Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 05:13 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,143,718 times

Advertisements

My son has played baseball for a little league that has a priest bless all players before the league starts for the year. The kids also say a pledge before each game that has a part that includes God. This irritates me to no end. Why is it necessary to bring religion of any kind into kid's sports? What if I want a prayer to Vishnu to be included? But we're a "christian nation" so that wont be happening.

Don't even get me started on Boy Scouts! My son loves the Scouts but religion is stuffed down his throat at every turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 06:56 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,693,453 times
Well, you can't do anything about the Scouts. Unfortunately they're allowed to be a bigoted and discriminatory organization. Not sure where the funding for your little league comes from, but if any of it is public money, you may have a case to get them to stop the prayers and the god-pledge.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:51 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,558,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Well, you can't do anything about the Scouts. Unfortunately they're allowed to be a bigoted and discriminatory organization. Not sure where the funding for your little league comes from, but if any of it is public money, you may have a case to get them to stop the prayers and the god-pledge.

Possibly if the ball fields are owned by the county or city. Here I'm not sure where the funds for uniforms, etc. come from, but the ball fields themselves are owned by the county Parks & Rec.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Possibly if the ball fields are owned by the county or city. Here I'm not sure where the funds for uniforms, etc. come from, but the ball fields themselves are owned by the county Parks & Rec.
Yeah. His best bet is to first ask nicely for the ball club to refrain from religious display. Maybe they'll be reasonable, maybe not. But I would ask first, and go from there depending on the response I received.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:38 PM

871 posts, read 3,020,649 times
Mike. Don't sweat it. I have 2 boys (now 16 and 14) and one still attends Catholic high school. He has to endure morality class, etc. The other is in public high school. He attended 3 years of Catholic middle school. My wife attended Catholic high school and BC. Don't sweat it. It's only for the politics of it all.

Both my boys are disdainful of organized religion and we did not indoctrinate them one way or another.

Your boy will find his own way. I was 50 before I started to see the light and really get serious about actively shunning the religious BS. Just let it flow.....when your son is, ideally, 13, let him make up his own mind and keep it simple.

I had to attend a college tuition assistance seminar the other night and it was begun with a "Hail Mary". I just mumbled the recipe for jambalaya and it was all good.

You have friends here. Please don't despair. The generation will come that will start to wipe out organized religion. Right now is not the time. There is too much polarization in society. Just hug your boy and teach him that certain people are mixed up and you'll help him get through this mess. Life in general is quite nice on its own merits and the prayer stuff is just foo-foo.

Regards!
Sir Nodsalot

Old 10-17-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
Mike. Don't sweat it.
I disagree. He should politely request that the activity cease, in order to make a welcoming environment for all children in the group. If atheists keep being quiet and submissive about the forcible intrusion of religion into their lives and the lives of their children, it will never change.

Someone has to start the ball rolling to even the playing field. The scouts are allowed to be discriminatory because they're a private organization. However, if the little league is not a private organization, then they are doing the wrong thing by bringing in a priest and having prayers.

I say he should talk to the league organization about it.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:05 AM

871 posts, read 3,020,649 times
I do agree with you in essence. You and I actually agree on almost everything! I just detected some angst on Mike's part and tried to help him minimalize it. Hopefully, with his maturity and guidance he can work with his young son to deflect the nonsense.

I do not desire to see religious scars inflicted on anyone. I am much more militant in my thinking, just in the past 6 months, but not yet a true activist. I would hate to see Mike's son get bamboozled like I was for 50 years, and my parents actually did nothing to help matters.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:49 AM

18,951 posts, read 11,610,812 times
It doesn't seem from the OP that Mike is asking for advice - just an opportunity to vent and be heard by people who 'get it.' If his son loves the Scouts and religion is even more of a feature there, it's unlikely a quick pledge at Little League is weighing heavily on the boy. It's the dad who is irked. I 'get' that - it would rankle me, too. I agree with Eloy, though, that it isn't worth pursuing that battle. Chances are it would just make things uncomfortable for his son and, IMO, since his kid likes everything else about it, it's more important in this case of him to be happy than for his dad to change the world of little league prayer.

Overall, it totally grrrs me - in non-religious settings - when people assume that it's acceptable to pray AND that the prayer 'should' be Christian/Jesus based.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
It doesn't seem from the OP that Mike is asking for advice - just an opportunity to vent and be heard by people who 'get it.' If his son loves the Scouts and religion is even more of a feature there, it's unlikely a quick pledge at Little League is weighing heavily on the boy. It's the dad who is irked. I 'get' that - it would rankle me, too. I agree with Eloy, though, that it isn't worth pursuing that battle. Chances are it would just make things uncomfortable for his son and, IMO, since his kid likes everything else about it, it's more important in this case of him to be happy than for his dad to change the world of little league prayer.

Overall, it totally grrrs me - in non-religious settings - when people assume that it's acceptable to pray AND that the prayer 'should' be Christian/Jesus based.
It's not a quick pledge though. He says a priest is called in to pray and bless the kids. That's unacceptable unless it's a Catholic school.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:05 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,210,725 times
I agree. That is going way too far. It doesn't surprise me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism