Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:52 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times

Advertisements

Oddly enough, they are some of the same things that many believers argue amongst themselves over. Funny and interesting read:

5 Things You Won't Believe Aren't In the Bible | Cracked.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 02:10 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Crap. This site is restricted by my company and therefore I cannot access it

Old 10-20-2010, 04:54 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Angels.
Actually, they are, but surprisingly for divine beings, they come in a variety of forms

The devil's pitchform, horns and goat legs.
The devil is in the Bible of course, but the conventional appearance derived from Pan plus a toasting - fork for use in barbequeing sinners is as unoriginal as Santa's red suit.
The Holy Grail.
Well, actually it is, if you take it as one of the bits of crockery used at the Last Supper, but all the Houpla and Hulabaloo is part of the Arthurian legend, not the Bible.
The Antichrist...well actually, he is in the Bible..."The Antichrist is mentioned only four times in the Bible, and each time he's described the same way:
Hell.
Well, of course, it is, quite a lot, actually (only the NT). But it is rather vague about it. IMO it was invented by Christians and none of them knew a darn thing about it.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:19 AM

37,442 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Well, I am a Christian, I have been through seminary, and I agree entirely with the article.

Each of those topics have been completely made-up from the imagination of recent writers and leaders; and are not found in the Bible.

On a slightly related topic; there is a phrase used in the New Testament, 'agnoein' or 'Agnoeo'.
It means to be 'without a full understanding'. Agnoea is only used seven times in the Bible and each time it is used to introduce a new topic. Each time it is used in the context as God commanding Christians to have a full understanding of: blah topic.

It is then, easily reasoned that these seven topics, [ that God commands us not to be 'without a full
understanding' of ] are in fact the basic foundational topics of doctrine that each Christian is to be familiar with.

7 doctrines that we are commanded to have an understanding of, and yet I have seen surveys done, out of a crowd of 100 participants, each listing seven doctrines which they would each consider 'basic' doctrines. You get a really long list of ideas. Generally most of them will not include even one of these seven that we are commanded to know.

My point being that today in mainstream Christianity there is truly very little Bible included, and a great deal of ignorance.

'Three wise men from the East': The Bible does not say there were three. The OT tells us who taught them the prophecies in the first place, and where they lived. They were part of a large religion of that era. But the mainstream teachings today leave out everything we do know about them, and fill the voids with myth. [I know as agnostics you can easily claim that all of the Bible is myth] It makes things difficult when so many who proclaim to be Christians teach so many myths.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:37 AM

I imagine that many would say that it doesn't matter about he details of what myths are not in the Bible (Like the Holy Graeal) or are in the Bible (like the star) so long as people believe that Jesus was the son of God and rose from the dead. That's all you need to believe.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:43 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Angels.
Actually, they are, but surprisingly for divine beings, they come in a variety of forms
It's specifically referring to the blond anglo-saxon guardian angel of the type that christian mommies and daddies tell their kids is hovering over their beds at night.

Quote:
The devil's pitchform, horns and goat legs.
The devil is in the Bible of course, but the conventional appearance derived from Pan plus a toasting - fork for use in barbequeing sinners is as unoriginal as Santa's red suit.

The Holy Grail.
Well, actually it is, if you take it as one of the bits of crockery used at the Last Supper, but all the Houpla and Hulabaloo is part of the Arthurian legend, not the Bible.

The Antichrist...well actually, he is in the Bible..."The Antichrist is mentioned only four times in the Bible, and each time he's described the same way:

Hell.
Well, of course, it is, quite a lot, actually (only the NT). But it is rather vague about it. IMO it was invented by Christians and none of them knew a darn thing about it.
Like the angel, we're talking about the version of these things that are shown in movies or told in stories. They simply don't exist in the bible.

Satan is not physically described in the bible. The "grail" came from later, non-biblical stories, the antichrist is not a specific entity but rather anyone who denies the divinity of Jesus (so that means I'm an antichrist), and the popular version of Hell comes straight from the schizophrenic, drug-addled visions of Dante.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:58 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Five things that aren't in the bible...

Logic, truth, morals, good prose, originality

Old 10-25-2010, 09:54 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Crap. This site is restricted by my company and therefore I cannot access it
Proxy servers are your friend.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:35 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
As far as naming of the angels, that came from the Catholic Church. Very few angels get to be named in the Bible itself. But they are mentioned.

The phrase "God helps them that help themselves" is not found in the Bible anywhere, though some that agree with the phrase--as I do--believe it to be in there somewhere.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:07 AM

Actually, make that eight. We also miss humour, sound logic, and accurate quotemining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism