Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2008, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,357 times

Advertisements

I have now lived in Taiwan for two years. Here is a great opportunity for any teachers who are having a difficult time finding jobs in the USA. It certainly will not hurt your resume to have a couple years of teaching experience in another country, especially a country in which Madarin Chinese is the native language. This is also a great opportunity to learn another language. Taiwan is in many ways more modern than many areas in the USA. The people are the most friendly and helpful that I have experienced in many travels. Age is no issue here, doesn't matter whether you are beginning or have many years of teaching experience you are treated with much respect, maybe even more if you are older.

Even though the pay is perhaps not what you would make in the USA, I think it is more than adequate. The beginning salary is about $2,200US per month. My total expense for accomodations, i.e. rent, utilities, cable, internet, is $320 per month in a 3 room, security building, fully furnished apartment. Your employer pays the majority of your medical insurance (by the way much better than in the USA). Your employer also pays for your airfare to Taiwan at the beginning of the contract and return trip at end of contract term (12 months, 12th month is actually a bonus). Your employer makes arrangements for your visa and work permit. If you want to teach in the public school system you are required to have a US state government issued teaching certificate. One great advantage to teaching in Taiwan is that elementary school teachers pay no income tax on their salaries.

The jobs vary, but the best positions are with the public school system. The teaching load is around 24, 40 minute classes, per week. Hours required for the work is 40 hours per week which gives you plenty of preparation time. All holidays are off including about three weeks winter vacation in January and about six weeks in the summer. In every class you have a co-teacher, Taiwanese professional teacher who is bi-lingual (Chinese and English). Therefore, you need not know any Chinese to start teaching here. Average classes are about 30 students. Almost all discipline problems, which are few, are handled by the co-teachers. You will not find more motivated students that you do here in Taiwan.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-30-2008 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: soliciting not permitted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia