Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:42 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,250,592 times

Advertisements

I think both is a great choice. We went to HK for our honeymoon and did a lot of local stuff like night markets, taking the subway and explored on our own. It was one of the best experiences of my life. Either place you choose, I think it's an awesome idea. I would guess, however, that Tokyo may be more of an expensive trip. If money isn't a factor, then really what you should consider is personal choice. In addition to HK, you would also be able to visit nearby town in China. I don't know if that would interest you or not but it was kinda fun taking the speed boats. On the other hand, Tokyo's got that bullet train. If money REALLY isn't even a factor, then do both!! ENJOY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 06:48 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,705 times
I second taiwan-it's also a small island that is very varied,so w/in 6 hrs you can take a train from one end to the other...it's a great place for a week or two. one side of the island is very rural,along the coastal area,too.
There's surfing in some locales,a japanese influence,esp. down south in tainan [japanese occupied taiwan] and there are tea houses everywhere!
Mainland chinese fled to taiwan,and many of the classic cultural practices and traditions went w/them. You will find these in taiwan still.
As well,taiwan has an indegenous population [hakka?] and you can experience this culture as well.
B/C of it's size,big enough for variety,small enough to take it all in in a relatively short time,it's a great choice
I believe Eva air is usually on the cheaper end if travelling from the west coast of the US [it's taiwan's airline]...you could also get a layover in taipei as mentioned,but on the way to tokyo,and cover both places.
can't go wrong no matter which you pick.
taipei is very modern,but not as tech modern as hong kong or tokyo.
although,it's been 'wired' for a long time as a country.
hard to explain-it's an interesting place/crossroads,modern easy transport,and it's CHEAPER than tokyo or hong kong,by far. affordable for sure. and very friendly people. very little english except taipei... good luck.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:37 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,806 times
Quote:
In addition to HK, you would also be able to visit nearby town in China. I don't know if that would interest you or not but it was kinda fun taking the speed boats.
A US passport holder cannot cross into the People's Republic of China (China) without a special visa, which must be obtained (usually many) weeks in advance. The Republic Of China (Taiwan) has a visa waiver program for US passport-holders which allows them to visit without a visa for up to 30 days.

If you didn't have a Chinese Visa, perhaps you visited a town that was still in Hong Kong territory? Or I have heard of visitors being allowed between the ferry docks and the airport without papers, maybe you did this?

The Chinese towns near HK, like Guangzhou, are nice enough, but nothing special. Shenzhen is the border town and it used to be a rough place, but I hear things are improving nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Mainland chinese fled to taiwan,and many of the classic cultural practices and traditions went w/them. You will find these in taiwan still.
As well,taiwan has an indegenous population [hakka?] and you can experience this culture as well.
Correct. Because the ROC did not experience the terrible insanity of the so-called "Cultural Revolution", they still practice and honor Chinese tradition more than the mainlanders (at least officially). The ROC/Taiwan defends Chinese tradition like insisting on continuing to use traditional Chinese characters and eschewing the ugly "simplified" Chinese characters the communists insist on using. If you tour the PRC, however, you will see traditional characters making a comeback. Most traditions in the PRC, however, are simply being "revived" in a disney-fied way for the benefit of making a buck off domestic tourists. However, if you are not Chinese, you might not notice the difference between a theme park and a real traditional old town.

Quote:
B/C of it's size,big enough for variety,small enough to take it all in in a relatively short time,it's a great choice
I believe Eva air is usually on the cheaper end if travelling from the west coast of the US [it's taiwan's airline]...you could also get a layover in taipei as mentioned,but on the way to tokyo,and cover both places.
can't go wrong no matter which you pick.
Malaysian, China Airlines, and shockingly Delta/Northwest (Though their 747 which makes the Chicago-Seoul haul is hideously old and uncomfortable) generally have the best deals but connect through Korea. EVA is for those who want a higher level of comfort and service (and who don't want a layover in Seoul).

I heartily agree with everything else you've written about Taiwan.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:50 AM

Also,in Taiwan,although many people don't speak English,nearly every child/adult studies it,and they are very eager to try out the few words or phrases they do know.
Again,Taiwanese are very friendly and helpful,and it is extremely safe. As a single young women,I felt completely safe even after 10 pm,in a city of a million,riding my bike. [although riding a bike is not for the faint of heart!lol]
There's very little crime,relatively speaking. Same with tokyo or hong kong,though.
Taiwan is fast but it's also laid back. Again,it's so easy to get around,but it's more diverse than hong kong in terms of what you can see,IMO.
I really recommend trying taiwan and tokyo in a combined trip,for two weeks;it would be fantastic,IMO.
There are western amenities to feel comfortable,but it's less so than tokyo or hkg. as far as westernized.
You'll have a great trip no matter which place you choose. good luck!

Old 02-09-2010, 10:57 AM

Smile Taiwan

Malaysian, China Airlines, and shockingly Delta/Northwest (Though their 747 which makes the Chicago-Seoul haul is hideously old and uncomfortable) generally have the best deals but connect through Korea. EVA is for those who want a higher level of comfort and service (and who don't want a layover in Seoul).

