Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 10:52 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,795,112 times

Advertisements

Can a christian be demon posessed

Unlikely since a demon is just as much a part of superstition as is a god. But, I do believe in trolls, why else would you pose this question in the Atheist and Agnostic forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 02:39 AM

164 posts, read 263,667 times
Jesus got our brian and heart and spirit, just maybe most don't got Him but think they do. But a real one, you can tell, it is really different. Not going to be popular, but going to stand up for what is right and love his enemies.

arena

Old 05-01-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
No, his is not necessarily a "conviction". What is a conviction? It is an unshakable belief/faith that a particular concept is in fact "the truth."

An athiest may have a "belief" that there is no God but it certainly isn't a "conviction". Why? Because the "belief" that there is no god does not require "faith".

Faith is required for a "conviction" because faith requires one to "believe" something and as a mental exercise, not allow competing/conflicting beliefs to be in consideration.

Thus, we have the concept of "enough" or levels of faith. One who holds a belief and who ponders other competing thoughts is considered to have "little faith" whereas others who do NOT ponder these competing ideas are considered to have "deep faith."

Firstborn888 may believe something but feel free to consider the alternative view(s) and therefore is not bound to having a "conviction."

And to bring this around, if you have "little faith" then you wouldn't want to get around any demon possessed people because the demon might leave that person and take up residence in YOU. However, if you have "deep faith" you can run the demon off somewhere. In fact, you can do like Jesus did in the bible and run the demons into a herd of pigs. I don't think pigs have "enough faith" to ward off demons.
In my opinions neither do some christians.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:01 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,586,236 times
Quote:

An athiest may have a "belief" that there is no God but it certainly isn't a "conviction". Why? Because the "belief" that there is no god does not require "faith".

Faith is required for a "conviction" because faith requires one to "believe" something and as a mental exercise, not allow competing/conflicting beliefs to be in consideration.

Thus, we have the concept of "enough" or levels of faith. One who holds a belief and who ponders other competing thoughts is considered to have "little faith" whereas others who do NOT ponder these competing ideas are considered to have "deep faith."
In biblical Greek and Hebrew the word "faith" simply denotes "confidence". For example: If I have had numerous business transactions with someone, and they ALL turned out great and the person conducted his/her self with utmost integrity I would probably have faith (ie: confidence) that in the next business transaction we were entering into the person would exhibit the same traits.

Then - this would NOT constitute a lack of evidence, only a lack of physical (ie: seen) evidence. This becomes intangible but "real" evidence - even in a court of law. That is: if, let's say, 5 people testify that the person on trial has always been a peaceful, non-violent person this DOES constitute real evidence that the person is peaceful/non-violent. Yet -though it cannot be tested in a laboratory, it is a belief , that is, a conviction that something is true. Biblically (as opposed to English language tradition) the word FAITH simply means a conviction that something is true. In fact - the Hebrew word AMEN comes from the same root word. When you say "amen" you are saying "I agree that what was just said STANDS as something that is true".
Quote:

Firstborn888 may believe something but feel free to consider the alternative view(s) and therefore is not bound to having a "conviction."
I do have a "conviction" that ancient and modern superstitions are shadows rather than reality. I also have a conviction that they do exist in the mind of those who believe them.

Also - a real "conviction" IS subject to change when a new understanding or new information appears, correct?

Last edited by firstborn888; 05-01-2011 at 03:16 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 10:52 PM

Can a christian be demon posessed - Part deux

LOL!! you are posing the question to the wrong folks. I am a proudly devout Atheist, I equally disbelieve in any and all of the gods and...all of those imaginary underlings that gods are supposed to have, If I do not believe in their god, which I do not, I will equally not believe in their mythological demon.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:29 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,075,985 times
A Christian can believe he is possessed by demons. What an unhappy scenario. I am pleassed not to live in a demon-haunted world.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:25 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,432,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Ahhhhh! It burns!!!!

Linda Blair said that too....ROFL!

Old 05-14-2011, 02:45 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,220,173 times
Default Yep, it burns, all right!

Heh!

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/...emonkitteh.jpg

Old 05-14-2011, 03:19 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,586,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Heh!
Is that a chupacabra????

Old 05-15-2011, 09:47 AM

7,048 posts, read 9,008,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

We still have to apply the intellect to come to a conclusion...we have the Word of God...
Does. Not. Compute.

Irony meter pegged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism