Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 06:40 AM

492 posts, read 2,371,699 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I'm starting this thread for two basic reasons. First, I wanted to post some pictures of my current home, South Korea, for anyone who may be curious as to what the country looks like. My collection is quite limited at the moment (mainly two cities, Seoul and Daejeon), but I hope to add more over the next several months. Second, I need some ideas for places to visit while I'm here. I have some vacation time coming up and then when my contract is finished, I'll have both time and money to do some traveling. So please post some of your pictures of Asia to give me some ideas! So far South Korea is the only country I've visited in Asia.

Part One: Seoul

The guardian of the Changgyeonggung Palace gates.

Inside the palace.

East meets West.

The guardian of the big intersection.

A mandarin orange festival.

The recently restored Cheonggye Stream. It was covered by a highway until about 5 years ago.

Dinner?

I wonder what happens inside here???

Part 2: Daejeon (a fast-growing city of 1.5 million, just 100km south of Seoul)

My street.

City Hall.

Typical Korean building.

Daejeon at night. (Not the greatest picture, but it gives you an idea...)

Old 01-14-2008, 03:18 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
Korea is a nice country. Are you teaching English over there? I hope you're saving up as much $$$ as possible.

Obvious places to check out would be Northern China or Japan.

You could also swing down to Hong Kong or take a tour of Southeast Asia (Singapore/Malaysia/Thailand).

Old 01-14-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Korea is a nice country. Are you teaching English over there? I hope you're saving up as much $$$ as possible.

Obvious places to check out would be Northern China or Japan.

You could also swing down to Hong Kong or take a tour of Southeast Asia (Singapore/Malaysia/Thailand).
Yep I'm teaching here. The great thing about Korea is that you don't need prior training or experience in TESOL, the pay is decent, and the cost of living is quite low. I have been saving so far, but time will tell how much I'll actually be bringing home... It would be great if I could seriously reduce or maybe even pay off my pesky student loans.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:21 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
Yeah definitely try to save up as much as possible. Korea is a nice place to live, and the cost of living is really low for how nice the country is. Personally I really like Korean food. Dolsot bibimbap for under $5 is a steal in my mind

I never taught english, but I have a lot of friends who ended up doing that. They all enjoyed themselves a lot. Just be careful about the booze. A lot of people seem to get caught up in that when they get homesick over there.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 9,440 times
I am actually going to be studying in Daejeon in less than a month! I'll be there for 8 months, going to Pai Chai University on a fullride. I am ECSTATIC! Can you tell me anything cool or "need to know" about it, or South Korea in general?

Old 04-20-2008, 11:14 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Great pictures! I've never been to Korea. I hope you have a chance to get out into the countryside and take and post some pictures from there as I'd be curious to see what the natural environment looks like.

Last edited by kanhawk; 04-20-2008 at 12:24 PM..

Old 05-21-2008, 07:30 AM

I've finally got a bit of time to upload some more pictures from Korea while my kids are taking exams. Enjoy!

Suwon, one of the largest cities in Korea and part of the Seoul Metro Area. This fortress was built in the late 1700s around the old part of the city.

Views from the top of the fortress.

Yeoung-do Island, off the coast of Busan, Korea's 2nd-largest city.

Busan's Haeundae Beach

Old 05-23-2008, 07:56 PM

90 posts, read 283,809 times
Great pictures! Makes me "homesick". I lived in Pusan for 2 years teaching, got married there and spent the first 6 months of married life there. I haven't been back since 2000, though dh and our boys went last year. I miss it - especially the awesome food and the beautiful scenery

Old 05-24-2008, 06:49 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
Great pictures!!!

How long are you staying in Korea? Couldn't imagina moving into an Asian country for a while.

We spent our honeymoon in South-East Asia and visited Bangkok, Hongkong, Singapore and Bali. Bangkok was so beautiful and Hongkong just left me breathless.
Singapore is nice to look at and Bali is just an island. However, I would like to visit Hongkong and Bangkok again with much more time at hand!

Old 05-24-2008, 10:21 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
GREAT photos, Boardmanite! Makes me homesick! Korea is truly a "well-kept secret"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia