chinese market.

that said, I hope by now you realized the difference between china and america, where one country is ruled by corporations while other one keeps the corporations in check for the wellbeing of the majority.

I'm sure the people who is struggling with home prices in the west would love their government to tell them that houses for living, not for flipping for profit.
How can you use housing as an argument for China? Chinese home prices are among the worst in the world, and large amount of property is empty as people are buying them for investment. To fix this, China is testing out property taxes in a select few cities, while the USA has had significantly higher property tax for decades.

Rent is cheap, but the CCP does not protect tenants well like in Germany and also do not give them the possibility to put their hukou there. Not only does this screw over the poorest in Chinese society, but it pushes up property prices.

In addition, China does not have free health care, has massive income inequality and labour is often abused. How is that taking care of the wellbeing of the majority?

Old 01-01-2022, 06:39 PM

rent in major cities are not cheap.
Chinese have been around for thousand of years,they take care of themselves,one way or the other.

Old 01-01-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Amazon and Apple might as well be Chinese companies. Amazon is heavily promoting CCP agendas while Apple employs 350,000 Chinese to make their products. Big companies benefit a very small group of people such as shareholders and upper management, but not the average American people.
Amazon is a global company and hires people worldwide. But it is an American company, so it is America not China who is seeing most of the benefits.

If the roles were reversed, and Alibaba was the world's largest e-commerce platform. Don't you think that would help China?

And even if we disregard big companies, it is not like small companies are doing great in China either.

Quote:
China’s smallest firms failing at historic pace as 4.37 million close up shop and registrations plummet

Only 1.32 million new micro and small firms opened in China during the first 11 months of this year, compared with 6.13 million last year
https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-e...-million-close

Old 01-01-2022, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
rent in major cities are not cheap.
Chinese have been around for thousand of years,they take care of themselves,one way or the other.
Chinese take care of their family, not strangers. So you can propably guess what happens to people who don't have a lot of support from their family?

In terms of rent, I live in a New Tier 1 city and is renting a 300 sqm house for 2500 per month. Buying the same place would cost 5 million yuan. That is a rental yield of 0.5%.

Normal rental yields in the west are around 3 - 7%.
https://www.globalpropertyguide.com/rental-yields

Old 01-02-2022, 05:44 AM
pdw

2,723 posts, read 3,142,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Chinese take care of their family, not strangers. So you can propably guess what happens to people who don't have a lot of support from their family?

In terms of rent, I live in a New Tier 1 city and is renting a 300 sqm house for 2500 per month. Buying the same place would cost 5 million yuan. That is a rental yield of 0.5%.

Normal rental yields in the west are around 3 - 7%.
https://www.globalpropertyguide.com/rental-yields
I remember hearing that China has the worlds biggest homeless population. Is this just proportional to the overall number of people or is it higher per capita than even the United States? The impression I get of Chinese culture is that there is a big influence of memories of scarcity that is similar to Westerners who lived through the Great Depression. There is also a huge communitarian element to their culture that we can learn from them as well, though. I see an element of respect for the common man that we don’t see here. I doubt, for instance, you’d see people in China yelling and getting into fist fights because someone was driving too slowly. I could be wrong as I’m not as familiar with Chinese culture, but this is what I see as an outsider

Old 01-02-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
1. I remember hearing that China has the worlds biggest homeless population. Is this just proportional to the overall number of people or is it higher per capita than even the United States?

2. The impression I get of Chinese culture is that there is a big influence of memories of scarcity that is similar to Westerners who lived through the Great Depression.

3. There is also a huge communitarian element to their culture that we can learn from them as well, though. I see an element of respect for the common man that we don’t see here. I doubt, for instance, you’d see people in China yelling and getting into fist fights because someone was driving too slowly. I could be wrong as I’m not as familiar with Chinese culture, but this is what I see as an outsider
1. I don't think that is true. China's homeownership rate is high, and most people have some family. China also doesn't have a big drug problem. Most people have a place to sleep, but many people have very poor living conditions. Not always because of misfortune, a lot of people just don't bother and sleep in their own filth. It is really hard for me to understand those people.

2. That is my impression as well. Lots of Chinese hoard, because of the influence of memories of scarcity under Mao.

3. China is a family-centric culture, not a communitarian culture. I come from Scandinavia, and it is much more communitarian. In Norway, we have something called Dugnad, which is where people in the community get together to fix up their neighborhood, school, and more. That does not exist in China, hence most villages look terrible and urban communities need to hire employees to clean up after the residents.

And yes, if you drive too slow, then cars behind you will yell and honk at you.

Old 01-02-2022, 08:20 PM

When the Japanese housewife sweeps her home,she will come out into the street and sweep whatever is there outside her home,but the other Asians do not,they may keep their own home clean,but leave the street to the city.
Who said Chinese live in filth?may be they dont have carpeting or drapes and toilets,but thats a lower standard of living,
Have you ever seen off campus American undergraduate college students live?They live in pigsty!

Old 01-02-2022, 08:23 PM

That is my impression as well. Lots of Chinese hoard, because of the influence of memories of scarcity under Mao.
----
Not Mao,but hundreds of years of political turmoil ,famine teach them to live below their m eans and save more,so they can run for their life when there is a sweeping civil war or famine.
They do not have Bernarke with his helicopter mentality?
Or Citicorp sending you letter telling you your VISA,MC have just been preapproved !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia