Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:58 AM

419 posts, read 869,573 times

Advertisements

I could not believe (well, maybe I can) how low some Christians will go to influence young children. Attached is one of several pamphlets people can buy to pass out on Halloween night for the trick-or-treaters. My MIL had given this to my 8 year old. I looked at the cover and thought it was just a maze activity. Then my kid showed me the inside with religious dogma like "...we deserve to be punished..." and "God is waiting for you to ask for forgiveness..."

And on the back of the pamphlet they ask for the child's name, age, and address so the publisher can send more Christian literature. This reminds me of how a predator might operate.
Attached Thumbnails
Religious Propraganda Aimed at Kids-hidden-treat1.jpg   Religious Propraganda Aimed at Kids-hidden-treat2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 12:30 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,843,363 times
Crooked men will always be trying to catch impressionable minds, whether they want them to feel guilty for their "sins", buy "super crunchy mega-bits" or idolize "dear leader".

The only solution is to teach kids how to recognize manipulation.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:33 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,781,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaida View Post
I could not believe (well, maybe I can) how low some Christians will go to influence young children. Attached is one of several pamphlets people can buy to pass out on Halloween night for the trick-or-treaters. My MIL had given this to my 8 year old. I looked at the cover and thought it was just a maze activity. Then my kid showed me the inside with religious dogma like "...we deserve to be punished..." and "God is waiting for you to ask for forgiveness..."

And on the back of the pamphlet they ask for the child's name, age, and address so the publisher can send more Christian literature. This reminds me of how a predator might operate.

....grooming....

Old 01-31-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Crooked men will always be trying to catch impressionable minds, whether they want them to feel guilty for their "sins", buy "super crunchy mega-bits" or idolize "dear leader".

The only solution is to teach kids how to recognize manipulation.
So true.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
....grooming....
I say let them groom their own kids and leave others' alone. In a perfect world...

Old 01-31-2011, 04:56 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,112,460 times
Looking at those two things in the OP, I have to say they are a little creepy.

I'd use this as an opportunity to explain a few things to them. One of those things being this God fellow Christians believe in. Turn a negative into a positive.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:14 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,558,986 times
Sick predators who have no business attempting to influence the beliefs of any other persons child. I would have a discussion with them and be very clear about the line they crossed, and there would be no misunderstanding that they will not cross that line again with my children.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:17 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,463,791 times
Some people have no shame.

What on earth would these same people say if one of us non believers did something similar to their children. The reaction would be monumental.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:28 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,952,224 times
Creationist propaganda for kids

Creationism propaganda for children caught on camera_x264 - Think Atheist

Old 02-01-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
What on earth would these same people say if one of us non believers did something similar to their children. The reaction would be monumental.
Next Halloween I may print some of my own literature and if I catch someone trying to hand my kids their propaganda, I'll return the favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism