Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 02:48 AM

284 posts, read 332,400 times

Advertisements

I'm sure you know the US has lied before to demonise others for war consent and runs covert influence operations around the world, just as I'm sure China has its own equivalent, no doubt during the Mao period LOL and also since. It's natural human behaviour and everyone has some part. Although it seems the Chinese side isn't nearly as good with its propaganda as the US, probalbly cause China was a closed off society before, and also because the US dominates global media.

So congrats US, you're the no.1 king of propaganda and China is most likely guilty too, but it's dead last in this 2 man race

Other than that I'm not playing the blame game or whose side's propaganda you believe I've got no time for that. It's the same talking points brought up repeatedly and they're constantly disputed.

These threads are nothing other than one side brings up his points, the other brings up theirs, and they're both out to prove why they're absolutely right and the other is absolutely wrong, truth be damned. A beeline straight to conflict.

I'm only saying I know everyone's consensus no matter their allegiance is we don't want war so we should let our talk and actions reflect that. I'm sure you agree.

Last edited by ciTydude123; 07-27-2023 at 04:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2023, 03:34 AM

Makes me realise the Taiwan status quo is actually a compromise between the interests of both sides. There's no doubt the PRC's ideal is for full control over Taiwan. But others like the US wanted the ROC to survive, so it was decided that others would aknowledge the PRC's position, but in return the ROC gets to survive.

Makes me wonder what would happen if the switch of history flipped and it was the ROC who won the civil war in 1949, and the PRC fled to Taiwan. The ROC would no doubt want to finish the business in Taiwan, but the question is would the US allow that to happen unlike how it didn't allow the PRC? (iirc through several actions that made it disadvantages or difficult PRC to do so)

Since the PRC was true communism at the time and the US's stance on communism, that suggests the answer. But I'm talking about this purely from a historical context without relation to today.

Old 07-27-2023, 07:00 AM

844 posts, read 425,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciTydude123 View Post
The base line we all agree on is that we don't want war no matter who provokes or starts it.
The question is will China start a war by invading Taiwan? If so, will the U.S. sends her sons & daughters to defend Taiwan? SHOULD the U.S. defend Taiwan?

Old 07-27-2023, 07:29 AM

I don't have an answer to that. I think a basic dynamic is that economic realities will naturally pull Taiwan closer to China, unless there are external, or ideological factors.

A basic persuasion principle is if you want a war, then you make the other side sound like an aggressor.

There's talk about Taiwan war, Taiwan war everywhere on the media that it's obviously a topic they want to throw on everyone's minds.

How much of what's being fed to people's minds is true or not, I don't have time or the effort to evaluate it. But whether it's 1990, 2003 or 2011, to me all this talk seems to ring a bell, but people seem happy to forget.

Whatever it is, I hope it's not an effort to massage war hype into people's minds.

Call me a pacifist but I have no way of knowing what's really up with the world, behind the scenes.

And for the people who do take a stance, I hope they find time to evaluate the sources or claims being fed to them, and digest viewpoints on all sides, before they decide. Rather than being led up an echo chamber that is the internet, and increasingly mainstream media.

Last edited by ciTydude123; 07-27-2023 at 07:53 AM..

Old 07-27-2023, 07:40 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,373,040 times
Will the U.S. get into a WAR with China because of Taiwan?

No, or at least, not a "hot" (shooting) war, because all the participants have too much to lose.

Mainland China may continue her pursuit of global economic hegemony, but this will simply diminish over time, just as it did for the British Empire. (or the Roman Empire, for that matter,)

Old 07-27-2023, 09:43 AM

726 posts, read 308,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Will the U.S. get into a WAR with China because of Taiwan?

No, or at least, not a "hot" (shooting) war, because all the participants have too much to lose.

Mainland China may continue her pursuit of global economic hegemony, but this will simply diminish over time, just as it did for the British Empire. (or the Roman Empire, for that matter,)
I tend to agree. Besides China is so many years away of even being able to launch a successful invasion that it's not even worth worrying about. Funny that some may think this is imminent, they have no concept of what it takes to plan and prepare for this. We, everyone, will know 6 months at least ahead of time if PRC will invade from troop and naval movements and other indicators, most likely it will be preceded by some serious escalation like an embargo or something. It won't be a surprise.

But for now, another thing that the average Joe doesn't realize is the amount of trade that occurs between Western companies, specifically the US, and PRC. The US has hundreds of factories in China, billions of dollars in assets, and tens of thousands of expats that live and work there. Perhaps hundreds of thousands of business travelers (like me) travel regularly to China for work purposes. PRC citizens are employees of US companies. Likewise as well with Chinese nationals and companies working in the US. Such is the nature of multinational business.

Old 07-27-2023, 01:17 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,086,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wadd View Post
I tend to agree. Besides China is so many years away of even being able to launch a successful invasion that it's not even worth worrying about. Funny that some may think this is imminent, they have no concept of what it takes to plan and prepare for this. We, everyone, will know 6 months at least ahead of time if PRC will invade from troop and naval movements and other indicators, most likely it will be preceded by some serious escalation like an embargo or something. It won't be a surprise.
The same was true for the invasion of Ukraine. We could see the buildup a year before and the USA was warning about the war a half year before.

We would see a similar buildup in China if they intend to invade, so you are correct that it won't be a surprise. However, a year won't be enough to prepare for an invasion, and there is no guarantee that it is many years away as the CCP doesn't act rationally. If they acted rationally, then they wouldn't have insisted to keep zero covid at huge economic costs and then make a sudden 180 when it went out of control.

Old 07-27-2023, 02:23 PM

8,519 posts, read 6,943,162 times
A continuing war of words. And the leadership is well aware of what’s going on in the Ukraine. And are we talking about an amphibious assault? Nothing like that has been undertaken since the Normandy landings in WWII.

Old 07-27-2023, 03:06 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,086,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
A continuing war of words. And the leadership is well aware of what’s going on in the Ukraine. And are we talking about an amphibious assault? Nothing like that has been undertaken since the Normandy landings in WWII.
If the USA doesn't stop China, then I think China will surround the island and bomb the military and then the infrastructure. Taiwan might give up at this point, but if not then it will be much easier to organize an amphibious assault.

If the USA does get involved, then it will be a totally different story, as the USA can protect the east side of Taiwan.

Old 07-27-2023, 03:36 PM

786 posts, read 516,848 times
I think China wants to rule the world, no matter how long it takes or how many casualties it costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia