Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather visit?
Taipei 5 41.67%
Ho Chi Minh City 7 58.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 01:59 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times

Advertisements

Both are in countries strongly influenced by China, but have their own style. Neither is particularly old as Asian cities go (both about 300-400 years old), and both are on the up and looking to the future:

I've been to both and would choose Taipei for the following reasons:

Taipei pluses:

* More modern, orderly and easy to get around. Very modern and efficient, easy to use MRT subway system.

* People behave in a more civil manner. E.g. lining up.

* Traffic isn't so crazy and scary. Safer crossing the road.

* More variety in food: Taiwanese food is great - a bit from all over China with some local influences. Plus great Japanese food and pretty good western food. The nightmarkets!

* Somewhat better command of English.

* Far more brand names and shopping variety. More modern malls.

* Better entertainment/nightlife.

* Scenery is nicer, with lots of hills, forests, nice ocean.etc and plenty of daytrips.

* Hardly anyone tries to hassle you to buy you things, or to take a motorcycle or solicit prostitutes.

Saigon pluses:

* More of an exotic, different experience.

* Things are cheaper - especially accommodation, although Taipei can be cheap too. Cheap fruits.

* Vietnamese food is great, but so is Taiwanese.

* French colonial architecture in central Saigon.

* Less isolated being on an island.

* Better markets for cheap shopping.

Aside from that, I found Saigon not a particularly interesting city as Asian cities go. I mean it's WORTH visiting, but Hanoi has more of the eclectic character of old Vietnam as well as colonial charm, while Saigon felt a bit sterile at times. I don't feel any pull to return to Saigon, though I might return to Taipei one day. Saigon is more developing, it feels pretty stressful there as everyone is on the go all the time. Both are worth checking out: both have great food, some fairly friendly people, markets, culture - some history, though nothing ancient.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:14 PM

37,155 posts, read 39,430,503 times
I've never been to Saigon, so Id pick that. Is the french colonial architecture over a large expanse or is it a pretty small area?

Old 11-30-2013, 06:58 PM

Over a pretty small area. I will say it probably has one of the most impressive post offices I've ever seen though.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:16 AM

808 posts, read 1,879,185 times
Neither city has much history going for it, at least compared to the more popular cities in Asia, but I'd go for Taipei since it's much more developed.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:22 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
I've been to both, and like both. But Saigon/HCMC is just more interesting. So, I'd vote for Saigon.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
Neither city has much history going for it, at least compared to the more popular cities in Asia, but I'd go for Taipei since it's much more developed.
Saigon's most well known historic buildings are like the Notre Damme cathedral and Post Office building which are barely 100 years old, and some hotels well known during the War such as the Rex. It also has some old Chinese temples in Cholon, which is the Chinatown.

In Taipei you've got some 300 year old temples and some monuments to Nationalism, but overall it's a city pretty bereft of history. There's a fort built by the British in Tamsui though.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:19 PM

808 posts, read 1,879,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Saigon's most well known historic buildings are like the Notre Damme cathedral and Post Office building which are barely 100 years old, and some hotels well known during the War such as the Rex. It also has some old Chinese temples in Cholon, which is the Chinatown.

In Taipei you've got some 300 year old temples and some monuments to Nationalism, but overall it's a city pretty bereft of history. There's a fort built by the British in Tamsui though.
In general, only indigenous cultural landmarks interest me when I visit a foreign country.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:49 PM

571 posts, read 1,318,786 times
Are most food items in Saigon spicy-hot? I imagine that Taipei has more milder cuisine.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
In general, only indigenous cultural landmarks interest me when I visit a foreign country.
That's the thing, neither has much that is very old, although you have a few older neighbourhoods. Saigon isn't part of the core of the Viet homeland or the original Viet homeland, it was conquered by them as late as the 16th century (so barely older than Boston), although they did not erect a lot of nice historic buildings. If you want to Vietnamese historic architecture go to Hoi An, Hue and Hanoi. A lot of it is VERY similar to Chinese though so if one has been to China one might even be a little disappointed.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
Are most food items in Saigon spicy-hot? I imagine that Taipei has more milder cuisine.
Not really, Vietnamese cuisine in general isn't hot spicy, although it varies a bit by region, but not certainly compared to other cuisines in SE Asia. Central Viet cuisine is a bit spicier though. Most dishes allow you to option to put as much or as little chilli as you want. Taiwanese food is the same, they usually allow you to add as much chilli as you want, although you have some spicy dishes especially that nationalists from Sichuan or places like Hunan brought with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.