I heartily agree with everything else you've written about Taiwan.[/quote]

Yes,I have taken NW via soeul via seattle...very long. and the S. airport-uugh. Eva airlines seems to have consolidator fares often enough-look for wholesale or consolidator (if the Op is interested in taiwan),and you can find eva air to tokyo via taipei with a stopover free or pretty cheap. Last I checked this was an option. There's an asia consolidator company based in san francsico-i cannot remember their name off hand-but search online;they offer the best deals i have found,on a consistent basis. Or,the Eva airlines site directly can have great deals,too.

One other thing-taiwan gets more business travellers and english teachers than tourists,so they are very excited to see tourists and very welcoming/helpful overall. Also OP can check out forumosa dot com for travel and general info on taiwan [formerly Formosa island].

Old 02-10-2010, 02:36 AM

200 posts, read 294,745 times
Having studying abroad in Tokyo recently for 3 months from September-December and taking a one week trip to Hong Kong in between, you really can't go wrong with either.

From my experience, Tokyo is little bit more interesting place to me than Hong Kong. You will definitely feel more of a culture shock compared to Hong Kong. Language might be an issue for you, as it was for me little bit (even studied Japanese for two years in college). The thing I loved about Tokyo though was the many districts that were all different from each other. The public transportation there makes exploring the city really easy without being too expensive. Having spent 3 months in Tokyo, I still feel like I didn't go to all the different areas I wanted to see (this could be partly blamed on my busy schedule there) . So exploring Tokyo in one week might be a little difficult to say the least.

As for Hong Kong, I loved the city the one week I was there. I think the city and area as a whole is more pleasing to the eye than Tokyo. I kind of prefer Tokyo's streetscape though. Getting around and ordering food and such is very easy since almost everyone speaks a decent amount of English (I was confused as a local on many occasions because I am of Vietnamese descent but did know any Cantonese or Mandarin whatsoever). Hong Kong was cheaper in my experience when it came to food and the transit system. My hotels were a little pricey considering the size, however I did stay at a 5-star hotel for only $90USD or so. Hotels within the harbour vicinity are quite expensive, so this hotel was about 30 minutes out by train. Can't speak for Tokyo because I lived in a dorm during my time there. One thing to consider is the exchange rate. The Hong Kong dollar is pegged to the US Dollar which means you exchanging US dollars for Hong Kong currency wont be a bite to your wallet barring any fees from the banks or exchange centers. The Japanese yen however is currently stronger against the dollar which is definitely not a good thing for a tourist going to Japan now.

Also, didn't see anything about this in the previous posts, but you can go to Macau from Hong Kong by ferry which is about one hour long. Roundtrip by ferry is only about $35USD. Macau is definitely different from Hong Kong even though they are very close geographically and treated the same way by the Chinese Government. Macau was colonized by the Portuguese which their presence is definitely felt there. Also Macau is the gambling capital of Asia and possibly the world since it makes more gambling revenue than Las Vegas. Many mega resorts exist just like in Vegas. Its still not as impressive as Vegas though, but its getting there. Give it five years. I only spent two days and one night in Macau, did not get to explore a lot. If you have two weeks of vacation, you should have plenty of time between two cities. A warning here though, Macau does not have a public transit system. To get around you must rely on hotel shuttle buses and taxis. If your into gambling or want to see something new, you should definitely stop in Macau if you are going to Hong Kong.

There you have it in my brief description about the two cities. I kinda of prefer Tokyo having lived there for 3 months but Hong Kong is definitely great as well. I am in the same position as the OP as well because this summer I am going to Vietnam with my family but we want to stop in a different city for one week, with the choice between Tokyo and Hong Kong. I am having a tough decision recommending a city. Great place to check out the cities and match your needs or preferences from a tourist standpoint is Wikitravel.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:15 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,830 times
Never been to Hong Kong, but I would go with Tokyo. I just imagine HK to be a scaled-back version of Tokyo. Why go with second-rate, when you get the real deal?

Old 02-10-2010, 08:39 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Never been to Hong Kong, but I would go with Tokyo. I just imagine HK to be a scaled-back version of Tokyo. Why go with second-rate, when you get the real deal?
That's kind of like calling Chicago a scaled-down version of London. Tokyo is nothing like HK. Actually, no major city is like any other, in my experience.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:45 PM

11 posts, read 36,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
I'll be graduating from my university in May. I want to travel to either Hong Kong or Tokyo to celebrate the start of my independence. I'll be traveling alone. I've been to both cities when I was young, so I don't remember much. I'd like to meet some locals. I think traveling alone will force me to step out of my comfort zone and get me to mingle with locals. Which city would be better for this? I'll be booking the flight using miles, so I have to choose by the end of this month.

Thanks!
If you travel Hong Kong, you also can travel china directly.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:53 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,181 times
Without a doubt: Tokyo.

I was born and raised in Tokyo, so I'm biased. I was just telling my husband how much I miss it. I left Japan when I was 18, and at that age, I didn't truly appreciate it. Now that I'm older, I wish I would've spent more time exploring and learning.

I can't speak for Hong Kong, but Nyc reminds me a lot of Tokyo, and for that reason, I love Nyc, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia