Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:23 PM

37,055 posts, read 42,006,001 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of non believing politician is various offices. Probably some past WH folks as well. Like everything else, politicians say what they know someone wants to hear. Whether they mean it or not is an entirely different story and one we will never know. I don't know about someone who publicly proclaims that they don't believe, there are way too many simpletons who equate believing in god with "being good people". That's just the wacky world we live in, many times we are forced to lie to get along in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 07:00 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,436,651 times
30 - 40 years ago no one would have given a black man any chance at all of being elected president. Why was that? Bigotry, fear and hatred.
Why could an Atheist not be elected today? Bigotry, fear and hatred.

But first we have to survive idiots starting wars over which god is the right god to give us enough time to get to that point.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:04 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,436,651 times
Here we have a member of city council that is an Atheist, and the idiots howled their hatred from the churches and tried to say that state law would prevent him from taking office.

There is such a law, but has been overturned by the courts a long time ago.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:23 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,807,735 times
Can a non believer be elected

Alas.........Only by an enlightened electorate. AND...... some states ban this outright. (probably because it has not been pressed in the courts)

Old 11-14-2010, 08:24 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,424,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
to high public office?

I don't know if it has been discussed here before but I was just thinking that I would be more comfortable with a professed non believer politician who could come up with good ideas/solutions.
Not that I would vote for somebody just because they were a non believer.
I am sure I have voted for some that were faux believers.
I just find it disturbing that some politicians might be asking for Gods help in problem solving.
I'd imagine no.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:15 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,863,427 times
Probably not in my lifetime. Bummer.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:56 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,563,808 times
From what I see of the circus around each American elections since I have been a child, not a chance in Hell. It seems pretending to be a Christian is essential in the US for true Political success. I assume some States are a little less obsessed with the religious content of their politicians'hearts but a lot of Americans still seem to value religion.

It never ceases to amaze me how American politicians have to wear American flags on their lapels and continously chant "God bless America" to be seen as worthy of political office. Very odd indeed and a little disturbing.

Religion should be about the relationship between yourself and your God, why it is deemed desirable to constantly shove it down people's throats is bizarre .

I could not care less whether my Prime Minister is Christian or an Atheist. As long as he/she is intelligent, hard working, knowledgeable, willing to learn from his/her mistakes, has a good grasp of foreign and domestic issues, and is someone who has a modicum of respect for the electorate he/she serves and a good dose of common sense and principles that it pretty much all I ask of them. I do not need to know their belief or lack of therein in a deity.

As long as they are moderate I have no issue with it.

I am always deeply suspicious of anyone who chants their beliefs a little too much. It smacks of desperation and weakness IMO and the fear of not being liked. I just wish most politicians in the US felt comfortable enough to come "out of the closet" and declare themselves what many must be, Atheist or at least Agnostic. But socio-cultural pressures still have to be obeyed or the risk is one will be shunned by the voting masses. Very , very sad.

How can we truly move on to an intelligent political platform and true democratic dialogue when so many people still care one way or another about one 's religion ? A little more maturity woudl be a grand thing, it might make politics a little more constructive rather than destructive.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:48 AM

467 posts, read 1,185,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Here we have a member of city council that is an Atheist, and the idiots howled their hatred from the churches and tried to say that state law would prevent him from taking office.
Glad you pointed this out. All the up in arms, local media hoopla made great entertainment.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:56 AM

13,139 posts, read 22,725,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
to high public office?

I don't know if it has been discussed here before but I was just thinking that I would be more comfortable with a professed non believer politician who could come up with good ideas/solutions.
Not that I would vote for somebody just because they were a non believer.
I am sure I have voted for some that were faux believers.
I just find it disturbing that some politicians might be asking for Gods help in problem solving.
We've got one running the country now, and have many times before. For most of them "chrisitian belief" is merely a public facade.

Ya know the old saying: "You can tell a politician is lying when his lips are moving".

Old 11-17-2010, 10:19 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,311,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
We've got one running the country now, and have many times before. For most of them "chrisitian belief" is merely a public facade.

Ya know the old saying: "You can tell a politician is lying when his lips are moving".
I didn't know Obama professed to be a non believer, when did he do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism