Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:10 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,986,719 times

Advertisements

i spent quite a bit of time in israel last december and january (and yes my parents were begging me to buy a ticket to leave early to come back home) and loved it and felt a sense of belonging for the first time ever in my life. anyway, i am thinking about applying to this 10 month program in tel aviv that is a great deal (includes intense hebrew lessons, jewish studies, and history courses, sidetrips, and housing for 2k total) when i am done with my MS. the neighborhood though i dont know much about. i read from a blog on someone in the program that it is a bit of a slum, but that was outdated. the area is called Kiryat Shalom. anyone know much about this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 11:28 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Check out this link. It has links within it that you might find helpful.

Also, a rabbi can refer you to someone who knows about the area.

Projects in Tel-Aviv

Did you address the issue of Israeli military service when you were last there?

You know, of course, that if you are Jewish, you are immediately a citizen of Israel when you enter the country, right?

Enjoy your visit. I would love to see the Hill of the Spring (Tel Aviv) myself someday.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:37 PM

oh so the area is described as having the projects of tel aviv? interesting lol. the website of the program describes it as being a "working class" area. i guess you get what you pay for. i have friends paying double for a 5 month program who are on the beach in tel aviv, but they share a room with someone.

yeah i am thinking about doing the sar el program as well which is basically doing work on the bases in return for housing and food.

while techinically i am a citizen of israel (due to being jewish and my dad's side are mizrahi jews from the middle east), you have to live there for certain amount of time to get dual citizenship (i think...).

i was not a religious person before i went to israel. since i left, i have been somewhat observant and more than just "culturally jewish". while tel aviv is great and probably the most liveable city in israel imo, jerusalem is probably one of the most interesting cities in the world imo, if not the most interesting. i am a fairly well traveled person, and thats my 2 cents cents on it.

i would never pledge aliyah though and move to israel for good. i would have difficulty getting a job in my field there, the cost of living is bad, and rents are pretty high. i just figure i would get to spend some time in a country i feel ties to, and get to take classes and volunteer during this recession out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Check out this link. It has links within it that you might find helpful.

Also, a rabbi can refer you to someone who knows about the area.

Projects in Tel-Aviv

Did you address the issue of Israeli military service when you were last there?

You know, of course, that if you are Jewish, you are immediately a citizen of Israel when you enter the country, right?

Enjoy your visit. I would love to see the Hill of the Spring (Tel Aviv) myself someday.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:33 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

Wrong.
You still have to apply, either by formally making Aliyah or by getting temporary residency which automatically switches to citizenship after a set period of time.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:31 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Wrong.
You still have to apply, either by formally making Aliyah or by getting temporary residency which automatically switches to citizenship after a set period of time.
My two friends who visited family in Israel are children of a Sabra. They were notified of Israeli citizenship when they left the country. I wonder if their case was different because their father was born in Israel?

Ahhhh. I found it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_nationality_law

A child born to an Israeli citizen (including children born outside of Israel as first generation out of Israel) is considered an Israeli citizen[1]. Persons born outside Israel are Israeli citizens, if their father or mother holds Israeli citizenship, acquired either by birth in Israel, according to the Law of Return, by residence, or by naturalization [2]. In other words, the principle of jus sanguinis is limited to only one generation born abroad. Despite this limitation, the descendants of an Israeli national abroad can obtain Israeli citizenship through other methods, such as the Law of Return, if they are eligible.
A child born to an Israeli citizen (including children born outside of Israel as first generation out of Israel) is considered an Israeli citizen[1]. Persons born outside Israel are Israeli citizens, if their father or mother holds Israeli citizenship, acquired either by birth in Israel, according to the Law of Return, by residence, or by naturalization [2]. In other words, the principle of jus sanguinis is limited to only one generation born abroad. Despite this limitation, the descendants of an Israeli national abroad can obtain Israeli citizenship through other methods, such as the Law of Return, if they are eligible.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:19 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
If you are Jewish but not the child of an Israeli citizen (children of citizens are automatically Israeli citizens) then it depends what kind visa you apply for before you become an Israeli citizen. If you come on a temporary resident visa it can be renewed for up to 3 years. Only after 3 years your status would change to an immigrant visa. Someone who is Jewish who comes to Israel on an immigrant visa becomes a citizen 3 months after entering Israel and then would have to worry about military service. Since you are speaking about applying for a 10 month study program I assume you will be either be on a student visa or temporary resident visa. So you wouldn't have to worry about citizenship and military service unless you decided to continue to stay Israel for at least 3 years.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:57 PM

hi. thanks for the info, but i never had concerns about a visa. i just wanted to know if anyone knew much about the area.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:01 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Well neighborhoods in Southern Tel Aviv are considered the poorer ones of the city.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:50 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingLA2010 View Post
i spent quite a bit of time in israel last december and january (and yes my parents were begging me to buy a ticket to leave early to come back home) and loved it and felt a sense of belonging for the first time ever in my life. anyway, i am thinking about applying to this 10 month program in tel aviv that is a great deal (includes intense hebrew lessons, jewish studies, and history courses, sidetrips, and housing for 2k total) when i am done with my MS. the neighborhood though i dont know much about. i read from a blog on someone in the program that it is a bit of a slum, but that was outdated. the area is called Kiryat Shalom. anyone know much about this area?
omg i love israel- i fell i love with with tel-aviv. Can I come with you? lol

Old 07-09-2009, 11:52 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
If you are Jewish but not the child of an Israeli citizen (children of citizens are automatically Israeli citizens) then it depends what kind visa you apply for before you become an Israeli citizen. If you come on a temporary resident visa it can be renewed for up to 3 years. Only after 3 years your status would change to an immigrant visa. Someone who is Jewish who comes to Israel on an immigrant visa becomes a citizen 3 months after entering Israel and then would have to worry about military service. Since you are speaking about applying for a 10 month study program I assume you will be either be on a student visa or temporary resident visa. So you wouldn't have to worry about citizenship and military service unless you decided to continue to stay Israel for at least 3 years.
I could be wrong but i think you don't have to join the military if you are over 23? Thought I heard that from a soldier when i was there. (I would have no interest in ever being part of any army).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia