Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:38 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,166,776 times

Advertisements

I always hear about traditional church marriage, where the father gives the bride away but how about atheists who get married?

I have no plans on carrying a traditional wedding ceremony. The day I get married will be at a court building (no walking down the aisle, no bells ringing, nor the ''I'll give her away'' speech but just my family and friends being there, which means the same to me... their presence is all that counts).

I don't believe in god and don't need a priest doing the speech for me. However, when I have stated being atheist and not wanting a traditional marriage, there are certain people that confuse this for not believing in marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 09:10 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
All the atheist I know believe in getting married... no reason they shouldn't!

Old 08-25-2012, 09:16 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,166,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
All the atheist I know believe in getting married... no reason they shouldn't!
Yeah don't see what does not believing in god has to do with not wanting commitment.

These are two comments I recalled seeing once on another site regarding atheists that want to get married:

''As you don’t belief of God so I just tell you why you will need to marriage? You can live together with your boy friend. Marriage is a natural and God gift system on human.''

or ''Marriage is a religious ceremony for religious people. It is about making a commitment in front of God. Since that is the case then why do so many atheists get married?''

Old 08-26-2012, 08:56 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
I recently attended a wedding between two atheists. They had "family traditions" rather than "religious" parts in their wedding (for example they had the Unity Candle ceremony like one set of parents had at their wedding). As they predicted not one person attending the wedding even noticed that God wasn't mentioned during the ceremony. Everyone thought that it was a beautiful wedding ceremony.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:02 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
What is a traditional wedding???

Most of what we consider as wedding traditions only became customary in the first half of the 20th Century.

Last edited by ovcatto; 08-26-2012 at 09:10 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 12:52 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
Yeah don't see what does not believing in god has to do with not wanting commitment.

These are two comments I recalled seeing once on another site regarding atheists that want to get married:

''As you don’t belief of God so I just tell you why you will need to marriage? You can live together with your boy friend. Marriage is a natural and God gift system on human.''

or ''Marriage is a religious ceremony for religious people. It is about making a commitment in front of God. Since that is the case then why do so many atheists get married?''
This clip from Blazing Saddles pretty much sums up my feelings on this....

Blazing Saddles... You know, morons. - YouTube

Old 08-27-2012, 01:55 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I've had religious people speak of the same thing...but historically marriage has been cultural, not religious. It was a business transaction for the most part and an easy way for men to make sure they knew which children they sired.

Weddings are what you make of them, and I figure as long as the couple is happy that's all that really matters

Old 08-27-2012, 07:08 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
There are tons of non-religious, non-church marriages occuring all the time. You can do a wedding just about anywhere, and have a justice of the peace perform the ceremony. Anything from doing it at court or city hall, to a park, beach, reception hall, or exotic location with a destination wedding.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:31 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
2 more atheists will be married as of Sept. 8. We wrote up a really nice secular ceremony and an officiant from the Ethical Society will lead it. Believing in god seems a strange requirement for standing up in front of friends and family and promising to commit to another person.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:14 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
2 more atheists will be married as of Sept. 8. We wrote up a really nice secular ceremony and an officiant from the Ethical Society will lead it. Believing in god seems a strange requirement for standing up in front of friends and family and promising to commit to another person.
Indeed.

My ex and I are both atheists and we were married in a courthouse. Religion was not brought up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism