Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Singapore, Hong Kong, or Shanghai?
Singapore 12 21.43%
Hong Kong 33 58.93%
Shanghai 11 19.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:08 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times

Advertisements

Which would you rather spend a summer in? Any reasons behind your choices will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 10:30 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Singapore easily, its a far more livable and easy to get around than the other two. The vast majority of the population speak english, and is no where near as polluted as Shanghi or Hong Kong.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:03 AM

339 posts, read 1,169,107 times
I usually like to get the heck out of HK in summer because of the weather. I hate the summer here, it's horrendously hot and humid and there are typhoons of course (which are more of an annoyance than a danger). That said, Singapore is hot and humid all year round.

Weather aside, I would choose between HK & Shanghai and forget Singers. Yes, they are polluted but you can cope with that for a few months - it's not a huge deal. Infinitely more interesting than nice-but-dull Singapore. I live in HK and think it's one of the greatest places ever so I'm completely biased, but both are fascinating cities.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:53 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Which would you rather spend a summer in? Any reasons behind your choices will be appreciated!
A Summer? Shanghai. They actually have a winter there that is kinda cold, so a summer there is the way to go.

I think for more long-term stuff, HK or SG is better, but a summer, Shanghai without doubt, as there is an immense energy and change happening, that makes this time a very special time for that city.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:13 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,582,237 times
Spent a summer in Singapore before, it's def. hotter than the other two, but you can actually hit the beaches in Singapore, you would probably disintegrate at the shores of Hong Kong. Although in terms of things to do there's going to be a lot more entertainment and economy in Shianghai and Hong Kong. If your spending a summer just traveling though I would prob do HK/Macau/ShiangHai/Beijing, etc. vs. that of Singapore/Thailand/Indonesia/Malaysia island hopping.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:25 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
I would choose Shanghai because it's the one I haven't been to yet

Old 01-19-2009, 03:22 AM

6 posts, read 31,497 times
I'd choose Hong Kong. Singapore is like a summer all year round. It's freaking HOT in Shanghai in summer... and that scares me! So, I'd rather choose somewhere near the coast.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:17 AM
PTL

19 posts, read 112,347 times
I would choose Shanghai, no question about it. Hongkong is a small island, it is fun but I could not spend more than 2 weeks there. Singapore has too many restrictions to me. Shanghai is different, you have more options there if you ever feel bored -- it is easy to get to the neighboring cities in China.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:20 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
Yeah I'm leaning towards Shanghai here. If I was going to be there longer than a summer I'd probably choose a more English-speaking place like HK or SG. Also, since Shanghai is in the middle of the coast, I can visit both Hong Kong and Beijing if I want. Shanghai also seems to be the cheapest and from what I hear has an energy about it only found in cities that haven't peaked yet but realize their potential.

Dlmui: Does Hong Kong actually have milder summers than Shanghai? It's so much closer to the equator.

RangerDuke08: Great post, I agree. And trust me, I won't be going anywhere near that nasty Chinese water.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:00 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,286,246 times
Depends on objectives.

Sing: if you wish to explore SE Asia and have a comfortable base

SH: if you wish to explore SH, learn Mandarin or try to integrate into the economy

HK: to gain an appreciation for the vibrancy of old Asia; to get lost in the maze of alleys; to indulge in Cantonese food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia