Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:02 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times

Advertisements

We just moved and our neighbor is religious. I dont like the guy. So Sunday I had misplaced my keys, I was running around frantically yelling, cant find the keys I am late. Well he came over and asked me what was up, just as I found my keys, I yelled thank you Santa!! ( instead of thank the lord" or thank you lord") He asked " Santa"? I said, yea if your going to believe in myths it might as well be the good one!! He walked away. hehehehehehehe! He hasn't talked to me since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 09:35 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Lamplight: The Ancestor's Tale is a great book! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. (I know, that can't be quantified, but it's a fine read!)
Indeed it is! But I'm only about halfway through it. At any given moment I may have 3 or 4 books I read in rotation. If I find myself getting a little bored with one I'll switch to another for a while. That what when I return to the other it's fresh to me.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:34 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I once heard one of my coworkers say that all atheists are drug addicted, jobless, worthless pieces of trash. I didn't mention that he, in fact, knows one atheist who is none of those things. Perhaps I should have, but I do value my job.

And I've noticed that certain books are placed on the very bottom shelves in book stores, even at the large chain book stores. For example, I had to practically sprawl out on the floor to find Richard Dawkins' book The Ancestor's Tale at my local Barnes & Noble.
In situations like the one with your coworker, that's when I tilt my head and say, "Huh. Interesting." I make it sound as though I am observing a new specimen of insect under glass. Then they usually squirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Yes, I have noticed all those things about bookstores here and in MS, where I grew up. The hardcore science books (biology, physics, geology, etc.) comprise usually no more than 2-3 shelves, usually small ones. I visited a friend in St. Louis not long ago and was pleasantly surprised and at home in a "large" science section, taking up two small bookcases.
I haven't noticed that where I am, but I haven't really looked. I do know that where I used to live, in the D.C. area, there were entire bookstores devoted to science. (Real science, not Christian Science reading rooms, although there were those, too.)

Last edited by Yzette; 08-24-2010 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: Changed c-o-c-k to "tilt" because it got censored. Gimme a break!

Old 08-24-2010, 09:36 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
The incredibly willful ignorance of sanctimonious nonthinkers who don't know how to think for themselves so they let Pope Benedict and the like do all the thinking for them. Religious authorities say that atheists are evil wicked amoral hedonistic baby rapers, therefore that is so in the mind of the nonthinker. It doesn't matter if they meet an honorable moral atheist that works for the betterment of humanity. To the ignorant nonthinker, such a thing is automatically impossible in their understanding. This is the reason they think the ancient scribblings of iron age sheepherding warmongering bigots gives a person good morality rather than a solid basis of reason, observation and empathy. Their pastor tells them that fear is the way to being moral, but empathy, honor and critical thinking makes someone an amoral self serving sociopath.

Mind you not all believers hold this mentality.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:00 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,251,422 times
The fact is that you are right -- I don't know many atheists, and I am quite sure that the atheist in my neighborhood is a very poor example.

When I first became a Christian, I know now that I was quite obnoxious with my new-found understanding. Loud-mouthed, demanding, smart alec, know-it-all, and more.

When I became Messianic, I know now that I was quite obnoxious with my new-found understanding. Loud-mouthed, demanding, smart alec, know-it-all, ugly, critical, and worse.

And the atheist in my neighborhood is, bluntly, loud-mouthed, demanding, smart alec, know-it-all, ugly, critical, attacking, confrontational, bitter, angry, suit-happy, and worse. I think she is a poor representation of atheism, if the majority of atheists on this board are make any representation at all. However, I think she is this way for a reason, but her hard shell will not crack enough for me to even be kind to her. I must remind myself that she lives in constant physical pain; I don't think she intends to come across this way. Also, perhaps she is very new to atheism.

But obviously, unless we think, we tend to measure people by the few examples of those in our lives. If I were to measure atheists by her, without those on this board, my ideas would be very skewed.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:25 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
That is a worthwhile reminder not to judge ideas or movements by individuals, though its very easy to do that and even more easy to pick out the worst individuals of a group who we may want to discredit.

I'm sorry that you have an agressive. litiginous example of an atheist neighbour rather than a nice, kind, lovable one like..............................

.................................................. ........................ .. ..................

......................................I wish you had a nice, kind lovable atheist neighbour.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
That is a worthwhile reminder not to judge ideas or movements by individuals, though its very easy to do that and even more easy to pick out the worst individuals of a group who we may want to discredit.
Way too true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I'm sorry that you have an agressive. litiginous example of an atheist neighbour rather than a nice, kind, lovable one like..............................

.................................................. ........................ .. ..................

......................................I wish you had a nice, kind lovable atheist neighbour.
I have to remember that physical pain can cause some to be different from what their normal personality would be. I think underneath, she is a very generous person -- it's just that I have not seen that in a long time. But part of that is that I tend to avoid her. (We have increased our home insurance coverage because of her, though. $$$)

Old 08-25-2010, 08:40 AM

705 posts, read 1,110,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
The fact is that you are right -- I don't know many atheists, and I am quite sure that the atheist in my neighborhood is a very poor example.

When I first became a Christian, I know now that I was quite obnoxious with my new-found understanding. Loud-mouthed, demanding, smart alec, know-it-all, and more.

When I became Messianic, I know now that I was quite obnoxious with my new-found understanding. Loud-mouthed, demanding, smart alec, know-it-all, ugly, critical, and worse.

And the atheist in my neighborhood is, bluntly, loud-mouthed, demanding, smart alec, know-it-all, ugly, critical, attacking, confrontational, bitter, angry, suit-happy, and worse. I think she is a poor representation of atheism, if the majority of atheists on this board are make any representation at all. However, I think she is this way for a reason, but her hard shell will not crack enough for me to even be kind to her. I must remind myself that she lives in constant physical pain; I don't think she intends to come across this way. Also, perhaps she is very new to atheism.

But obviously, unless we think, we tend to measure people by the few examples of those in our lives. If I were to measure atheists by her, without those on this board, my ideas would be very skewed.

I don't really think the atheism has anything at all to do with this person being "bluntly, loud-mouthed, demanding, smart alec, know-it-all, ugly, critical, attacking, confrontational, bitter, angry, suit-happy" One could describe with these words a baptist, islamist, catholic, etc. This application of atheism to behaviour and personality traits seems entirely erroneous, much like attributing certain behaviours to hair color, height, etc. Just my 2 cents, as a radical atheist, of course.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
I don't really think the atheism has anything at all to do with this person being "bluntly, loud-mouthed, demanding, smart alec, know-it-all, ugly, critical, attacking, confrontational, bitter, angry, suit-happy" One could describe with these words a baptist, islamist, catholic, etc. This application of atheism to behaviour and personality traits seems entirely erroneous, much like attributing certain behaviours to hair color, height, etc. Just my 2 cents, as a radical atheist, of course.
You are absolutely right. I hadn't thought of it that way, because my introduction to her atheism was after they had lived there a good 4 - 5 years. I got out of my car at my house, hadn't had a chance to say more than a friendly with-a-smile greeting, and without any reason, she lit into me about how G-d does not exist, He is a figment of stupid imaginations, she didn't want to hear about my G-d, etc., etc., etc.

I was stunned! I could not remember any time I had said anything about G-d to her -- I am more of a "live it and pray" person until I feel invited to say anything -- then, I love to talk about Him! But I hadn't said anything to her about G-d that was memorable.

As I have written, I think it is the incessant pain that makes her like this.

I am trying very hard to think of other atheists I know personally . . . .

Old 08-25-2010, 09:01 AM

705 posts, read 1,110,100 times
Sounds like she was preachin her stuff right outta the chute, much like a bible thumper would preacher theirs. Thats why I dont wear my atheism on my sleeve, I dont want to hear any religious mumbo jumbo from anyone, so dont go around and spouting off about my beliefs, I certainly would not want to be seen as hypocritical by anyone. But if I'm asked, I'll tell 'em what I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism