Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 01:20 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,791,409 times

Advertisements

I was just looking at some international cities on googlemaps to see how different they would look compared to the U.S. where I'm from, and I ran across Singapore and thought to myself that this looks like a really nice place to live.

So I looked at a few websites about Singapore and tried to get a basic feel of how things might be.

I have a few questions.

First, is the cost of living in Singapore better or worse than the average in the U.S.?

Second, Would it be easier for me to get a job in Singapore if I have a college degree from the U.S, or is there a lot of discrimination against Americans?

Last, Have any Americans on this forum ever lived in Singapore or know any American living there? and What do you/they think about living there?

Thank You for any responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 03:19 AM

321 posts, read 960,740 times
There is a very large European/American ex-pat community in Singapore, working mostly in the banking sector.

Worrying about the cost of living is premature if you know almost nothing about the country. Look at it this way: anybody working in Singapore is living there, so that means that the salary is sufficient for survival. If you think that you can live in Singapore "like an American," you can probably forget that. For example, car ownership in Singapore is extremely discouraged with a very high license fee, plus an urban toll in the center of the city (which even taxis must add to the fare). So you would have to learn a whole new way to live in any case. Personally, I love Singapore and have been there at least 20 times -- but I am not sure that I would want to live there.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac2 View Post
There is a very large European/American ex-pat community in Singapore, working mostly in the banking sector.

Worrying about the cost of living is premature if you know almost nothing about the country. Look at it this way: anybody working in Singapore is living there, so that means that the salary is sufficient for survival. If you think that you can live in Singapore "like an American," you can probably forget that. For example, car ownership in Singapore is extremely discouraged with a very high license fee, plus an urban toll in the center of the city (which even taxis must add to the fare). So you would have to learn a whole new way to live in any case. Personally, I love Singapore and have been there at least 20 times -- but I am not sure that I would want to live there.
Thank you for the response. I don't really want to own a car if the city has public transportation for use anyways. I just basically want to get a job, a studio apartment, and have enough money to maybe go to a bar every 2 weeks. Other than that I would be living the simple life like I am here in the U.S....I really don't go out to eat or to the movies ect..I usually spend my days working out or on here or studying college material and that's about all I think I would be doing over there if I were to move. Thanks for the response. I was basically just trying to see if it would be easy to fit in over there as an American. Thanks

Old 06-04-2010, 06:06 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
I've been to Singapore many times.

The way you say 'fitting in as an American' makes alarm bells ring. I'm an American, and I feel I'd fit in just fine...but I've lived in Asia for years, and like the kind of lifestyle over here.

The 'fitting in as an american' seems to imply there is something much more american about you, and less adaptable somehow....somehow attached to your nationality more than others? Not sure exactly.

Things are generally very 'depends on the person' than a 'this nationality belongs or doesn't belong here' type of thing.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:16 AM

321 posts, read 960,740 times
If, on the other hand, the question was actually about the possibility of racism, you are unlikely to see that in Singapore, which is a fantastically successful melting pot of all of the cultures of the world. Even in the less mixed cities of Southeast Asia, one rarely if ever encounters any hostility based on one's Western origins. (Asians in many countries are much more likely to have issues among themselves than with the tiny Western minority.)

Old 06-04-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've been to Singapore many times.

The way you say 'fitting in as an American' makes alarm bells ring. I'm an American, and I feel I'd fit in just fine...but I've lived in Asia for years, and like the kind of lifestyle over here.

The 'fitting in as an american' seems to imply there is something much more american about you, and less adaptable somehow....somehow attached to your nationality more than others? Not sure exactly.

Nah, I actually kind of feel like I don't fit in sometimes in America, but just trying to see if people over there would accept me as a westerner having known only the ways of life from the western world?

Old 06-04-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Nah, I actually kind of feel like I don't fit in sometimes in America, but just trying to see if people over there would accept me as a westerner having known only the ways of life from the western world?
I'd recommend teaching English in a place like Japan, Korea, China, Taiwan, etc.

Singapore is a great place...but it's more for business professionals if you are a 'standard white american'. Unless you've been doing the MBA thing, it might be a bit challenging finding work there.

Also, where are you in the U.S.? I've lived in six states before I went overseas...and they are all so different in every conceivable way.

That being said, I like Singaporeans, and Asians quite a bit. I like the thinking as well. But if you are in Asia, you'll always be perceived as a westerner, for better or worse. You'll never escape that part. But, it's more about does that bother you or not to be perceived as one.

I know expats in Asia...who HATE being perceived as westerners, and would probably eat you up, if you feel that way. But, anyays, for me...I'm very comfortable in my role as a westerner....even if it does get annoying having people ask me all day long if I 'like asian food' or if I can 'use chopsticks' - after years of doing both day in day out all the time.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
I'd recommend teaching English in a place like Japan, Korea, China, Taiwan, etc.

Actually my ex girlfriend teaches English in Korea, I always wondered how do you teach English to foreigners without knowing their language also?...lol

I assume they know a minimal amount of English at least right?

Singapore is a great place...but it's more for business professionals if you are a 'standard white american'. Unless you've been doing the MBA thing, it might be a bit challenging finding work there.

I'm actually in college studying networking right now, but I plan on getting into something else after this, maybe the medical field or counseling kids or something. I don't know yet, but the degree I'm working on is kind of like a thing I started in my early 20's but had to quit because of family issues, so I'm back trying to finish what I started.

Also, where are you in the U.S.? I've lived in six states before I went overseas...and they are all so different in every conceivable way.

I'm in Nashville at the moment, but I grew up in Florida (Miami, Orlando, Tallahassee, Lake City areas). I've also lived in Texas and California when I was a kid, but can't remember too much about it. Which states did you live in? Do you like it better over there than in the U.S.?

That being said, I like Singaporeans, and Asians quite a bit. I like the thinking as well. But if you are in Asia, you'll always be perceived as a westerner, for better or worse. You'll never escape that part. But, it's more about does that bother you or not to be perceived as one.

I kind of think it would be a good thing because maybe the ladies and employers would notice me because I'm not the same old same old type of person from around there...lol...maybe, I don't know

I know expats in Asia...who HATE being perceived as westerners, and would probably eat you up, if you feel that way. But, anyays, for me...I'm very comfortable in my role as a westerner....even if it does get annoying having people ask me all day long if I 'like asian food' or if I can 'use chopsticks' - after years of doing both day in day out all the time.

I think I'd be fine over there just by the tone of your statement there. I like being the outkast or different, but I like to show people that they can like the difference too, and that I like other people also.

My answers are in blue above, thanks for your reply. I'm just at a turning point in life coming up and want to try something new. Maybe Asia might be for me, who knows?

Old 06-04-2010, 07:34 AM

That's one of the biggest misconceptions of teaching english in asia. That you MUST speak the native language to teach english. Not true at all. Exact opposite. I lived in Korea for years...and you are NOT suppose to speak Korean in the classroom at all, even if you are fluent in it.

There are plenty of Koreans who can teach grammar and word translations and whatever else to their fellow Koreans...what they need is practice LISTENING and SPEAKING english...not listening to people speak in Korean about English

Yes, Koreans know basic English. They've studied it their entire lives...they just can't speak it - very well. They'll study with Koreans until they get to a point where they decide they want to be conversational in English, and move to a foreigner.

IN the U.S., I lived in MI, MN, AZ, CA, NY and OR. I hated growing up in Michigan...(incidentally southerners and midwesterners seem to have a lot in common in my opinion). Everywhere else I went was significantly better. Maybe, for you, if you aren't gelling with TN folks, you might easily with say OR folks, who knows. Being you are interested in Asia, you'd probably do well anywhere in the Pacific side of the U.S. - I know I certainly do.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
That's one of the biggest misconceptions of teaching english in asia. That you MUST speak the native language to teach english. Not true at all. Exact opposite. I lived in Korea for years...and you are NOT suppose to speak Korean in the classroom at all, even if you are fluent in it.

That's kind of what I figured, just didn't know for sure.

There are plenty of Koreans who can teach grammar and word translations and whatever else to their fellow Koreans...what they need is practice LISTENING and SPEAKING english...not listening to people speak in Korean about English

Yes, Koreans know basic English. They've studied it their entire lives...they just can't speak it - very well. They'll study with Koreans until they get to a point where they decide they want to be conversational in English, and move to a foreigner.

IN the U.S., I lived in MI, MN, AZ, CA, NY and OR. I hated growing up in Michigan...(incidentally southerners and midwesterners seem to have a lot in common in my opinion). Everywhere else I went was significantly better. Maybe, for you, if you aren't gelling with TN folks, you might easily with say OR folks, who knows. Being you are interested in Asia, you'd probably do well anywhere in the Pacific side of the U.S. - I know I certainly do.

Well it's funny because my brother's girlfriend is from Michigan and we are from Florida and she lived in Florida with us for 2 years and said that people were about the same as far as bad attitudes goes...lol

Actually Tennessee is a place where people are pretty nice compared to Florida, but I think I would fit in more out west compared to here as you say
Hey, thanks for the response..I need to get some sleep so I'll talk to you later. Have a great day ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia