Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 02:20 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki-Chan View Post
Um you said the sign has "no US military" not "no americans". There is a difference between military occupiers and tourists. If japan had military bases on the US and there were signs that said "no japanese military" especially if the japanese military had commited many rapes on americans and they werent even punished i would completely agree.

Obviously im not saying all american military people are bad but you can see why some japanese establishments have banned american military personel. They dont want any "incidents" to happen if they become drunk, since they wont even be prosecuted. These business have a right to protect their japanese clients.
Not some, most. And no, I can't see why, it's stupid to me. How many illigals perform illigal acts (besides actually being here ) on innocent american citiczens? Could you imagine the backlash we would get if we put up "no mexicans" signs or "no japanese" signs??? OMG it would be like WW3.......military or not, who cares.....it's all the same....in civilian clothse they are kicked out too....sorry, but it's stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 02:22 PM

895 posts, read 2,366,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Yes, Yokosuka is where he is. Thank you very much for the information. He's mentioned to me about the tipping and the manners, and has said its going to be difficult to come back home because its so much different there ( and he likes it )

I can understand why alot of citizens of Japan wouldnt want our Sailors there. Its a difference in behavior and culture....and there are many of our boys that are disrespectful idiots.

I know there will be one instance where I might be considered rude...and thats in the airport when I first see him after a year apart that I'll probably run and hug him for a long, long time.

Thanks again for all the information. It and anything else you can tell me is very much appreciated.
In airport is ok! And it is just some military feelings where japanese are negative towards american. But keep in mind japanese have a favoruable view of americans. According to the last study i read even more than the UK does. So that basically means japanese are more pro-american than the british. But when it comes to military bases many japanese feel betrayed that "our friend" can allow some of it's military to cause crimes and to get away unpunished! That is a slap to our face. So yes most japanese are against military personel. But most don't care, you will face anti american or anti military people in mostly the regions there is an american military base.

Anyway most japanese like america and right now i am studying in florida, and maybe ill move to north carolina or north georgia some day.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Not some, most. And no, I can't see why, it's stupid to me. How many illigals perform illigal acts (besides actually being here ) on innocent american citiczens? Could you imagine the backlash we would get if we put up "no mexicans" signs or "no japanese" signs??? OMG it would be like WW3.......military or not, who cares.....it's all the same....in civilian clothse they are kicked out too....sorry, but it's stupid.
It's not stupid, one is military occupiers the other are civilians. Military personel can rape a japanese girl and get away scott-free, so of course many places ban it. Not stupid at all. We arent talking about banning american tourists, we are talking about banning foreign military ocupiers. THis is completely unrelated. And i'm not american, so i see nothing wrong with putting a "no illegal sign". Many mexicans are legal so putting a "no mexican sign" is very stupid, and how many illegal japanese are there? Illegal doesnt= mexican, there IS A difference between "no mexican" and "no illegals".

Japanese net migration to the US aproximately 0, with almost the same amount of americans moving to japan. Once again we are talking about foreign military personel who can cause crimes and are occupying us that *some* places are banning not civilian tourists.

And most? Excuse me i am from japan and you honestly are telling me most places in tokyo have no US military signs? Are you kidding me?

Old 02-04-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
It's not stupid, one is military occupiers the other are civilians. Military personel can rape a japanese girl and get away scott-free, so of course many places ban it. Not stupid at all. We arent talking about banning american tourists, we are talking about banning foreign military ocupiers. THis is completely unrelated. And i'm not american, so i see nothing wrong with putting a "no illegal sign". Many mexicans are legal so putting a "no mexican sign" is very stupid, and how many illegal japanese are there? Illegal doesnt= mexican, there IS A difference between "no mexican" and "no illegals".

Japanese net migration to the US aproximately 0, with almost the same amount of americans moving to japan. Once again we are talking about foreign military personel who can cause crimes and are occupying us that *some* places are banning not civilian tourists.

And most? Excuse me i am from japan and you honestly are telling me most places in tokyo have no US military signs? Are you kidding me?
OMG, alright, look.....You are seriously taking my opinion and trying to disprove it.....not going to happen first of all. Second of all, that's the impression that's obviously been given so there must be something to it. Yes, the signs say "no military" however, you think our guys go in there in uniform? Regardless of what they wear they are thrown out. I honestly have nothing against Japan...it's a great country and maybe i'll go back one day....who knows. Smile it's good for ya'

Old 02-04-2009, 02:35 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
Quote:
In airport is ok! And it is just some military feelings where japanese are negative towards american. But keep in mind japanese have a favoruable view of americans. According to the last study i read even more than the UK does. So that basically means japanese are more pro-american than the british. But when it comes to military bases many japanese feel betrayed that "our friend" can allow some of it's military to cause crimes and to get away unpunished! That is a slap to our face. So yes most japanese are against military personel. But most don't care, you will face anti american or anti military people in mostly the regions there is an american military base.

Anyway most japanese like america and right now i am studying in florida, and maybe ill move to north carolina or north georgia some day.
Im glad to hear about the airport part, because rude or not I dont think I could control hugging him then.
How difficult would it be for an American to learn a bit of your language? I'd like to try,since I believe that if Im visiting a country I should at least attempt their language and observe their customs, but Im afraid I'll pronounce something wrong and offend someone when speaking it.
If you decide North Carolina, just let me know and maybe I can help answer some of your questions. I was born there, and alot of my family still lives there.
To my knowledge, my boyfriend doesnt leave base in his uniform. If he goes out, he dresses as a civilian. Perhaps this is why he hasnt experienced anything like you describe. When I come to see him, we plan on just basically being tourists.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
OMG, alright, look.....You are seriously taking my opinion and trying to disprove it.....not going to happen first of all. Second of all, that's the impression that's obviously been given so there must be something to it. Yes, the signs say "no military" however, you think our guys go in there in uniform? Regardless of what they wear they are thrown out. I honestly have nothing against Japan...it's a great country and maybe i'll go back one day....who knows. Smile it's good for ya'
it's rude for someone who is married to a person who is part of the occupation of my country, which has caused many rapes and murdered to go unpunished that it is "stupid" to not allow american military inside? If i owned a japanese restaurant and lets say every friday the place was packed with american military personel dressed like civilians or not it will scare away all the japanese customers, who have to hear about these same people occasionaly causing crime and getting away with nothing happening to them. I agree with the store owner 100% i would also ban them, i'm sorry but thats the case. If they were pure tourists i wouldn't ban them because if they caused a crime they will get punished by japanese law, military personel not so.

And it also doesnt feel good for japanese to eat in a restaurant or drink next to someone who is occupying their country. And if you keep that attitude that you have about japanese decisions "stupid" maybe you shouldnt visit japan at all. It's our country and these are our rules that we put in place for a reason and we have every right to defend ourselves from people that are "above the law". You should try china or another asian country if you want to be treated special because if youre looking for that in japan it's not going to happen. Actually china might be worse lol..at least japan is friendly towards american even though the you guys don't treat us equally.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:45 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
Quote:
It is possible that some go in their uniforms. That ( to my understanding)depends on the command and their CO's preference. If they are given liberty with the condition that uniforms must be worn, then they must wear those uniforms or lose the liberty.
It would also be easy to ID our boys as sailors because when a group of them get together, its rather obvious what they are, uniform or not. Ive been immersed in Sailors, Marines, and Army men for the past 2 years now. They travel in packs or pairs usually, and have a tendancy to get loud and talk of their jobs, and swear alot.

We are on Japan's turf. Therefore we play by their rules, just as we would expect them to do on our soil. Its embarrassing the stories Ive heard of some of the things our boys have done in establishments such as restaraunts. If some of the things they've done there were done here at home, we'd have an absolute fit. Im glad my Sailor is in a country where he is treated well and safe.

So, to Maki-Chan,for what its worth, I hope he'll accept an apology for the behavior of some of my countrymen towards his own.

Last edited by Colddiamond102; 02-04-2009 at 02:54 PM..

Old 02-04-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Im glad to hear about the airport part, because rude or not I dont think I could control hugging him then.
How difficult would it be for an American to learn a bit of your language? I'd like to try,since I believe that if Im visiting a country I should at least attempt their language and observe their customs, but Im afraid I'll pronounce something wrong and offend someone when speaking it.
If you decide North Carolina, just let me know and maybe I can help answer some of your questions. I was born there, and alot of my family still lives there.
To my knowledge, my boyfriend doesnt leave base in his uniform. If he goes out, he dresses as a civilian. Perhaps this is why he hasnt experienced anything like you describe. When I come to see him, we plan on just basically being tourists.
Well i haven't seen what lola is talking about either, especially in tokyo?!?!? Tokyo is definately the most tourist friendly place and if they are dressed in civilian clothes there should be 0 problem, and ive lived all my life in japan not just some years and ive never seen that happen. Maybe if they were in military uniform.
Quote:
They travel in packs or pairs usually, and have a tendancy to get loud and talk of their jobs, and swear alot.
Yes this is also a big problem for the local japanese who are not used to this so the stores dont want to lose their japanese customers so unfortunately some of them ban them.

Japanese is very hard i think for westerners, but some japanese know english but we are too shy to speak it. So even if you ask them a question and they know english they will be too scared to answer, so you dont need to learn japanese completely but i think its really good if you can learn some words! It will show them to lighten up and be more friendly towards you and show them that you respect them.

Here are some phrases that can help you...

Old 02-04-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
it's rude for someone who is married to a person who is part of the occupation of my country, which has caused many rapes and murdered to go unpunished that it is "stupid" to not allow american military inside? If i owned a japanese restaurant and lets say every friday the place was packed with american military personel dressed like civilians or not it will scare away all the japanese customers, who have to hear about these same people occasionaly causing crime and getting away with nothing happening to them. I agree with the store owner 100% i would also ban them, i'm sorry but thats the case. If they were pure tourists i wouldn't ban them because if they caused a crime they will get punished by japanese law, military personel not so.

And it also doesnt feel good for japanese to eat in a restaurant or drink next to someone who is occupying their country. And if you keep that attitude that you have about japanese decisions "stupid" maybe you shouldnt visit japan at all. It's our country and these are our rules that we put in place for a reason and we have every right to defend ourselves from people that are "above the law". You should try china or another asian country if you want to be treated special because if youre looking for that in japan it's not going to happen. Actually china might be worse lol..at least japan is friendly towards american even though the you guys don't treat us equally.

yet, you live in our country???

you totally just proved my point .

i'm so done....

Old 02-04-2009, 02:50 PM

edit..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia