Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 09:15 PM

14 posts, read 12,796 times

Advertisements

I'm applying for a job in South Korea, and I know the cost of living in these two cities are really high so I'm looking at other options that might be a bit cheaper. I'm considering Gwangju or Daejeon. But I haven't been to either of those cities. Anything that might help me make my decision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 11:48 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitrun21 View Post
I'm applying for a job in South Korea, and I know the cost of living in these two cities are really high so I'm looking at other options that might be a bit cheaper. I'm considering Gwangju or Daejeon. But I haven't been to either of those cities. Anything that might help me make my decision?
Busan isn't that expensive, and would probably have a lot more job opportunities.

If you want to go to a affordable city, just apply across the country except Seoul and if you get considered then research the city to see if you like it.

You can always move to another city later.

Old 04-03-2022, 05:29 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Without a doubt, seaside coastal resort town of Sokcho: https://www.google.com/maps/place/So...18489?hl=en-US
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...won-Sokcho.svg
In the far northeast of the country within reach of Hokkaido Island Of Japan, Siberia Russia major city of Vladivostok, North Korea
Population 80,000 to 90,000
Space age dreamy futuristic Sokcho Expo Tower:
https://t1.thpservices.com/previewim...-hem143136.jpg
Almost commuter friendly distance to Seoul on bus into rather steep mountainous terrain
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ex...23913?hl=en-US

There is also of course Incheon(A city of 3 million) immediately next to Seoul, What a scenic Seoul region subway ride above the ground that isn't expensive
Yongin(A Seoul suburb)
Gwangju, Jeju, Daejeon, Daegu are other posssibilities
Beaches close to Gimpo from airplane
Back in South Korea December 2020 To February 2021 Middle Of A Freezing Arctic Winter. Even in Sokcho.

Last edited by ; 04-03-2022 at 05:52 PM..

Old 06-09-2022, 11:15 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
I've lived in Seoul & Busan. Regarding other cities, I don't think they are considerably cheaper, probably just marginally. It's generally quite uniform, unless you are looking to buy property or something, than of course everyone wants to have a Seoul address for their real estate.

If you are teaching English, the schools usually supply the apartments to live in, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Also, in general, South Korea isn't that big of a place, and most of it is fairly uniform. So, Daegu or Daejeon isn't going to be much different. Daegu is one of the most conservative ciities; whereas Daejeon is almost a satellite city of Seoul. I'd probably opt for Daejeon out of the two; but I'd also opt for Seoul or Busan over everywhere else.

Old 06-09-2022, 12:38 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've lived in Seoul & Busan. Regarding other cities, I don't think they are considerably cheaper, probably just marginally. It's generally quite uniform, unless you are looking to buy property or something, than of course everyone wants to have a Seoul address for their real estate.

If you are teaching English, the schools usually supply the apartments to live in, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Also, in general, South Korea isn't that big of a place, and most of it is fairly uniform. So, Daegu or Daejeon isn't going to be much different. Daegu is one of the most conservative ciities; whereas Daejeon is almost a satellite city of Seoul. I'd probably opt for Daejeon out of the two; but I'd also opt for Seoul or Busan over everywhere else.
Have you ever went to Jeju island, or Sokcho? What years have you stayed in Seoul, Busan? 2006-2013?

Rental commercial lease law in South Korea is unique. People pay at a certain price that isn't overwhelming, then don't have to pay monthly rent afterwards. No wonder South Korea did so well with Independent Wifi Cafes. Without risk of permanently closing.

South Korea never felt rigid or oppressive to me. A bit more diversity than expected. Still a spiritually pure country. And didn't feel stressful or overly competetive. Maybe behind the scenes for the natives, it's a different situation? Or in the work offices. Only there for vacation before.

Incheon is the satellite city.

Other than Daegu, Daejeon, there is also Gwangju. Another city of one million+.

South Korea is a bit more highly Decentralized than some expected.

Old 07-18-2022, 12:36 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Have you ever went to Jeju island, or Sokcho?
Yes, both, twice.

Sokcho is pretty cool, on the east coast, and you can get to Seoul somewhat reasonably. A really nice area. Beautiful nature everywhere.

Jeju Island is 'Hawaii of South Korea'....honeymooners, etc. It's still very Korea, just slightly slightly warmer temperature (but still dang cold in winter), and some different types of trees that look a bit tropical. But, I wouldn't get too woo'ed by the concept of Jeju. It SOUNDS amazing, but it's still basically Korea through and through just with a slightly slightly different feel.

Old 07-19-2022, 01:07 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,015,953 times
Incheon comes to mind? But idk man, I am starting to suspect South Korea may be just a pretty language but that's about it. Based on my very little experience, comparing them say to Japan they're rude, mercantile, no sense of humour, racist, over-worked, no time for fun and that's just 'experience'...imagine if you include all the random facts you find in wikipedia about dogeating and christian fanatics. Good luck tho.

Old 08-27-2022, 02:37 AM

2 posts, read 1,145 times
Quote:
Maybe you can check out daegyu.

Old 09-09-2022, 11:42 PM

20 posts, read 34,634 times
Unless you have very close ties to Korean culture, and even then its a serious risk, you should carefully consider if you can handle the high chance of mental trauma, social isolation, overt racism, long work hours and hostility around every corner. Korean dramas are opposite of reality.

Old 12-01-2022, 08:11 PM

21 posts, read 12,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Incheon comes to mind? But idk man, I am starting to suspect South Korea may be just a pretty language but that's about it. Based on my very little experience, comparing them say to Japan they're rude, mercantile, no sense of humour, racist, over-worked, no time for fun and that's just 'experience'...imagine if you include all the random facts you find in wikipedia about dogeating and christian fanatics. Good luck tho.
But the convenience is definitely there in South Korea vis a vis Japan. It's pretty remarkable to go from an almost cashless country to a country that is still heavily reliant on cash... and fax machines. Japan is truly unique in this regard. And people still ride their bikes on the sidewalks in Japan, you won't see that much in Korea, actually. Some things in Korea are very progressive, people are much more free to let their emotions loose, and yet things are still rather civilized. Of course Korea has many down-sides too, but I don't think you can really paint Korea as an inferior Japan when the two countries are much more different than they are alike.

Besides, there are lots of green spaces in Korea that are better than many places in Japan, with many kid-friendly parks all around the metro area. Instead of just blanket hating on Korea, why don't you try to learn a bit more next time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elj0czuMCuE

Some suggestions of mine would be:

Gyeongju

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S4RMS1D2oE

And for people who make out SK as some hellish place, there are enough foreigners in the country these days to tell you that's not really the case. It's not a perfect utopia, but it's definitely not the worst.

Last edited by Paixetluv; 12-01-2022 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia