Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country do you like better?
Japan 123 63.73%
South Korea 70 36.27%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 06:30 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times

Advertisements

Which of these two countries do you like better and why? Which do you like better as far as scenery, activities, culture, cities, etc.? I just got back to Japan from Seoul. Korea certainly is an interesting country with many things to see. The food is really good too (bulgogi and kalbi). Overall, I like Japan better since it is cleaner and the people are a little friendlier, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 07:04 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I'm white American guy.

I lived in South Korea for 8 years, and Japan for almost 2 years.

I definetely prefer JAPAN by a long shot. Mostly because I really like Japanese people a lot, and I think Japan is an incredibly beautiful place.

South Korea has its strong points though. I love Korean food, and I particularly love the, ahmm, Korean BBQ is what people call it in English. I also love the drinking culture of Korea significantly more than the drinking culture of Japan (although Osaka is pretty cool).

Seoul kicks Tokyo's ass as a drinking culture by a long shot. Seoul is also significantly cheaper, so you can really have a lot of fun with a fraction of they money you'd need in Tokyo.

That being said, outside of drinking and eating and spending less money, the CULTURE and PEOPLE of Japan are quite fascinating. I'm still on 'a high' from just being in Japan and having made the transition from Korea. Korean culture exists, but not as interesting as Japanese culture. Japanese people are just so nice as well. Koreans can be brutally straight-forward and honest. I also like those traits, but having lived there for years, it gets a bit tiring hearing very predictable straight-forward honesty.

Both are interesting places though, but I personally prefer Japan, and feel really comfortable living here.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:29 PM

221 posts, read 535,296 times
i wont vote, as i havent been in either.

from reading on the internet/looking at pictures etc soul definitely seems like a place i wanna visit.. but man, you cant beat tokyo! im even planning to learn japanese soon

tiger beer, tell me, which job do you have that lets you work in both south korea and japan? sounds amazing!

Old 07-19-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Rain View Post
tiger beer, tell me, which job do you have that lets you work in both south korea and japan? sounds amazing!
Teaching English...it is high in demand in both countries, but particularly South Korea. Look at www.eslcafe.com, and you'll see tons of job postings.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:58 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,173 times
I like the culture and diversity in Japan. However, I like the food in South Korea a lot more. Overall, I'd choose Japan. People also are very eager to practice their English in Japan I noticed. Great people! (I'm half Korean btw, but I still choose Japan) lol

Old 07-20-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Teaching English...it is high in demand in both countries, but particularly South Korea. Look at www.eslcafe.com, and you'll see tons of job postings.
wow, thats cool. ive always wanted to do something like this i have a question, though!

ive heard that they only hire people from english speaking countries.. is this true? if not, is it a huge disadvantage to be from a non-english speaking country or is the demand so high that youll get a job anyway?

hmm that site is kinda confusing + it seems to only feature china and korea. what if i want to teach in japan?

btw you dont need to have any experience/education as a teacher, do you?

Old 07-20-2009, 08:13 AM

Generally speaking, and speaking more of South Korea, as I know it best...you can ONLY get a work visa to teach English if you have citizenship from one of these 7 countries - US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, UK, Ireland or South Africa. So you probably couldn't LEGALLY get a work visa to teach English. That being said, I have met people teaching ILLEGALLY...they come in on a tourist visa, and teach under-the-table...I haven't met Scandinavians do this, but I have met former East Germans and other generally Eastern Europeans take that kind of risk. They'll often 'pretend' to be from somewhere in one of those 7 countries, and juss pass themselves off as having a strong accent....lol But generally legally, you need to be from one of those.

Japan, it is more GaijinPot

Occassionaly though, I've seen ads for teachers to teach OTHER languages besides English though. Like German or Spanish or another Asian language or whatever. Not very common though.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:24 AM

oh, ok.

weird how they have visa deals with UK and Ireland and not the other countries in the EU..

are you saying its different with japan? cause thats the country in most interested in.. and again, the website is a mess.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Rain View Post
oh, ok.

weird how they have visa deals with UK and Ireland and not the other countries in the EU..

are you saying its different with japan? cause thats the country in most interested in.. and again, the website is a mess.
Mostly because the Korean government demanded native English speakers.

With Japan, I am not sure which 'native countries' they require...PROBABLY the same.

Again though, this is for teaching English...so they hire native english speakers.

Actually at my workplace, there is a German guy teaching German parttime. I'm unsure his story, but he's not teaching English, so he must have some different kind of visa. I also work with a French woman, but she's married to a Japanese guy, so can legally work anywhere here.

Probably as a Norwegian, your best bet is to study in Japan and come in on a student visa...then you could teach parttime for extra income...

Old 07-20-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Mostly because the Korean government demanded native English speakers.

With Japan, I am not sure which 'native countries' they require...PROBABLY the same.

Again though, this is for teaching English...so they hire native english speakers.

Actually at my workplace, there is a German guy teaching German parttime. I'm unsure his story, but he's not teaching English, so he must have some different kind of visa. I also work with a French woman, but she's married to a Japanese guy, so can legally work anywhere here.

Probably as a Norwegian, your best bet is to study in Japan and come in on a student visa...then you could teach parttime for extra income...
i actually do plan to study in japan... but itd be cool to live there on a work visa later, too

i mean, in a few years my english will be pretty much flawless.. especially if i spend more time in the US or UK (and my dads planning to move to the US, so yeah..) i dont think its fair that they prefer some nationalities over others..
everyone should do a test, and if they pass they should be treated just like everyone else, regardless of which country they were born in. everything else is just racist, but then again japan is known to be one of the most racist countries in the entire world.. *sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia