Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country do you like better?
Japan 123 63.73%
South Korea 70 36.27%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 09:55 PM

919 posts, read 839,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
But both sides (Korean & Japanese) will fight over who invented sushi and who invented kimchi. Ask a Korean who evented sushi and kimchi and they will say Korea did. Ask a Japanese who invented kimchi and sushi and they will say that the Japanese did.
I've never met a Japanese who insists Japanese invented Kimchi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 09:08 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
I've never met a Japanese who insists Japanese invented Kimchi
Same here.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:15 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,123,778 times
Maybe depends on what part of Japan you talk with people about this. When living in Japan, I was in the Yokohama/Tokyo area. I've met plenty of Japanese who say this.

How about Korean's saying that they invented sushi. Have you met any of them that said this? I've met plenty of them that have said this too.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:00 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
Koreans say that they invented everything so it doesn't surprise me at all.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Koreans say that they invented everything so it doesn't surprise me at all.
Yeah, I've heard that too

Well I did a little on-line research and it appears that the kimchi debate really fired up around 1996 between Japan and Korea. Apparently Japan actually started outselling exported kimchi more then Korea. Korea was pissed and claimed that Japanese kimchi is made of "flavorings" and not properly prepared to get the exact taste. Japan claims that they "flavored" it so it would be appealing to Japanese style tastes.

So basically the claim is perhaps by Japanese who want to believe that Japan invented it. Same goes for the sushi debate. Korea wants to believe that they invented sushi.

It's all fusion though in my opinion. If I want sushi, I get it from a real Japanese. If I want kimchi, I get it from a real Korean. I laugh when I'm in America and see a menu with 20 or so different sushi rolls. These places are 99% Korean owned and operated, with the remaining 1% being Chinese or Taiwanese.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:05 AM

I had a few Korean classmates and friends in LA inform me that sushi was indeed Korean... while there is the Korean version of sushi, gimbap, that only really came into being after the Japanese occupation of Korea. Don't tell them that, though.

I *have* heard of some Japanese people believing that KFC, 7-11, and baseball originated in Japan, probably because these things are so ubiquitous at this point that it's just sort of taken for granted.

I remember reading that a number of young koreans believed pizza was a Korean invention, and this was later spoofed by an ad for a Korean pizza chain, with "experts" claiming that pizza dated back centuries in Korea and was appropriated by Italian explorers.

I think a lot of this coincides with the rise in nationalism among young Koreans, and is sort of a misplaced attempt at claiming historical pride during a stretch of time where they were denied this from occupiers, which is something you see across cultures all over the globe (Western academic Afrocentrism, China's sudden "victory" over Japan, etc).

Old 12-22-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
It's all fusion though in my opinion. If I want sushi, I get it from a real Japanese. If I want kimchi, I get it from a real Korean. I laugh when I'm in America and see a menu with 20 or so different sushi rolls. These places are 99% Korean owned and operated, with the remaining 1% being Chinese or Taiwanese.
I can't stand this attitude (no offense); if you really think deeply about it, it's quite bigoted and racist/ethnocentrist at its core. People think this way because they think it makes them seem more cultured and "authentic," but, how do you know that the Japanese guy making your sushi actually knows what he's doing? My wife is Chinese, and I cook Hunanese food way better than she does because she has no aptitude for cooking whatsoever, and, well... I'm a chef who owns a restaurant Anyone with any cooking skill who puts time and effort in can make more or less anything they want. Doesn't matter what color hands are making it, as long as they know what they're doing.

Besides: go to any "ethnic" restaurant in LA, SF, NYC, etc etc... the super-amazing "authentic" bibimbap or tanuki udon or Chongqing shi de mien or _____ you're eating was probably made by a Mexican or Salvadorean guy

Old 12-22-2015, 11:51 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I had a few Korean classmates and friends in LA inform me that sushi was indeed Korean... while there is the Korean version of sushi, gimbap, that only really came into being after the Japanese occupation of Korea. Don't tell them that, though.

I *have* heard of some Japanese people believing that KFC, 7-11, and baseball originated in Japan, probably because these things are so ubiquitous at this point that it's just sort of taken for granted.

I remember reading that a number of young koreans believed pizza was a Korean invention, and this was later spoofed by an ad for a Korean pizza chain, with "experts" claiming that pizza dated back centuries in Korea and was appropriated by Italian explorers.

I think a lot of this coincides with the rise in nationalism among young Koreans, and is sort of a misplaced attempt at claiming historical pride during a stretch of time where they were denied this from occupiers, which is something you see across cultures all over the globe (Western academic Afrocentrism, China's sudden "victory" over Japan, etc).
I've heard stuff like Koreans say that Confucius was Korean. Or Jeremy Lin is Korean. The reality is that Korean media has never said such stuff. It was just some dumb attempts from Chinese and Taiwanese in order to bash Korea.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I've heard stuff like Koreans say that Confucius was Korean. Or Jeremy Lin is Korean. The reality is that Korean media has never said such stuff. It was just some dumb attempts from Chinese and Taiwanese in order to bash Korea.
Yeah, those seem very far fetched... saying Confucious is anything but Chinese is working against any and all history about him. As far as Jeremy Lin goes, well, thats easy... look at where his family immigrated from (there are records), and listen to how he refers to himself - can't think of a reason for him to lie.

I still maintain one way or another that nationalism is the privince of people who lack a sense of self or personal pride. Same goes for excessively dumping on any one particular group.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I can't stand this attitude (no offense); if you really think deeply about it, it's quite bigoted and racist/ethnocentrist at its core. People think this way because they think it makes them seem more cultured and "authentic," but, how do you know that the Japanese guy making your sushi actually knows what he's doing? My wife is Chinese, and I cook Hunanese food way better than she does because she has no aptitude for cooking whatsoever, and, well... I'm a chef who owns a restaurant Anyone with any cooking skill who puts time and effort in can make more or less anything they want. Doesn't matter what color hands are making it, as long as they know what they're doing.

Besides: go to any "ethnic" restaurant in LA, SF, NYC, etc etc... the super-amazing "authentic" bibimbap or tanuki udon or Chongqing shi de mien or _____ you're eating was probably made by a Mexican or Salvadorean guy
It's not bigoted and/or racist. Only if you wish it to be. I do what I do because if I want "real" "authentic" food that has been prepared from ingredients and method of preparation that has not lost anything along the way, I chose to get it from those who know how to do it. I also will not learn a foreign language by someone who's teaching me a language that is not their own native language. Many things are that way with me. And that isn't bigoted and/or racist. And that's why I don't go to McDonalds and/or Taco Bell if I want "real" Mexican food. WTF! Go to Mexico and ask for a burrito or one of those sorry azz "Mexican" things off the McDonald's value menu. They'll point you to the border and tell you get that crap over here.

Nope, when I get ramen for example, I go and talk with the owners and cooks. They speak Japanese I stay and try it out. If not, I get a to go menu and leave. It's very simple to find a spot where the owner, operator, and cook(s) are Japanese. Same thing goes with Korean food. Those are my "go to" spots. And if I'm not eating authentic Japanese and/or Korean (which are my only two main style meals in restaurants), I just cook American food at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia