Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 08:08 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,086,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexico76 View Post
This depends on what is meant by "Hispanic."

The U.S. Census and government "bureaucratic definition"; Hispanic is someone from Spain or Spanish-speaking nations in the Western Hemisphere. Filipinos are not Hispanic there (though a Guatemalan who only speaks Maya and has no Spanish ancestors is).

The "educated academic definition" of Hispanic; Hispanic is someone who is Spanish-speaking and has a strong Spanish influence in terms of culture regardless of ancestry, race, or appearance. The minority of Filipinos who speak Spanish and maintain a "Spanish Creole" ethnic and cultural identity certainly are Hispanic. Isabel Preysler (Julio Iglesias' wife, and mother of Enrique Iglesias) is a good example of a Filipina who would be considered "Hispanic" by any reasonable cultural definition.

Then there's the "uneducated idiot in the street definition" in much of the U.S.: a Hispanic is a brown-skinned person with a name like Jose Gomez. I remember a tragedy in which a white supremacist killed a Filipino American mailman because he was "Mexican."
I agree with the educated definition of hispanic. The thing is Philippines is in between because Filipinos do not speak Spanish any more although there are 6,000 Spanish words in the Filipino language and the Spanish creolle in Zamboanga Philippines and you cannot deny the hispanic influence in Filipino culture.

Philippines is also part of " Hispanidad " along with Latin America notwithstanding being in Asia so I think it is fair enough to say it is regardless of geography and race.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:02 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Uh, Hispanics/Latinos can be of any race, or races. That means European/Caucasian, African, Asian, and a mix of any or all of the above. There are Hispanics of Asian ancestry, in Mexico, Panama, Peru, and Cuba, for example. This, however, does not make a Filipino a Hispanic person unless he/she grew up in Latin America and considers him/herself part of that culture.
Historically, Philippines used to be part of Latin America under the provincial name 'Nueva España' which Capital was in Mexico signed in Spanish Constitution in Cadiz, Spain in 1812. Spain declared Latin America as provinces of Spain & we were carried out because we we're governed by Mexico ('Nueva España')

So Philippines was part of it from 1812-1821 until Mexico gain their Independence. But Philippines retained as a province of Spain until 1898. Now, Philippines is geographically located in Asia but during American Occupation also we we're considered in different geographic location too (Western Pacific).

Old 06-14-2013, 07:50 AM

To those who doesn't know the history of Nueva España

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=246q2ziws8I

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinc...e_Am%C3%A9rica
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Spain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_East_Indies

Last edited by pinai; 06-14-2013 at 08:46 AM..

Old 06-14-2013, 09:30 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,086,639 times
I think it's only Filipinos who can answer this. Non Filipinos will mostly say No because most people think Hispanic is a race and having Spanish language. Filipinos think more of it as a culture, culture shared by Spain to its colonies so Non Filipinos will never understand this... No matter how much you tell them or give or show them factors that make Philippines and Filipino people hispanic, they will never understand because they do not have any clue about the similar culture shared between Spain, Latin America and Philippines.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 06-14-2013 at 10:37 AM..

Old 06-14-2013, 12:35 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,054 times
yes, I think Filipinos are definitely a Hispanic people with asian ancestary

there are many different types of hispanics, in South America they have black hispanics, asian hispanics, white hispanics

same with Cuba, they also have asian hispanics of Chinese ancestery

Filipinos are also a type of hispanic mostly by culture, but they are a mixture of asian hispanic culture with a stronger influence from Spain

Old 06-14-2013, 02:44 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenofsix View Post
Roman Catholic 80.9%
source: cia.gov
is 80.9% everyone? no I didn't think so.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:51 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,466 times
I say the Filipino people are semi-Hispanic. with some being fully Hispanic and others not at all. I think it depends on how much the individual person has absorbed of the Spanish influences. I mean theirs no way all Filipinos are completely the same.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:17 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
No, they're Asians.
They're located in Asia....have Asian features. That just so happened to be colonized by Spain for some time. Doesn't negate the fact that the people themselves are Asians.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
No, they're Asians.
They're located in Asia....have Asian features. That just so happened to be colonized by Spain for some time. Doesn't negate the fact that the people themselves are Asians.
'Asian Features' - 'Asia'
So Chinese features is same as Bangladeshi vice versa
South Asian are same as East Asian because we all look the same features lol
West Asian features is same as Southeast Asians lol

Because we all look the same 'Asian' features lol I guess you have to learn the countries in Asia.
by the way, look at also the native of Latin America and it so happened they were also colonized by Spain.
Hispanic is a culture and not race.

Last edited by pinai; 06-14-2013 at 05:19 PM..

Old 06-14-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
I say the Filipino people are semi-Hispanic. with some being fully Hispanic and others not at all. I think it depends on how much the individual person has absorbed of the Spanish influences. I mean theirs no way all Filipinos are completely the same.
yes, it is semi-hispanic. because if you say yes, then you ignored our malay heritage & other indigenous culture which we shouldn't and if you say no, it's obviously you also ignored that the Philippines was named after the Spanish King, The Hispanic culture and tradition that exist in the Philippines and Filipinos culture, Our mestizos even if they are small percentage but they do exist same as those in Latin America you cannot also ignore their native indigenous people or their indigenous side like the Amerindian even if they are already small in percentage but they do exist & shouldn't forget. The 3% of 90 Million or more is not a small population which is not 100% accurate as they just conducted to only 28 or more than 100 people. Imagine how many generation a 1 person can produce in 333 or more years?

Our former Philippine Ambassador in Spain Ana de Sequera-Ugarte's family
both of her parents are descended Filipino Mestizos.
http://hechoayer.files.wordpress.com...6/p8092165.jpg
Ana de Sequera

DSCF0051
Ana's parents and siblings.

DSCF0039
Ana & her daughter Pia, Pia's father is also Filipino Mestizo, and Ana's sister Teresa or
(Tereng, a uniquely Filipino nickname)

de Sequera Family
YVR 10:31:03
Quito: Commencements June 5 03
Jesus de Sequera

Last edited by pinai; 06-14-2013 at 09:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia