Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite nightlife distric in Tokyo
Roppongi 3 25.00%
Shibuya 3 25.00%
Shinjuku 5 41.67%
Ginza 2 16.67%
Akihabara 1 8.33%
Ebisu 0 0%
Other (specify) 1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 06:31 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times

Advertisements

Which is your favorite nightlife district in Tokyo? Overall, I think it is a tie between Shinjuku, Shibuya, and Roppongi. Shinjuku does not have as many bars/clubs as the other two, but the ones it has are friendly for the most part, although the surrounding Kabukicho area can be a little intimidating. Shinjuku doesn't seem to have as much drama as Roppongi, like drunken fights between military members. In fact I don't see many military people in Shinjuku. It's mostly local Japanese and the foreigners are either English teachers, business people, or tourists. Shibuya is fun too. There are few places in Roppongi that I would go to, but that area is getting a bad rep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 05:39 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
With regards to nightclubs, Roppongi, hands down.

However, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Bangkok just don't stack up in terms of clubs when compared with Los Angeles, New York, London, or Berlin. The problem is that the club scene initially started with expats and has remained a bad (or at least behind-the-times) immitation of western clubbing style without developing it's own theme and feel.

Right now, clubbing in Asia is second-hat to more local forms of nightlife like night markets or KTV, in which the Asians are far superior.

Going to Shanghai or Tokyo and looking for good clubs is like going to Los Angeles and looking for a good Kareyoke place. You're not gonna find it. For real nightlife, do whatever the locals do.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:00 AM

700 posts, read 2,596,351 times
I tend to like Omotesando, Asakasa more...

Roppongi is just silly, and full of punters every night!! It was fun at first, but grew old quickly. If I never go to R6 again...(except Bourbon Street) I will not miss anything.
Shibuya is too young for me...(that even sounds sad as I type it) but The clubs are very amateur in substance in my opinion.
Ginza is way too expensive for what you actually receive.

Most "clubs" to me are not really "clubs", more expensive bars with crappy cocktails and really bad J-Pop...I think I prefer the "Chandelier Bar" most...(thats in Shibuya) or some of the places in the back streets of Omotesando/Harajuku.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:45 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,039 times
Americans going to Roppongi looking to party is such a cliche that I've always avoided it. In fact, one of my Japanese friends, who grew up and still lives in Minato Ward, where Roppongi is located, says that the area has kinda become an embarrassment compared to what it was when she was younger. Roppongi Hills is nicer, but still....

I lived in Shinjuku during my first go around in Japan and really enjoyed it. Really good vibe to it and you usually don't have the kind of yahoos that gravitate to Roppongi there. Kabuki-cho is totally not interesting to me, though, especially since some of the Chinese mob has moved into it (I wonder what the Yakuza, who used to run Kabuki-cho as almost a fiefdom, have done about that---some kind of deal to share proceeds perhaps? I don't know).

Have yet to go to Odaiba. Going to have to check that out sometime. Shibuya isn't my scene, though it's cool in its own way.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:57 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,213 times
i think the bar scene in asia is very, very good though, at least from what i experienced in korea and especially japan. they really have a lot of high-class bars, some very spectacular and beautiful in japan's major cities. most of the times people go there for drinks after work to unwind and meet up etc. very nice. i never liked most bars before since they had too much of a grimy feel like ugly pool halls.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:17 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
i think the bar scene in asia is very, very good though, at least from what i experienced in korea and especially japan. they really have a lot of high-class bars, some very spectacular and beautiful in japan's major cities. most of the times people go there for drinks after work to unwind and meet up etc. very nice. i never liked most bars before since they had too much of a grimy feel like ugly pool halls.
Maybe. I have to admit that my experience leans more toward the less-westernized countries in east asia, rather than Japan and South Korea. I may have let that affect my perception of Japan.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:35 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Maybe. I have to admit that my experience leans more toward the less-westernized countries in east asia, rather than Japan and South Korea. I may have let that affect my perception of Japan.
well, it's westernized in a way but there is plenty of asian vibes and twists infused into just about every aspect of the culture or experience. there are a lot of asian elements as well in decor mixed with it. the bars i like the best are the ones that have a lot of zennish style mixed with high-tech. it goes together very well and the slick city lifestyle. i also like the spas they have, some of them are so natural and beautiful. ambiance makes a big difference and it sure is different there. believe me.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,133 times
A large club of one building was born in front of Machida station!

A large club of one building was born in front of Machida station!
It started in April 2017 only for high school students, and GRAND OPEN on June 9!
Luxury club with jellyfish motif is capacity 1,500 people!
All sound and lighting is the latest equipment entertainment dance club!
【U-18】18:00 – 21:00
【GRAND】20:30 – 05:00
※After the grand opening is the two-part system

[url=http://crage.party/]CRAGE[/url]
[url=http://tokyoclubguide.net/crage/]CRAGE Nightclub Tokyo Event Party Coupon | TOKYO CLUB GUIDE[/url]

Old 07-14-2017, 02:44 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times
Shinjuku

Its got that tiny bar neighborhood thats so cool.

Its in Kabukicho but seems pretty safe to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia