Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:18 AM

128 posts, read 298,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Although I think there are races, after a fashion, the fact we recognize someone is of a race is not that great of an argument.

I saw a woman from the Solomon Islands once and I might have deemed her "black", as in African American, if I did not know her story beforehand. We can see physical appearances and then classify those based on what we've been taught are "the races" but that might lead to misleading or false conclusions.

Still I think there probably are "races" in a sense because we've observed that certain genetic conditions are more common in some groups and certain allergies are more common in some groups. Granted deeming those matters "races" would cause us some confusion as we still tend to gravitate toward physical appearance. Going by their differences on genetic ailments the Amish, for example, could quite possibly be termed "a race." The Bushman are certainly a separate race from the Bantus going by this.
I see it as a bit like the seasons. Classification of seasons is a man-made idea, but we are classifying something that does exist in nature and is fairly obvious for people to see. Of course the seasons vary a little bit from place to place, and December 1st could be considered to be either winter or fall (for an example). Likewise with race, biracial people are often considered to be one race instead of the other even though it's not really accurate, and there is confusion about certain groups that live in between Europe and Asian, etc. Plenty of our ideas about race are just "socially constructed" (to use a buzz words that professors like), but race itself exists in reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,467 times
Ok, A real Central Asian is in the building. I will explain why some central asians are white, and some are asian looking. Contrary to many peoples' opinion in this thread the "whiteness" did not come from Russians, or Ukranians(although there were interracial marriages in 70's and early 80's they subsided by the middle 80's as many central asians were starting to get more nationalistic.). The whiteness in Central Asia is much more ancient. See Central Asia was at first inhabited by Europoid people known as Scythians. Scythians lived in a vast land which included: Central Asia, Caucasus, and Southern Asia. At about 1st century A.D. Asiatic Turks started moving into the area and conquering the land, thus mixing with the native Europoid peoples(Sounds weird when the native is Europoid, and when colonizing force is Asiatic, heh?) So at first they looked like real 50/50 white and asian mixes, however things changed with Genghis Khan's conquest, first more Asiatic blood was mixed into the gene pool from Mongolians, and due to Genghis Khan opening the Silk Road more Middle Eastern blood flowed. So that's how it happened, as for me I living in NY I was always mistaken for a Hispanic, and I'll tell you that the majority of Central Asia looks hispanic( By hispanic I also mean like Central American Hispanic like Mexican, not like Cuban or DOminican because we have no african ancestry) as for regions in Kazakhstan I can even tell in which region Kazakhs look asian, white, or mixed etc.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:44 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,217,839 times
They're considered "Caucasians", not white. White is a subgroup of Caucasians.

Caucasians are classified as such given similar skull shape. However, externally, there are vast differences between someone from Northern Africa, a northern Indian, and someone from Denmark. This is because there is extensive genetic difference, enough to make extensive phenotypic difference.

The U.S. census mistakenly uses "white" when they mean Caucasian. If you want to break down semite and Indo-Aryan caucasians, then they should have their separate designation. It is deceiving to claim them to be "white", when they aren't truly white, which designates a person originating from or descending from Europe in whole, or overwhelming majority.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:55 PM

263 posts, read 567,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanburen81 View Post
I see it as a bit like the seasons. Classification of seasons is a man-made idea, but we are classifying something that does exist in nature and is fairly obvious for people to see. Of course the seasons vary a little bit from place to place, and December 1st could be considered to be either winter or fall (for an example). Likewise with race, biracial people are often considered to be one race instead of the other even though it's not really accurate, and there is confusion about certain groups that live in between Europe and Asian, etc. Plenty of our ideas about race are just "socially constructed" (to use a buzz words that professors like), but race itself exists in reality.
Race is a man-made method of classification, or a 'social construct', to use the contemporary buzzword. However, in my opinion, that does not diminish the usefulness of the distinction.

Take different breeds of dogs as an example. The concept of different breeds of dogs is a human creation. A group of dogs at a park do not decide that one dog is a German Shepherd, while a second dog is a Maltese, and a third dog is a Poodle, and so on. However, would it not be excessively PC to deny the usefulness of the concept to classify and describe different breeds of dogs? This simple example can be extended beyond dogs to all life on earth.

It should be noted that there are physical differences between races ranging from the obvious skin tone to amount of body hair, skeletal differences, and even levels of ear wax production. A forensic scientist can examine a 4,000 year old skeleton and identify the sex, age, and race of the individual. Does that not further imbue some utility to this method of classification known as race?

While I am not some racist I am also not very enamored with political correctness. I feel that many educational environments in the U.S. serve to indoctrinate students with a particular viewpoint rather than teach critical thinking. All in all I think race can be viewed as useful and not have any hateful connotation attached.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:42 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post

Central Asians (Uzbekistanis, Kazakhstanis, Tajikistanis, Turkmenistanis, Kyrgyzstanis) are considered White in the US Census?
I've always thought they counted as Asians.
I think the U.S. census needs a racial category to include Middle Easterners(In Asia), and Central/South Asians. Whiteness seems to be spanned to Far east and to far south into Africa. I think its foolish for the U.S. Census to lump all of these countries from various continents and label them all as white.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:23 PM

15 posts, read 32,466 times
No.
Many of them are dark skin.
They're Asian, but Arabs are White.
Central Asians are Asian, because aren't they dark skinned? Arabs are white, because aren't they descended from some Europeans?
I am mostly Tatar and Korean by blood. Arabs are white, Central Asians are Asian, North Africans are white, and Middle Easterners are Middle Eastern.
I don't think this is important. Please excuse me though, I am, ethnically, Tatar and Korean. No, I'm not trying to sound like Stalin.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:24 PM

Didn't I say no?
Central ASIANS are Asian. Look at the map they are bordering China and India for God's sake! Western Kazakhstan I'd consider Caucasian. This is because Western Kazakhstan is the only exception; they are white and border Russia.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:27 PM

White: the original peoples of Europe and Arabs from the Middle East and North Africa and Kazakhs from Western Kazakhstan. The original peoples of North Africa are also white.
Asian: the original peoples of Central Asia [Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan; Kyrgyzstan], South Asia [India; Bangladesh; Armenia; Azerbaijan], and East Asia.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:30 PM

StarsAndStripesForever, I no think so! Please don't think I'm obsessed with this stupid subject, because now I'm not.
I am just saying what I know they are. Would you say petite means skinny? No! Petite means short. Not solely thin, because petite means SHORT, but if they're short, they have to be thin as well as small. You can't be fat and petite. Someone who is small and skinny is petite; someone who is small and fat is short and fat. Stocky means fat, no matter how tall they are.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:32 PM

383 posts, read 733,333 times
If the Klan took the rule that 'one drop' of black blood makes a white person black, then do the Black Panthers think one drop of 'white' blood makes people whiteys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia