Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: China or Japan?
China 26 27.37%
Japan 69 72.63%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:03 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,599,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev101 View Post
i've read it's more economic discimination more than racial (not that this doesn't exists). chinese city dweller disciminate against rural migrant workers. if you look poor/uneducated, you stand a higher chance of being look down on, regardless of race.
Yeah, thats pretty much what I was saying. Of course, just like everywhere else, ethnicity and race comes into judgements and injustice regarding economic discrimination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I've long gone forgot where or what the adress is to that blog. It was quite awhile ago though. He was very detailed about it that's all I know. But what about that story about the famous chinese 'black' girl that hit headlines about a month ago? She was the chinese born and bred half-black young girl who was in some kind of TV competition and she lost because of her skin color. Her mother is full Chinese and raised her by herself or something. It was really heartbreaking.
Just be careful what stories you pick and choose from, and the angle they have. I don't know that she lost "because she was half-black". Were there a lot of racist comments? No doubt. The US is hardly far away from its own racism regarding blacks either, so if I collected every blog or story on that you'd get the impression the whole country was under Jim Crow. Europe too. While outside of the US I've had an Israeli friend ask a Jewish friend how she could stand all the anti-semitism in the US and that she'd never want to live anywhere else because if that. I can pull every story about European intolerance and it'd be quote scary as well. We can all choose to listen to scary stories and believe the worst. Or we can listen to different sides and stories and get a fuller picture. Once we've learned more, judgements will be more valid.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:20 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,159 times
Quote:
But what about that story about the famous chinese 'black' girl that hit headlines about a month ago? She was the chinese born and bred half-black young girl who was in some kind of TV competition and she lost because of her skin color. Her mother is full Chinese and raised her by herself or something. It was really heartbreaking.
I read about that one too and it was unfortunate there were a lot of negative comments generated not at her but at her mother .... a married woman at the time she had an affair with a US black citizen visiting China. In any one of the ME countries, do you know what they do to a loose woman like that?

I remember when the Rie Fujii's case hit the Calgary Herald, every Japanese cousins on my maternal grandmother's side, was suddenly a Korean or a Taiwanese.

It is natural that people want to visit foreign countries to see how other people live and experience their culture. But if the intention of this thread is to bash one country over the other, then all is forgiven given that one has lead toys the other has killer cars.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:35 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,982,848 times
Japan...

I really love the Japanese countryside... I would like to visit all of the old fishing villages near the sea.

Tokyo and Osaka are massive, dense cities jam packed with tons of people, restaurants, shops, museums, gambling centers, red light districts, technology, metro railways, etc. I would love to visit those cities as well.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:45 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
What about neither as a valid option?

Old 02-28-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes and no. The government is still very heavy-handed when it comes to things like media censorship, crime and punishment, and human rights/personal freedom, but economically; China is about as free-market as they come, really. I wonder what Mao would think of all these new American style neighbourhoods I saw popping up, like something out of Desperate Housewives, with Bentleys and Lamborghini's in the driveway. Or the many boutique stores and other high street retail establishments filling cities like Beijing, Shanghai or Guangzhou.
Out of curiosity, I asked around and my Chinese friends told me that American cars are the most sought after hot commodities in China. This video was taken at a BUICK dealership in a Chinese city, and the husband gave in to his wife and bought a BUICK.
url address: v.youku.com/v_show/id_16114367.html?full=true#full

Old 03-01-2010, 10:51 AM

304 posts, read 782,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
Out of curiosity, I asked around and my Chinese friends told me that American cars are the most sought after hot commodities in China. This video was taken at a BUICK dealership in a Chinese city, and the husband gave in to his wife and bought a BUICK.
url address: v.youku.com/v_show/id_16114367.html?full=true#full
buick has a good image in china. seen as a luxury brand...whereas, in the u.s., it has long been associated with making land-yachts.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:11 AM

871 posts, read 1,630,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893
I've long gone forgot where or what the adress is to that blog. It was quite awhile ago though. He was very detailed about it that's all I know. But what about that story about the famous chinese 'black' girl that hit headlines about a month ago? She was the chinese born and bred half-black young girl who was in some kind of TV competition and she lost because of her skin color. Her mother is full Chinese and raised her by herself or something. It was really heartbreaking.
i didn't think it was that heartbreaking since her mother cared for her. she was still able to provide for her and she is okay. now her daughter can move elsewhere or america where she may fit in better. it's definitely not the worst situation. some people have no one. it's pretty stupid to expect to live in a society like that with a biracial child (mother knew what was up), obviously she chose it. anyplace you are a vulnerable minority (not sizable minority) you will be more outcast or stigmatized or subject to discrimination. this doesn't just happen along racial lines but it could be any difference from the majority. this is nothing new.

try being asian in the south even ten or twenty years ago. unfriendly to nasty. even lately, in philly a bunch of asians students were targeted by african-americans. a chinese man was robbed and killed, the perpetrators targeted an asian right before for the same type of crime etc. these are just the more overt incidences so it's nationalized on news. by everyday things like general racism and discrimination exist and is common. you can't legislate people's hearts, you can only control thier behavior to some extent. naive americans believe that just because america has laws against racism that somehow it means people aren't racist. there are lots of closet racists too, it's very common in general society. chinese are not any more or less racist.

those who are more of a sizable majority will experience less. there is more clout with numbers. it's not that people are more tolerant or like you, it's that they have no choice but to be more tolerant.

Last edited by rory00; 03-01-2010 at 11:53 AM..

Old 03-01-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
02-25-2010, 03:42 AM
She was the chinese born and bred half-black young girl who was in some kind of TV competition and she lost because of her skin color.
Must be my training .. never leave a stone unturned

According to Lou Jing - Wikipedia
"Lou received an internship offer from Shanghai television station Dragon TV after the show. She has since became a co-host of the show News Surfing Intelligence, a local Shanghai program."

Another half-Chinese who grew up without his African father, is China's first black National Volleyball player.

This British-born Liberian is impressive. He arrived in Beijing in 2002 and sang in piano bars. He won a TV talent competition in 2006/2007.

YouTube - "è‰åŽŸä¸Šå‡èµ·ä¸è½çš å¤ªé˜³"Uwechue Emmanuel(Hao Ge 郝æ*Œï¼‰

Old 03-01-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev101 View Post
buick has a good image in china. seen as a luxury brand...whereas, in the u.s., it has long been associated with making land-yachts.
the buicks in China are actually pretty cool looking too. I don't know why they don't sell the same models here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia