Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 11:06 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,160,922 times

Advertisements

Gonna either fly out of Guangzhou (CAN) or Shenzhen (SZX) and from a flight perspective it really doesn't matter which. Sooo, which city/airport do you recommend? Bearing in mind the following factors:

-Would be interested in staying for a night or two and checking out the city before flying out.
-Would be a family of 4 with two young kids.
-None of us has ever really been to either city (ok I have traveled through Shenzhen before)

Based on my assumptions, the choice right now would be between spending 1-2 nights in Guangzhou before flying out of CAN, spending 1 night in Shenzhen before flying out of SZX, or just coming straight from HK the day of to fly out of SZX. I am leaning towards CAN cause I'm more interested in seeing it and forming a basic impression, however if there is a compelling reason to visit SZX then we could certainly go that route (Jake did suggest it to me as a place to live) And no knowledge of which airport is easier to get to and easier to fly out of, if there's much of a difference at all.

One other factor to perhaps consider is the risk of missing the flight if there's any issue at the border crossing. So coming from HK to SZX for a sameday flight, or even a next day flight. Whereas with CAN we would probably be in Zhongshan for at least several days prior to then spending a couple days in Guangzhou so certainly little to no risk of immigration causing us to miss the flight. Although I have entered PRC probably 7 or 8 times and am on my 4th VISA, and have never once had any hiccups obtaining VISAs or crossing the border, but still you never know, right?

Thanks in advance to those with any insights into the cities and airports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 02:11 AM

510 posts, read 609,907 times
A lot of people from HK like to visit Shenzhen these days because it's got a lot of "new". New shopping malls, new buildings, a new big climbing gym, new restaurants, etc. As a tourist though, I don't think there is much very exciting or unique to see or do there.

Guangzhou has more history, more uniqueness, and a bit more to do as a tourist.

Won't you need China visas for you and your entire family? Seems like a lot of money and hassle for only 1-2 night layover-style visit.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:26 AM

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like CAN is better for visiting the city. Yeah we all have 10-year visas already.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:57 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
The greatest collection of Guangzhou China footage for your viewing pleasure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7581eYpo-UM&t=1981s

Old 03-17-2019, 05:19 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
I live in both cities and would generally say that GZ is the more interesting option. It's the seat of Cantonese culture and goes back a couple thousand years. The Guangdong Museum is pretty cool, well worth a visit. There are historical districts that have retained alot of their character. Admittedly the city is more polluted than SZ and some districts are quite dirty and run down but it's still an interesting place to see. The metro is much faster than in SZ, but the taxis are infamously crooked when it comes to foreigners and will try everything in their power to rip you off.

SZ is newer, less polluted, and cleaner but tbh, less "fun" for a visiting family imho. Aside from SeaWorld in Shekou and a few shopping centers, for the average tourist there isn't too much to see that's unique to Shenzhen. The big tech malls that display electronics at what are bargain-basement prices compared to the US are cool but most people can't sirens a whole day there.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:07 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,344 times
In terms of checking out places to live, Guangzhou Tianhe district is THE best place to live. Neighborhoods around East train station and the Stadium Center ( Tiyu Zhongxin) are great, as is ZhiJiang New Town and also the very upscale Canton Place.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:31 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
In terms of checking out places to live, Guangzhou Tianhe district is THE best place to live. Neighborhoods around East train station and the Stadium Center ( Tiyu Zhongxin) are great, as is ZhiJiang New Town and also the very upscale Canton Place.
Definitely. Tianhe district is where most of "the action" is and where I live and have my business.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I live in both cities and would generally say that GZ is the more interesting option. It's the seat of Cantonese culture and goes back a couple thousand years. The Guangdong Museum is pretty cool, well worth a visit. There are historical districts that have retained alot of their character. Admittedly the city is more polluted than SZ and some districts are quite dirty and run down but it's still an interesting place to see. The metro is much faster than in SZ, but the taxis are infamously crooked when it comes to foreigners and will try everything in their power to rip you off.

SZ is newer, less polluted, and cleaner but tbh, less "fun" for a visiting family imho. Aside from SeaWorld in Shekou and a few shopping centers, for the average tourist there isn't too much to see that's unique to Shenzhen. The big tech malls that display electronics at what are bargain-basement prices compared to the US are cool but most people can't sirens a whole day there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Thanks for the replies! I went ahead and booked the CAN flight. Would Didi be a good way to get to the airport? Considering the strollers, car seats, and luggage I probably prefer that to the metro.

Jake, you are the second person to tell me about Tianhe around the East station. I see Park Hyatt and Grand Hyatt are labeled in "Zhujiang New Town" I am guessing that's the same area you are talking about. Sweet...I tend to favor Hyatt although I'll do more research later as I'll go a different route if it offers significantly better value.

Anyway, what makes it the best place to live?

Old 03-17-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Definitely. Tianhe district is where most of "the action" is and where I live and have my business.
ha, I guess the third person to agree on this.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:40 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,769,635 times
I don't really like Shenzhen. I find it too pretentious. Guangzhou has hundreds of years of history and the charm that goes with it, Shenzhen does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia