Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:21 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,217 times

Advertisements

LOL. Thats alot to remember. Im glad I started this thread so I'll have something to come back to and reference. Ive (jokingly) thought of taking a dry-erase board so that I can draw a picture of something (ex. a toilet, a drink machine, etc) to help with the language barrier. lol but I imagine they'd think I was nuts. ^,^
Hopefully my boyfriend will learn some of this stuff too, and he can remind me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 11:51 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,801 times
If you're in the major cities, you won't have a big problem. I was just there a few months ago and everywhere I went, at least someone there, whether it be a restaurant or any type of business spoke some english, some fluently. like i said, if you take an english-japanese dictionary and get a local map(many are in english too) and can translate a few words, you can communicate the basics for the purpose of getting around and getting what you need etc.

i got lost countless times in the subways alone trying to figure out where i wanted to go, (impatience on my part because all signs are also in ENGLISH and japanese, as well, the attendants speak english) and even random strangers i would ask spoke some english, most but not all. you would be surprised.

but for the sake of learning another culture, it would be best to learn some of their language too if you can.

if you aren't living there, there isn't much to figure out. If you are staying for a long time and cohorting with more local japanese, then all the honorifics and cultural manners would be more important.

i presume you are a tourist and mainly going to shop and sightsee, then most signs are in english and japanese. if they are not, you can find someone who speaks enough english to assist you at any given time.

taking off your shoes is the only thing that is really different, that would be important for you to remember. it's a westernized country so it's not much different in the practical sense as it is anywhere else. everything else can be easily figured out with common sense, for instance, if you are shopping and they don't take credit cards, you know you have to pay in yen etc. Also, besides the currency changers at the airport, you will find them everywhere in the city and they will change your money directly from your account in the states. just find one that has both english and japanese writing on it. you can easily tell this by going up to a terminal and see the choices. they are everywhere.

unless you know japanese people there and are going to be visiting there home etc, you don't need to stress yourself out. it's not that big a deal.

someone mentioned the toilet paper thing, maybe it was that way in the past where there was none but i never ran into that problem. it was like that in most public places in korea but in japan, most places will have toilet paper, hot water and soap. if you want to be sure just in case, bring some wetnaps you can buy at any convenience store that fits in your purse. i found biore wetnaps at one that was purse size that is flushable and you can wipe your hands etc too. convenience stores are everywhere and have plenty of western products too, though the japanese counterpart would be a little less expensive usually. like i said, it's a modern country with every convenience available.

if you were more in the rural areas, you might run into less people who could speak english but that's about it.

they are more culturally reserved though and you won't see a lot of flamboyant attitudes or talk. japanese also tend to be shyer around those they do not know too but MANY are intrigued by someone different and are curious to get to know anyone that seems foreign.

if you want to go somewhere that a lot of expats hang around, it would be roppongi. everyone speaks english there, lots of english-speaking bars. though it's not my thing, it's a party area for foreigners in tokyo.

you never mentioned where in japan you were going.

Last edited by leaana; 01-30-2009 at 12:12 AM..

Old 01-30-2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
If you're in the major cities, you won't have a big problem. I was just there a few months ago and everywhere I went, at least someone there, whether it be a restaurant or any type of business spoke some english, some fluently. like i said, if you take an english-japanese dictionary and get a local map(many are in english too) and can translate a few words, you can communicate the basics for the purpose of getting around and getting what you need etc.

i got lost countless times in the subways alone trying to figure out where i wanted to go, (impatience on my part because all signs are also in ENGLISH and japanese, as well, the attendants speak english) and even random strangers i would ask spoke some english, most but not all. you would be surprised.

but for the sake of learning another culture, it would be best to learn some of their language too if you can.

if you aren't living there, there isn't much to figure out. If you are staying for a long time and cohorting with more local japanese, then all the honorifics and cultural manners would be more important.

i presume you are a tourist and mainly going to shop and sightsee, then most signs are in english and japanese. if they are not, you can find someone who speaks enough english to assist you at any given time.

taking off your shoes is the only thing that is really different, that would be important for you to remember. it's a westernized country so it's not much different in the practical sense as it is anywhere else. everything else can be easily figured out with common sense, for instance, if you are shopping and they don't take credit cards, you know you have to pay in yen etc. Also, besides the currency changers at the airport, you will find them everywhere in the city and they will change your money directly from your account in the states. just find one that has both english and japanese writing on it. you can easily tell this by going up to a terminal and see the choices. they are everywhere.

unless you know japanese people there and are going to be visiting there home etc, you don't need to stress yourself out. it's not that big a deal.

someone mentioned the toilet paper thing, maybe it was that way in the past where there was none but i never ran into that problem. it was like that in most public places in korea but in japan, most places will have toilet paper, hot water and soap. if you want to be sure just in case, bring some wetnaps you can buy at any convenience store that fits in your purse. i found biore wetnaps at one that was purse size that is flushable and you can wipe your hands etc too. convenience stores are everywhere and have plenty of western products too, though the japanese counterpart would be a little less expensive usually. like i said, it's a modern country with every convenience available.

if you were more in the rural areas, you might run into less people who could speak english but that's about it.

they are more culturally reserved though and you won't see a lot of flamboyant attitudes or talk. japanese also tend to be shyer around those they do not know too but MANY are intrigued by someone different and are curious to get to know anyone that seems foreign.

if you want to go somewhere that a lot of expats hang around, it would be roppongi. everyone speaks english there, lots of english-speaking bars. though it's not my thing, it's a party area for foreigners in tokyo.

you never mentioned where in japan you were going.
Thanks! Sorry about that. I'd be going to Yakosuka.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:48 PM

895 posts, read 2,366,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Hi!
My boyfriend was just stationed in Japan, and since I plan on going to see him sometime soon and I know very little about it, I'd like to ask for the Do's and Don'ts for when I make the trip.

What are common mistakes that travelers make when visiting this country?
What's the climate like, and are there any areas/situations to avoid or be wary of?

Any information would be very, very helpful.
In japan we dont tip, also japanese are very polite and find people being too loud or romantic in front of other people is rude. Anyway japan is the safest "developed" country in the world and has a very high human development index (higher than US) so i'm sure you will have a great time. By the way which part of japan?

Do you mean Yokosuka? That is kanagawa..

Old 02-04-2009, 01:55 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
My boyfriend was Navy for 6 years and was stationed over in Japan.....he raves about how awesome tokyo was. Apparently they don't like military over there though so he had to constantly watch out for "no U.S. Military" signs.....sounds stupid to me but, it's their country.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:57 PM

Mine hasnt encountered that yet, thank God.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
My boyfriend was Navy for 6 years and was stationed over in Japan.....he raves about how awesome tokyo was. Apparently they don't like military over there though so he had to constantly watch out for "no U.S. Military" signs.....sounds stupid to me but, it's their country.
WHy does it sound stupid? What if mexico had their military stationed in US? Would you think it's stupid to have "no mexican military" signs in some places? In japan American military rapes young japanese girls very often. And in fact they hardly get prosecuted either, they simply get transfered.

Just search "US army rape japan" and you can see how often it happens.

Quote:
From 1952 to 2004, there have been 200,000 accidents and crimes committed by the U.S. soldiers, which killed 1,076 Japanese civilians.

According to the U.S.-Japan Status of Forces Agreement U.S. personnel have partial extraterritorial right, so in most cases suspects were not arrested. In 1995, the abduction and rape of a 12-year-old Okinawan schoolgirl by two U.S. Marines and one U.S. sailor led to demands for the removal of all U.S. military bases in Japan. Other controversial incidents include helicopter crashes, the Girard incident, and the Michael Brown Okinawa assault incident. In February 2008, a 38-year-old U.S. Marine based on Okinawa was arrested in connection with the reported rape of a 14-year-old Japanese girl
And this is coming from a country with the lowest crime rate in the developed world.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:05 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki-Chan View Post
WHy does it sound stupid? What if mexico had their military stationed in US? Would you think it's stupid to have "no mexican military" signs in some places? In japan American military rapes young japanese girls very often. And in fact they hardly get prosecuted either, they simply get transfered.

Just search "US army rape japan" and you can see how often it happens.

Wow...okay......that was just my opinion......I think it's stupid that people of other countries can come over here and go into whatever bar/club/establishment they choose but, our military can't be in a bar in Japan for dinner or a beer??? Sorry if it offends you, no hard feelings intended I just think that's stupid.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:10 PM

Um you said the sign has "no US military" not "no americans". There is a difference between military occupiers and tourists. If japan had military bases on the US and there were signs that said "no japanese military" especially if the japanese military had commited many rapes on americans and they werent even punished i would completely agree.

Obviously im not saying all american military people are bad but you can see why some japanese establishments have banned american military personel. They dont want any "incidents" to happen if they become drunk, since they wont even be prosecuted. These business have a right to protect their japanese clients.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki-Chan View Post
In japan we dont tip, also japanese are very polite and find people being too loud or romantic in front of other people is rude. Anyway japan is the safest "developed" country in the world and has a very high human development index (higher than US) so i'm sure you will have a great time. By the way which part of japan?

Do you mean Yokosuka? That is kanagawa..
Yes, Yokosuka is where he is. Thank you very much for the information. He's mentioned to me about the tipping and the manners, and has said its going to be difficult to come back home because its so much different there ( and he likes it )

I can understand why alot of citizens of Japan wouldnt want our Sailors there. Its a difference in behavior and culture....and there are many of our boys that are disrespectful idiots.

I know there will be one instance where I might be considered rude...and thats in the airport when I first see him after a year apart that I'll probably run and hug him for a long, long time.

Thanks again for all the information. It and anything else you can tell me is very much appreciated.

Oh, and what foods should I try ? Any favorites?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia