Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:29 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Rajko View Post
Well it says all there in that definition of Hispanic. again, it's not about the color etc.. it's more on the influence and culture. take a look at the Cubans, dominated by blacks but part of the latinos.

Would it be a problem to call/consider Pinoys, East Timorese, or even Macau Citizens as Asian Hispanic?
Macanese and East Timorese are Lusophones though.
East Timorese are probably more latinised than Macanese.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:16 AM

546 posts, read 569,459 times
We are by far the most Latinized country in Asia.

Not only in culture by by blood...

According to Spanish censuses; 1/3rd of the population especially the people from the island of Luzon are admixed with varying degrees of Hispanic and the Hispanic is not only limited to Spanish-Spanish but also Latino-Spanish from Colombia, Mexico or Peru.

Here's the Official Spanish Census which said so:

The Former Philippines thru Foreign Eyes - Part VI (by Fedor Jagor et al)

And that same source stated that most of the soldiers who settled into the Philippines in that time period (Year 1796-7) were "South American" i.e: Colombian, Mexican or Peruvian, rather than outright Spanish.

So I guess the 3.6% myth that people say wherein only 3.6% of the total population has any proven European DNA is wrong because the sample size in that study was too small (only 30+ people were used and applied to a population of 100 Million; it's like pretending a single classroom represents the entire population of Brazil for example...)

Thus Spain's official census holds more weight.

Spanish Census prove that there were more people descended from Hispanics than what the 3.6% myth-propogators say. And that many Filipino people themselves, in 23andme and National Geographic's Genographic Project show that the vast majority of Filipinos have European genes and sometimes even Native American genes.

Most Filipinos have Euro and Latino genes.
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...ults-with-pics!

Some even have Native-American genes
http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/sho...3andMe-Results

So the 3.6% myth is now dead.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:51 AM

In contrast to the fact that 1/3rd of Filipinos have real Latin/Latino descent according to Spain's official census. Places like Portuguese-Macau for example only have 2% of their population descended from Portuguese people.

Yet they market themselves as the most Latin city in Asia with buildings such as the Venetian-Macau or the Cathedral ruins, despite most of Macau people being Taoists or being Cantonese with zero Latin ancestry while next door Filipinas which is a majority Catholic area and 1/3rd the 100 million population posses varying degrees of Latin or Latino ancestry, is summarily ignored.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:02 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
In contrast to the fact that 1/3rd of Filipinos have real Latin/Latino descent according to Spain's official census. Places like Portuguese-Macau for example only have 2% of their population descended from Portuguese people.

Yet they market themselves as the most Latin city in Asia with buildings such as the Venetian-Macau or the Cathedral ruins, despite most of Macau people being Taoists or being Cantonese with zero Latin ancestry while next door Filipinas which is a majority Catholic area and 1/3rd the 100 million population posses varying degrees of Latin or Latino ancestry, is summarily ignored.
Who says Macanese don't have Catholics and Portuguese descent people?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_(mixed_ancestry)

There is even one famous actress there who were in fact Portuguese descent.

Goans also have lots of Portuguese mix and in fact most are Catholics, its just because the migration from other provinces makes Hindu becomes the majority of the religion there.

Honestly if i want to see where the East meet West i would go to Qingdao, Macau or Shanghai considering their beautiful colonial architectures, than the Philippines.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post

Goans also have lots of Portuguese mix and in fact most are Catholics, its just because the migration from other provinces makes Hindu becomes the majority of the religion there.
I am not sayig that Macanese dont have any Portuguese descended people, they obviously do. I just said that Portugal's own census said that only 2% of Macau are descended from Portuguese people or are pure Portuguese. 2% though is not the majority.

Whereas in contrast, Spain's own census here says that 1/3rd of Filipinos have varying degrees of Spanish/Latino descent.

And it's cool that the Portguese had Goa-India but how much of them are descended from Portuguee people?

Do you have any census records over how much of them are Portuguese descended? Because I already provided census records which showed that 1/3rd of Filipinos are Hispanic-descended.

Thank You ^_^

Anyway I am still glad with this ratio since 2/3rds of Filipinos are still more related to it's neighbors and/or is native.

Last edited by Selurong; 07-29-2014 at 08:24 AM..

Old 07-29-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Honestly if i want to see where the East meet West i would go to Qingdao, Macau or Shanghai considering their beautiful colonial architectures, than the Philippines.
We are not a case of East meets West, that scenario is so common.

In the silk-road the Stans: Uzbekistan. Kazakstan, East Turkistan or any of the silk-route nations is already centuries of that prior 'to Macau or Shanghai.

What the Philippines is, is a case of Old World (Africa-Asia-Europe) meets New World (North and South America) via the Pacific trade between Acapulco-Mexico and Manila-Philippines.

In this regard, we are the only nation in this hemisphere to be of the Old World meets New World type.

Even Malaysia, Sumatrah or Singapore is still of the East meets West type (Same Old-World rehash)

Even the East meets west of Qingdao, Macau or Shanghai is merely the same old same old (Europeans who have traded with Asians for centuries even beforehand, rehashed again)

Whereas what Filipinos have; interactions between Southeast Asia and Latin-America is completely unique unto itself. Do tell me what other place in the region, nay, the asian continent, has the status the Philippines has with the USA and Latin-America?

^_^

Old 07-29-2014, 08:24 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,159 times
Quote:
I am not sayig that Macanese dont have any Portuguese descended people, they obviously do. I just said that Portugal's own census said that only 2% of Macau are descended from Portuguese people or are pure Portuguese. 2% thogh is not the majority.

Whereas in contrast, Spain's own census here says that 1/3rd of Filipinos have varying degrees of Spanish/Latino descent.

And it's cool that the Portguese had Goa-India but howmuch of them are descended from Portuguee people?

Do you have any census records over how much of them are Portuguese descended? Because I already provided census records which showed that 1/3rd of Filipinos are Hispanic-descended.

Thank You ^_^
Ok so you give evidence based on a personal who had done DNA test? well if you want to believe it so it makes you feel better that's fine by me, i doubt there's enough Spanish on that time to intermarry the local. There's migration from Latin Americas but not on massive scale.

Quote:
We are not a case of East meets West, that scenario is so common.

In the silk-road the Stans: Uzbekistan. Kazakstan, East Turkistan or any of the silk-route nations is already centuries of that priorto Macau or Shanghai.

Wht the Philippines is, is a case of Old World (Africa-Asia-Europe) meets new world (North and South America) via the Pacific trade between Acapulco-Mexico and Manila-Philippines.

In this regard, we are the only nation in this hemisphere to be of the Old World meets New World.

Even the East meets west of Qingdao, Macau or Shanghai is merely same old same old (European who have traded with Asians for centuries even beforehand, rehashed again)

Whereas what Filipinos have; interactions between Southeast Asia and Latin-America is completely unique unto itself. Do tell me what other place in the region, nay, the asian continent, has the status the Philippines has with North America and Latin-America?
Didn't think so, there's a few relationship between Brazil and Asia during the Portuguese times as well.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Ok so you give evidence based on a personal who had done DNA test? well if you want to believe it so it makes you feel better that's fine by me, i doubt there's enough Spanish on that time to intermarry the local. There's migration from Latin Americas but not on massive scale.

Didn't think so, there's a few relationship between Brazil and Asia during the Portuguese times as well.
I admit that there was very little Spanish settlers who migrated to the Philippines. What happened though is that they have alot of Spanish descendants. I have researched some of this and found out that the Spanish soldiers that came from the East (Pacific) did have alot of children (Often 5-7) hence the census stated that 1/3rd were descended from Hispanic people but a very small minority were actually Spanish-natives (born in Spain).

It's obviously not as massive as in Latin America were 80% of Mexicans are Mestizos (Half Amerindian and Half European) whereas in the Philippine's case, only 1/3rd of the population were Mestizo-descendants while the remaining 2/3rds were not.

We'll I don't know about the relationship between Brazil and Asia I only know of the relationship between the Philippines and Latin-America. Also, the migration wasn't only one-way wherein Latinos migrated to the Philippines, it was also reciprocal. Filipinos also migrated to Latin America; Cuba, Mexico and Peru have the oldest and largest Filipino communities in Latin-America. Cuban cigars for example were designed after Filipino cigar designs which in turn was derived from Betel-nut chewing from Taiwanese aboriginals and also influenced by Javanese spice intaking.

Last edited by Selurong; 07-29-2014 at 08:52 AM..

Old 07-29-2014, 08:49 AM

Also Brazil is more of an interplay between Africa, Europe and South America via the much shorter Atlantic Ocean whereas the Philippines was an interplay between Southeast Asia and Latin-America across the huge expanse of the Pacific Ocean which literally makes it a case wherein two people from the opposite sides of the globe came together.

If it is 12:00 Midday in Manila, Philippines it is 12:00 Midnight in Havana, Cuba. Literally, they are in opposite sides of the globe.

If you deem Quingdao, Macau or Shanghai; "East meets West". Then the interaction between Southeast Asia and Latin America is literally Midday meets Midnight.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:32 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times
Quote:

Yes there really aren't so many Portuguese mixes in Macau. Most of the people are still Chinese. They may have preserved Portuguese architecture but that doesn't mean they have a lot of Mestizos. You just have to look at their culture to see. They have not really gotten the Portuguese culture. Their culture is still very Chinese. Most of the them cannot even speak Portuguese though Macau only got independence just in 1999.
I frequent the Portuguese embassy and every time I go there, no one speaks Portuguese and no mestizo at all. Portugal just made a mistake making them Portuguese notwithstanding not having any Portuguese mixture and not speaking the language and especially now that it doesn't belong to Portugal any more.
There are probably even more Portuguese who are married to Filipinos there.

I wouldn't call their architecture really beautiful. Their churches are very plain and simple except for the ruins and the only building that is nice is their post office. They just really preserved everything they had and of course, they were probably spared from the Japanese bombing.
Philippines had more Spanish architecture but unfortunately they were bombed during the Japanese and American war and none of them ever rebuilt them again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia