Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 07:30 PM

570 posts, read 490,917 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-wLo4pnlQc

Coyuca, Guerrero, Mexico.
This is were the majority of Filipinos settled the most.
Francisco Mongoy was native of this town and served also in the armies of Morelos and Guerrero.
María Faustina Benítez de Álvarez, was the spouse of Juan Alvarez.
Juan Alvarez was in charge of the movement when Vicente Guerrero was assassinated.

Both Mongoy and Faustina were Filipinos.

For those who don't know Guerrero's accomplishments, he was the one that abolished slavery in the New Spain(Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Guam, Islas Marianas, Filipinas and Republica Dominicana) back then.
He also went and arrange the movement of American indian tribes into Mexican Territory, those tribes meet at San Antonio Texas(back then was Coahuila, and before that it's name was Nueva Filipinas).
Kikapues, Cherokees, Seminoles and others that were hustled by American troops.

All of these done in one short term: April 1, 1823 – October 10, 1824, beat that Obama!

His whole name: Vicente Ramón Guerrero Saldaña.
The first Mexican president of African decent.
Second president of Mexico.

Last edited by SK Brown.; 09-01-2014 at 07:42 PM..

Old 09-01-2014, 07:44 PM

399 posts, read 719,453 times
Spanish used to be the language because of Spanish colonizers. I think it's great and a major advantage that Filipino's learn and speak English. They are way ahead of the game in that department. Others in Asia travel to the Philippines to learn English. Spanish is widely spoken in the Americas, but English is a more important language worldwide. Now if someone wants to learn Spanish or another language than it's their choice. A school can have different languages to choose from. My school had Spanish and French. I think it's great also that Filipino's still speak their native languages.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:01 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
For the people doubting the existence of the Spanish language in the Philippines, the original National Anthem is the biggest proof that Filipinos did speak Spanish before.
Does anyone doubt the Spanish language existed in the Philippines?

Old 09-01-2014, 09:58 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
Spanish used to be the language because of Spanish colonizers. I think it's great and a major advantage that Filipino's learn and speak English. They are way ahead of the game in that department. Others in Asia travel to the Philippines to learn English. Spanish is widely spoken in the Americas, but English is a more important language worldwide. Now if someone wants to learn Spanish or another language than it's their choice. A school can have different languages to choose from. My school had Spanish and French. I think it's great also that Filipino's still speak their native languages.
English is a universal language so it is important to learn it, however I don't think it should be given more importance than Spanish because Spanish played a more important role in the history of the Philippines. Having removed it took away a big part of the Philippine history, Filipino culture and Filipino identity. Look at the big mess now of Filipinos not really knowing so much about their culture and history. Our dialects could never be completed without the use of the Spanish words. Spanish should not just be an elective subject in schools but SHOULD be one of the major subjects in schools like the way it used to be.

English is a universal language yes, but would it be better to be able to speak two of the most widely spoken languages in the world instead of just one ? I don't know why Americans and English only think that it's enough to be able to speak English. Most Europeans speak atleast 3 languages. My husband speaks English, French, Spanish and his own language plus he can understand a little Italian. If Filipinos are still able to speak Spanish, they can still relate more to Latin America for business and trade and there will also be more Filipinos working in Latin America and Spain. It would still make Filipinos ahead of everyone because they of speaking two of the most important languages in the world.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 09-01-2014 at 10:15 PM..

Old 09-01-2014, 10:03 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think, at this point, nobody doubts it. I think what our Filipino and other latino posters misunderstand is, why the need for the Filipinos on here to embrace cultural suicide?

Old 09-01-2014, 10:05 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The ones who voted for " Not At All " or the ones saying there is no hispanicness in the Philippines.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:43 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,112,511 times
Quote:
It is important that Filipino learn Spanish, most records specially documents in Spanish. How can they even trace their ancestors record who live during Spanish time. There are so many Spanish books written by our heroes in Spanish that supposed to be part of the subject. The mother of Philippine literature wrote Spanish and her native language Ilocano. English is fair but not Spanish lol which it was actually a link of our past. That is why there are so many Filipinos who are loss it's identity trying to ignore because of education.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
The ones who voted for " Not At All " or the ones saying there is no hispanicness in the Philippines.
I saw the School Anthem of Colegio de San Juan de Letran as I was curious because they officially replaced the name of my former school in the province of Manaoag, Pangasinan. The new name is Colegio de San Juan de Letran Manaoag. Wondering if Spanish class will be part of the subject and this hymn in Spanish language.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-03-2014 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 09-02-2014, 08:28 AM

399 posts, read 719,453 times
Certainly the Spanish language played a big part in Filipino history. It should be something that people can learn if they want to but not mandatory. I think English is fine. English is the language that basically the rest of the world wants to learn. It's good to know your history. But Filipino's have their own languages. Tagalog, Cebuano, Ilocano, Waray-Waray, Tausug, Hiligaynon, and more. The fact that these languages have survived and are still widely spoken should be celebrated. These language are your true roots.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Certainly the Spanish language played a big part in Filipino history. It should be something that people can learn if they want to but not mandatory. I think English is fine. English is the language that basically the rest of the world wants to learn. It's good to know your history. But Filipino's have their own languages. Tagalog, Cebuano, Ilocano, Waray-Waray, Tausug, Hiligaynon, and more. The fact that these languages have survived and are still widely spoken should be celebrated. These language are your true roots.
The truth why everyone still has their own languages it's because our individual languages was not taken away from us and the colonizer was the one who learn the language instead and that was a great at least we still have our native languages. Spanish was the language that united everyone that's why it's so important from the history. Those who are Anti-Spanish wanted to change the history and was favor to American era that's why everyone was messed up and confuse. Most of the Christian Dominant areas of the Philippines are already mixed of different people specially, their neighbor provinces so it means a lot of different ethnic group were mixed so they are not just belong to 1 native ethnic anymore.

Before they removed Spanish Language in education and now CHED wanted to remove the Filipino Language class in College in favor of English. They didn't even teach the students the proper using of Filipino Language.

Jeproks to Jejemon: How the Filipino language evolves - YouTube
^They wanted to promote this instead...

Last edited by pinai; 09-02-2014 at 10:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia