Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:44 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,450,457 times

Advertisements

I travelled through Baku... don't remember travelling from Abkhazia or to Kabadino-Balkaria...

How are things between Azerbaijan and Armenia nowadays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 09:05 PM

236 posts, read 387,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I travelled through Baku... don't remember travelling from Abkhazia or to Kabadino-Balkaria...

How are things between Azerbaijan and Armenia nowadays?
Armenia and Azerbaijan are in state of war since cease-fire in 1994. With major help of the Great Bear Russia Armenia occupied 20% of territories of Azerbaijan including Nagorno-Karabakh region. As a result about 1 million people refugeed from those territories. Now, after many years, only a military budget of Azerbaijan almost equals to Armenia's whole budget. But it's only 1.5% of our expenses (Armenia's population-about 3 million, Azerbaijan's - over 8.5 million). Armenia isolated itself from all regional projects and now is only surviving. Azerbaijan's economical growth is the fastest in the region.
However it doesn't mean that it's unsafe to travel to Azerbaijan. There are no peace makers (and have never been) in the frontline, but there are also no combat operations. So if you'd decide to come here - you are welcome! Need more info - don't hesitate to ask.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:11 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times
I loved Armenia and Russia. But did not feel safe crossing the border so stayed longer in Yerevan.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:06 AM

When flying over Kaspyiskoe Sea, saw many oil rigs. Is there still oil being extracted, and where do you ship it? I think Russia has enough of its own oil from Siberia?

Old 04-08-2009, 12:29 AM

236 posts, read 387,041 times
Have no idea why you loved those countries (Russia and Armenia)?

And yes, we produce oil and gas and export those goods to the international market through Georgia and Turkey. Have you heard about Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan (BTC) or Baku-Supsa pipelines (for oil)? And gas we export to Georgia, Turkey, Greece, Bulgaria. Planning to export to Romania, Austria and other european countries. And we have no strong ties in oil and gas business with Russia. But Russia almost completely owns Armenia's economy.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:22 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Negresco View Post
Have no idea why you loved those countries (Russia and Armenia)?.
I could ask you the same.. why would anyone but Azerbaijanis love Azerbaijan? I had a great time in both Russia and Armenia on holiday. Am I not allowed my own opinion? You asked a question and I answered from my perspective.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Have no idea why you loved those countries (Russia and Armenia)?
minibrings - I think it's a language problem. I think Paul meant that your note was too short for him to understand the reasons behind your note.

And Paul, the way your question is constructed, sounds accusatory for the English ear, or putting down his views, hence the reaction from minibrings. The correct way to put it would be "Can I ask you why you liked Russia and Armenia?" or "I'm afraid I don't understand why you liked Russia and Armenia."

Old 04-08-2009, 01:35 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Hello good people!
I just wonder if anyone of you ever travelled to Azerbaijan? Maybe I'll find my ooooold american friends.
Also, please, comment what do you think or heard of Azerbaijan/Baku.
Thank you all in advance!
I have never been to Azerbaijan, but this is what I know about Azerbaijan.

The capital of Azerbaijan is Baku.

There is a part of the country separate from the mainland and that part is called Naxcivan.

It was once part of USSR and was spelled Azerbaidzhan.

It is located in the Caucasus region on the eastern end of it.

Part of it borders the Caspian Sea.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:37 PM

Paul, what do you do in Baku?

Old 04-08-2009, 01:49 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I have never been to Azerbaijan, but this is what I know about Azerbaijan.

The capital of Azerbaijan is Baku.

There is a part of the country separate from the mainland and that part is called Naxcivan.

It was once part of USSR and was spelled Azerbaidzhan.

It is located in the Caucasus region on the eastern end of it.

Part of it borders the Caspian Sea.
Very well, does your source rhyme with Streekyseedya?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia