Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:27 AM

418 posts, read 1,280,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
This I know, I'm in Roppongi quite a bit for my business...
It may be easyyyyyy....but it costs moneyyyyyy.
But with all the bankers gone, this guy might stand a chance.

Its really quite sad to watch the punters in R6 hunting for the girl du jour....
But picking up girls is just as easy in America and the advantage is that you speak the same language.

And still my point is the reality is usually different from the fantasy in ones mind....moving to Japan for girls is about the stupidest thing. Visiting?....well thats different.
I have lived here for 3 years and I have seen many come and go....quite the poorer for it.

oh yeah if thats the main goal then its completely retarded....

Old 03-06-2009, 07:51 AM

418 posts, read 1,280,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
The US has been ultra-patriotic way before 9/11. Perhaps you are from a particular area, but people in the US have long thought everything in our country is the best. Polls have shown this. The US is pretty consistently patriotic. There was a spike after 9/11, but arguments over flag-burning and such have been going on longer than that. This shows a constancy from 1999- before 9/11. I'm sure there are others if you bother to find them.

Pew Research Center: Who Flies the Flag? Not Always Who You Might Think
Flag burning issues is different. I'm not saying the US isn't patriotic, but before 9/11 you didn't see flags everywhere and USA all over the place except maybe during the Olympics.

I considered Canada MUCH more patriotic then the US until after 9/11.

I consider myself personally very patriotic... as in I believe in what the US should and could be, and think we have lost our way for a long time. I don't own a US flag, i'm atheist there is no religious wackness coming into my views, I don't wear a lapel pin, I don't sing national anthems. I don't think the US is superior to other countries, but I think we have in the past done a lot of things right, and obviously there is no doubt in our econonomical, political, and military power.

That said I think a lot of countries have it way better then us. Power doesn't = better.

But I will stop myself there before this turns into something political... i'll say this if we were REALLY patriotic most people would understand its not worth giving up our freedoms for the increased protection and monitoring our government does to us... that is about as unpatriotic as you can get. To many fake patriots willing to waive their rights with their flags.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:31 AM

700 posts, read 2,595,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
Roppongi hills is the most foreigner friendly place in all of japan There are alot of expats there, did you meet alot of foreigners there too? I never lived there only visited but i heard there's alot of westerners there.
I try and avoid Roppongi as much as possible...its just heaving with westerners and nigerians..nothing wrong with either group, but they both tend to act like idiots when the sun goes down and the drinks get poured in Roppongi.

Roppongi was fun for the first 6 months that you are here, its nice to have a few signs that you can read and some of the feel of "home" wherever that may be. Then it just becomes booooorrrring!! So many better places to hang out in town. IMHO

Old 03-07-2009, 03:05 AM

1,289 posts, read 722,499 times
Been to Japan: LOVED IT.
it's just......not the USA. I still love it though and hope to return.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:48 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,712 times
Quote:
This I know, I'm in Roppongi quite a bit for my business...
It may be easyyyyyy....but it costs moneyyyyyy.
But with all the bankers gone, this guy might stand a chance.

Its really quite sad to watch the punters in R6 hunting for the girl du jour....
But picking up girls is just as easy in America and the advantage is that you speak the same language.

And still my point is the reality is usually different from the fantasy in ones mind....moving to Japan for girls is about the stupidest thing. Visiting?....well thats different.
I have lived here for 3 years and I have seen many come and go....quite the poorer for it.

Yes, picking up girls does cost money of course. The statement that picking up girls is just as easy in the USA, well, that's just an opinion. I think it is actually tougher in the USA to pick up girls because so many of them are concerned about $$ or getting a guy that's handsome or has a nice car, all that nonsense.

I'm not saying all of them are like that, but they can really trick and deceive you, because I've had that happen to me. Many of them are just not honest IMO. they love to play games with guys, so the best answer is proceed at your own risk when it comes to "Americans." You're better off finding a person from a foreign country like Holland, Spain, Sweden, Norway, those places where the women actually know what it means to be "nice" and down to earth. Perhaps its not a surprise that all those countries have a far lower rate of divorce.

So American women are not necessarily the best option, I don't intend to generalize here, but people just have to be aware of who they want to pursue.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:30 PM

895 posts, read 2,365,600 times
Haha my american friend (guy) is always talking about going to sweden to pick up girls. Supposivly they have the highest rate of "one night stands" in the developed world lol.

Quote:
I try and avoid Roppongi as much as possible...its just heaving with westerners and nigerians..nothing wrong with either group, but they both tend to act like idiots when the sun goes down and the drinks get poured in Roppongi.

Roppongi was fun for the first 6 months that you are here, its nice to have a few signs that you can read and some of the feel of "home" wherever that may be. Then it just becomes booooorrrring!! So many better places to hang out in town. IMHO
Nigerians? Roppongi hills is so different from the rest of japan i guess lol. I'm not an expert on tokyo though, so that's suprising to me.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:43 PM

700 posts, read 2,595,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
Haha my american friend (guy) is always talking about going to sweden to pick up girls. Supposivly they have the highest rate of "one night stands" in the developed world lol.

Nigerians? Roppongi hills is so different from the rest of japan i guess lol. I'm not an expert on tokyo though, so that's suprising to me.
The Nigerians (and I honestly cannot say for sure that is their ethnicity for sure, I have just been told that several times by many long time residents, so perhaps I should just say Africans) are not in "Roppongi Hills" which is the swanky nice new Mori building, they are the doorman and hawkers for every bar, disco, nightclub and hostess club in the rest of Roppongi. They are actually quite tame in perspective to other big city "red light" area doormen and if you show them respect they show you the same....I have dealt with much worse.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:45 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,712 times
Quote:
Dont move here for girls, that would be very stupid.

My question...Why Japan? There are hundreds of countries, why Japan?

Your "Ups" are that of a young mans fantasy, and will most likely disappoint you in reality.
Plus Japan is a very, very difficult place to just...move to.

Happy to lend advise, if you have more tangible reasons.

To answer your down....It is completely different from the US in both great,good and bad ways. depends what things you consider "negotiable" or not.

I love Japan, and will most likely be here quite a while.
Well, that is a very valid point made there. There ARE many other countries in the world and if language is a problem area, I would suggest that the person who started this thread consider the UK or Canada instead. No country is going to be easy to get into, but Japan is a completely different culture and place than the USA. I love Japan and have visited there but there do have to be valid reasons for a person to want to move there. To move to Japan just for the girls sounds very odd to me. Great response!

Old 06-13-2009, 11:43 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Dont move here for girls, that would be very stupid.

My question...Why Japan? There are hundreds of countries, why Japan?

Your "Ups" are that of a young mans fantasy, and will most likely disappoint you in reality.
Plus Japan is a very, very difficult place to just...move to.

Happy to lend advise, if you have more tangible reasons.

To answer your down....It is completely different from the US in both great,good and bad ways. depends what things you consider "negotiable" or not.

I love Japan, and will most likely be here quite a while.
I would hope anyone wanting to move to any country or even live there in a temp situation would read up on culture of the country and how things are.

I don't quite understand some of the kids today. The playstation, the girls, and what i saw in a cartoon was awesome, so Japan is awesome. Wrong.

The understanding Tate Shakai and Wa would be a very small start and if you can find these topics in a book. Buy it, treasure it.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:37 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,599,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post

I don't quite understand some of the kids today. The playstation, the girls, and what i saw in a cartoon was awesome, so Japan is awesome. Wrong.
[sarcasm] Yeah, kids today make waaaaaay more pre-judgements about various nationalities/ethnicities/races than in the past. [/sarcasm]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia