Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:02 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
He started out providing a guide to Bangkok nightlife. As he has gotten older, the posts have begun to encompass broader issues including general life in Thailand. I wouldn't discount the site for its prior reputation.

I don't do nightlife here in Malaysia, but I find the letters that other readers post interesting for the similarities in the male-female relationships.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Just curious, but did you have some kind of difficult personal experience? Or are you just assuming potential problems from the posts on Sticky's website? Sure, there can be problems, and it's a good idea to use common sense and be alert about things, but then that's pretty much true anywhere in the world, isn't it? Sticky does have a pretty good website, and I agree, that he does cover a lot more issues than in the past. IMO, ThaiVisa covers a much wider variety of subjects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 08:29 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,419 times
I've been married to a filipina for more than 20 years now. I met her when I was stationed there. We had always wanted to retire there. We could live very comfortable lives with just my military retirement. The big issues for me are, the heat, corruption, and lots of hungry family members who would probably come to visit and stay and stay. With none of my hobbies avialable I'd probably become a drunk like a lot of the old expats i've met there.

We'll be going back this year for a visit and I would not mind spending a few months there each year; maybe buy a nice condo in Manila. I don't think I could leave everything behind and move for good.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:36 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Just curious, but did you have some kind of difficult personal experience? Or are you just assuming potential problems from the posts on Sticky's website?
Nope; not had difficult personal experience except in work relationships.

It seems that the general consensus is that cross-cultural relationships are difficult. That does not mean that those relationships are impossible. Basically, the bulk of the posts deal with white guy-bar girl relationships. I would like to see more posts from guys who relate to normal women, meaning women in the non-bar workplace.

But, yeah, there are not too many websites with the amount of postings that his site has attracted.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:59 PM

47 posts, read 106,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
People have mentioned the lower cost of living, but no one has mentioned the medical care. Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok provides excellent care at a price much lower than the US. Manila also has its share of good medical facilities. When you're older and retired this is a consideration.

Downside to Thailand? If you're not used to heat and humidity.. it will take some getting used to it. If you are in Bangkok be prepared for crowds in addition to heat and humidity. There is a sex trade but you can just ignore it. there have been incidents where the international airports were shut down by anti-government protestors. There have been problem areas in the area close to the Malaysian border with a muslim minority that have been discriminated against.

Downside to the Philippines? Depending where. If Manila, the weather, pollution, crowds. Countryside gorgeous. Have to worry about corruption.

In both places most everything (food, clothing, entertainment) will be much cheaper. Imported items from the US and Europe will cost more than here.

I'd be happy to retire in either country; though lately Laos is on my list of favorite places...
*Why Laos?
*How can you retire there??
You know you have to cross the bridge from Vientiene to Nong Khai, Thailand for any medical emergency, hospital or doctor.
I thought of retiring there too but not sure how to do.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
for Thailand I have heard that they treat foreigner living there like 2nd class citizen....they only love themselves...and if you have a problem with a thai you need to always back down...coz they always take care of their kind and you are a foreigner...any truth to that?
Yes true. It is not obviouse because they are very friendly upfront. They keep an appearence of smiles as it is the way of the system they are in. Look good no matter what=Face.
You will never be considered one of them if you are a foreigner.
They will gang up on you if you offend one of them.

They might appear very nice because they like the money.

That is all general talk, but there is always good and bad people everywhere is the way the saying goes.
Best to be very careful there. How you look, what you say and who you have to associate with.

It is pretty safe a land, but the bad sections, taxi cab scams and the bars especialy watch out for.

You have to learn to find your way there like anywhere else. Things move differently. The forums are largely a help for expatriates, even tourists.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
Okay ive noticed a lot of american men choose to live in the phillipines/bangbok thailand.........Probably mainly due to the sex trade there.

To those that do, how is the lifestlye there? How much income would u need to live better off then most of the population?

Is the food safe?Weather?People?Crime?

I would like to know why u guys choose to live there and how it is....
Im thinking of moving out of america
thanks
bangkok has a higher cost of living than many other places in Thailand. If you like city and have income $2000 American monthly you are OK.
You will have to learn a lot about how to visa your stay.
There are different ways according to your age and income, marital status and so on.
Over 50 years old with income about $2000 a month then an OA retirement visa is not hard to get and gives you about 5 years with some reporting to Immigration while you are there.
With less money there are other options.
But you probably have to live better than most of the population because the Thai Immigration will not allow you to visa without some sum of money much more than most Thai earn.
The field is wide open for your choice of lifestyle there. That will depend on your personal likes and income as well. Bangkok isn't the only place in Thailand. There is less expensive and more expensive places.
If you are going to marry a Thai National then you can visa with 1 year extensions showing an income of about $1250 a month. But then best to chose another location rather than Bangkok.
Tourist visa good for about 3 months, then maybe 3 more but you have to learn the ropes to visa and need to have at least $600 to show. Your best to have at least $1000 to live.

It is a bit of work keeping up with knowing all the visa laws and also changes that the Thai Immigration could initiate at any time they want to. The Thai forums are the only way to do it as there is always a wealth of real experiences there.

It is best to visit once or twice and then decide if you like to live there. Learn as you go along, there is much to know.

Not to contradict my previous post as to some truth about the Thai but they are a very friendly and peaceful people for the most part.
Crime is less than in the States.
Be careful about the drinking water. Buy only bottled water that is still sealed. So any drink in bangkok be careful.

I love the weather but an air conditioner, not just a fan, is a must for me. The winters beautiful but maybe still hot some days. I like it. Right now is temps about 67 degrees at night and 87 daytime. March begins a long hot couple of seasons probably right through September.
Lifestyle is laid back and easy going, a good place with lots of food stalls to eat at and you can pop a beer open anywhere you buy it! They might even give you a glass of ice!
Just have to know the rules.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:15 PM

The rules? What?

A beginner at that would look like this:

DON'T SAY ANY THING BAD ABOUT THE KING OR THE ROYAL FAMILY - it will get you 2 years in the most disgusting jail in the world.

SMILE ALL THE TIME - that's what they want to see

DO NOT SHOW IMPATIENCE, ANGER OR BE INSISTANT ABOUT ANYTHING - a no no in their culture.

DRESS WELL - you will be judged by your appearence.

NEVER TAKE AN UNMETERED CAB - you most likely will get ripped off.

KEEP YOUR BELONGINGS CLOSE - and watchout for pickpockets at airport and markets in Bangkok.

DO NOT MARRY A BAR GIRL - you can't change them.

There are some funny ones too.
I better not post them here..... !!!

Old 01-09-2010, 10:03 PM

845 posts, read 2,326,631 times
The King was born in Cambridge, Mass..

Old 01-10-2010, 12:28 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
Seems like people who move to the Philippines tend to move to the Manila area, or near there (Angeles/Olongapo/etc.).

Manila is a very large and challenging city with a lot of crowding, a lot of traffic, and it may not really be for everyone.

Some people may prefer to visit or move to outlying areas or islands. Instead of Manila, perhaps a place like Palawan. Somewhere near a city big enough to have an airport and medical facilities, but not overwhelmingly crowded, and close to the beach.

That's another option to look into, if you don't find Manila appealing.

This all seems to be linked to western men marrying Filipinas or Thais, but actually, there are many couples where both spouses are westerners, and they made the move to reduce costs of living and to enjoy the climate.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:22 AM

27 posts, read 131,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Seems like people who move to the Philippines tend to move to the Manila area, or near there (Angeles/Olongapo/etc.).

Manila is a very large and challenging city with a lot of crowding, a lot of traffic, and it may not really be for everyone.

Some people may prefer to visit or move to outlying areas or islands. Instead of Manila, perhaps a place like Palawan. Somewhere near a city big enough to have an airport and medical facilities, but not overwhelmingly crowded, and close to the beach.

That's another option to look into, if you don't find Manila appealing.

This all seems to be linked to western men marrying Filipinas or Thais, but actually, there are many couples where both spouses are westerners, and they made the move to reduce costs of living and to enjoy the climate.

found more euros and brits and aussies living in thailand and more americans living in phils, a former us colony.

english is more widely spoken in phils making commiunication easier. my two thai girlfriends were sweet and fun but spoke hardly any english so it was sign langugage and translators.

angeles,subic,ermita,etc., are as brothel as pattaya or nana in thailand are.

manila should be avoided and cebu should be the airport/entry city to phils.

palawan with el nido,etc., could become the next boracay in phils but it is still very undeveloped down there with lousy infrastructure.

i plan on living on boracay and playing on their powdery white sands and windsurf and kitesurf and dive. they have all the stores,restaurants,bars, and infrastructure one would need and one month's rent on honolulu would pay for 4-5 months rent there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia